Problem with cats going to bathroom on rugs

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RockSexton

Yes, I'm up at 4am MST .... and guess what? My cat is now urinating in the litter box again. I switched his litter back to the Tidy Cat and removed the cover and it's back to normal now ......
That is GREAT news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope it stays that way!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Violet

Oh yes. I have a large number of articles and information in books on this subject. One problem with the articles is that not one can offer anything valuable when one is looking for a long-term connection in healthy cats. Urine pH changes constantly, many, many times during a single day and these changes are all temporary. It takes a lot more to make a cat sick than moving a cat to a different cage in a hospital for example which, according to an article, can bring on an increase in urine pH. Or taking a cat to the vet. Etc, etc, etc. Stressful situations have to be ongoing and intense, strongly affecting a cat to make a cat sick. When that happens, a cat does get sick I mean, one gets a far more satisfactory explanation from thinking about cortisol levels and looking for a connection there. Cortisol increases when a cat is stressed. When a cat is under constant stress and cortisol levels are elevated for a long time, this will have negative health effects. Lowered immunity and inflammatory response are just two of the several possible negative health effects. Inflammatory response is especially important for cats with urinary problems.

The other problem with most articles is that they focus on cats with idiopathic cystitis, not healthy cats. Two totally different situations. Not to mention that so-called idiopathic cystitis has some very real and correctable underlying causes that seem to be completely overlooked. Diet, food sensitivities, nutritional imbalances and individual requirements for certain nutrients, for instance.

When it comes to ongoing stressful situations, owners can do many, many things to protect a cat from stress it can't handle. Cats can be protected. Illness brought on by stress can be prevented. The problem is, many owners never even realize that certain situations can be terribly stressful for cats and so they don't do anything about them to make life easier for the cat. They don't think about things from the point how certain situations will affect their cat.
And from what I've seen, it never even occurs to a lot of people to look for information.
Sorry, but I'm totally not understanding the point of this post?
How does a healthy cat develop idiopathic cystitis? I guess there may be cats born with idiopathic cystitis - I've not heard of any. You asked for proof about stress on urine pH. Now you say you have lots of information on this, so I'm totally missing why you asked for proof.

The point was to help the o.p. I'm REALLY happy the situation seems to have resolved!!

.... but it seems to me that moving and changing litter several times would be a source of ongoing stress, which can affect the bladder and urine pH - which you apparently already know - and that was the point of the information being provided. Color me confused.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry you're confused. I thought my post was very clear and easy to understand.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad your cat is using the box again. I definitely am glad you took off the hood and went back to your original litter. I think changing the litter so often was the issue. If I am going to try a new litter, I add a totally new box and put the new litter in that new box too see if anyone likes it. These changes have to made gradually. Pipsqueak has always liked the Tidy cats clumping litter, although dusty. I also use WBCL which Pipsqueak will use, but always chooses the box with the Tidy Cats in it. So I would never take away that litter since I know he like that particular litter. I scoop and check my boxes on and off all day long. Just make sure you are scooping up after your cat often. Good luck and I certainly hope your out-of-the-box troubles are behind you now