Probiotics

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told that Probiotics were great to give your cat on a daily basis. Are they? Also what kind do any of you use (Brand)?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't give them to my cat, but the ones that I have seen discussed most on this site are saccharomyces boulardii, which is yeast based rather than bacteria based (not sure what specific brand), and Proviable which is a multi-strain bacteria probiotic, which also contains prebiotics.
Should I Give My Cat Probiotics? – TheCatSite Articles

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I was typing at the same time as Feebys owner :)

I'm not a vet or nutritionist, but if your cat is getting the nutrition from his food appropriately (has no digestive issues and is not losing weight) and isn't on antibiotics then there's no real reason to give them. I've read they can provide a boost to the immune system, but still...

There's another brand Fera which is also both pre and probiotics. Prebiotics are needed as well, to help the probiotics do their job.

Whichever is used, start very slowly with a low dose.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whichever is used, start very slowly with a low dose.
A big yes to this! One of our cats seems to be very sensitive to probiotics. It's a bit circumstantial (though we've gone through this twice now) but she seems to vomit if she gets too much... and "too much" hasn't even been close to recommended doses.

That said, two of the raw commercial foods we feed have probiotics in them already: Stella's Selects and Nulo. It's altogether possible that daily feedings of those foods provide all the probiotics her very quirky digestive system to handle. Or that I could find success giving her more probiotics if my approach were much (much!) slower.

M Makeetelich92 , I'm glad to hear probiotics have been so helpful for your cats and decreased their vomiting!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Proviable is a good vet-recommended probiotic.

I have also found Pet Flora from Vitality Science to be an excellent probiotic. You can even get a cheaper deal on it with their Finnicky Cat Trial Pack. This way you can see if your cat will eat it and how it treats him/her.
Pet Flora, Cat Probiotics Supplement | Vitality Science
Cat Health Supplements | Finicky Cat Trial Pack | Vitality Science

But the most amazing restorative experience will come from FMT (poop pills from carefully screened healthy donor cats.)
All Products – AnimalBiome

I don't think we achieved a full restoration with our one month protocol because the hairballs are returning. But we're also getting heatwaves and those have always caused my cats grief. They do have testing to see how balanced/imbalanced your cat's gut is. But unfortunately, the testing takes about three weeks. The protocol takes a month. So it wasn't until the last week that I got the report that said she probably could have benefitted from a two pills a day protocol. I have sent in the "after" poop sample for testing and ordered another bottle to start her on a new month at twice a day for the next month. This is not cheap. But the results were quite impressive. She started the month barely able to eat on her own with so much nausea and anorexia. In one month, her appetite has improved, her nausea has lessened, she's gained weight back, and for most of the month, no hairballs.

The one tough part (besides the cost) of the FMT protocol is that you cannot open the pills into their food. There's dried poop in those pills and your cat will not be happy with the smell or the taste. In 30 doses, only two opened on Betty--just one in her mouth. But she gave me such a, "I just got a mouth of poop" look at me that Lil Miss "Never Gets Kibble" got some kibble right away to clear that taste from her mouth and get her interested in her breakfast.

I use this method of getting her to take her own pills. Her food is actually I/D mixed with A/D and the stew chunks in the I/D help us avoid the lick and flick (tossing a pill away) as she's used to picking up morsels rather than simply licking pate.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's info here on using probiotics:

Human probiotics can be used instead of pet specific ones. Higher CFU, more bacteria strains, quality control, etc. Human probiotics come in capsules. A capsule can be pulled apart and the contents sprinkled directly into food, preferably canned food or a moist yummy treat like those lickable treats or whatever your cat likes. A whole capsule is too much for one dose so most people split a capsule between two meals. The capsule halves can be put back together to save the remainder of the probiotic for the next dose. Don't put the partial capsule back into the bottle because you won't be able to find it again. I suggest putting the partial capsule and the entire bottle together in a ziplock baggie.

I have used this product in the past: Extra Care Probiotic 50 Billion

Cats don't need probiotics but it can be helpful. Start with a product with a low CFU for a couple of weeks and then slowly increase if needed. A too high CFU can upset tummies.

I also use Optagest as digestive enzymes and a prebiotic. This one has been well-tolerated by my cats. When I don't mix in Optagest, we get hairballs and nausea.

Optagest | inClover Natural Pet Supplements
daftcat75 daftcat75 Does this product help with hairballs in general?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because cats are not humans and because cats diets differ from humans--humans eat a lot more carbs--I feel more comfortable giving a pet formulated probiotic. But I gave two examples of quality probiotics vs Fortiflora which is more like a flavor enhancement than a probiotic. Saccharomyces boulardii is a special case. It is a yeast-based probiotic that you should absolutely use anytime your cats have diarrhea and especially any time they are prescribed antibiotics. Bacteria-based probiotics are killed by antibiotics. If you try to give bacteria-based probiotics alongside antibiotics, you are killing the probiotics and distracting the antibiotics with additional and unrelated targets. Using a yeast-based probiotic like s. boulardii will help you overcome both of these and keep the stools in good shape while the antibiotics are killing good microbiome strains with the bad. If your cat has been on a longer course of antibiotics or multiple courses, I definitely recommend the FMT pills from AnimalBiome to restore the microbiome more thoroughly than even pet formulated probiotics can accomplish.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 daftcat75 daftcat75 Does this product help with hairballs in general?
I would say it helps indirectly. I haven't solved her hairballs completely. But they definitely get worse if I skip the Optagest. My back-of-the-napkin guess on how this works is that it helps digest the fat earlier in the gut making it less likely to get bound up with hair to form a ball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone so much.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I go to a Cat Hospital for my cats and the vets there all seem to be in agreeance that if you can afford probiotics daily for your cat, it's great to provide it for long term health.

I use Flotiflora, that's what's available here. I only split one littler packet amongst their three bowls.

I have not noticed any tummy upset from it, but like above its a lower dose than recommended. I'd consider increasing to a full dose each over time if there was a less expensive option.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've tried: Fera Pet Organics Probiotics, Nom Nom Probiotic Support, GNC Pets Ultra Mega Probiotic and Prebiotic Formula & NWC Naturals Total-Biotics.

The NWC products are the only ones my cats would take willingly (LOL). I know many people give cats human probiotics, I haven't found any so far that I will try, the majority of the probiotics I take have herbs & other stuff in them.

Probiotics are a MUST if your cat has ever had a round of antibiotics. One round & all the good bacteria is wiped out. Plus they don't do any harm, so every few months I've go through a container for my 3 cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know many people give cats human probiotics, I haven't found any so far that I will try, the majority of the probiotics I take have herbs & other stuff in them.
What brand(s) of probiotics have herbs in them? The big name brands I see in the store just have bacteria strains and maybe a few other things for the capsule (which isn't given to a cat). The Renew Life brand is a good one to try for cats. There's a link above to a TCS thread that discusses Human probiotics, suggested brands to use, etc.

Probiotics are a MUST if your cat has ever had a round of antibiotics. One round & all the good bacteria is wiped out.
Don't give probiotics at the same time as antibiotics though. The antibiotics would just kill the bacteria in the probiotic. Give the probiotic a few hours before or after a dose of antibiotic.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't bother with probiotics while you are giving antibiotics. The antibiotics is continually killing off the good bacteria until you stop giving them. Instead, wait until you finish the antibiotics before you start the probiotics again. In the meantime, while the cat is taking antibiotics (dogs or humans too), you may and should give saccharomyces boulardii. This is a yeast-based probiotic. Because it is yeast-based, it is unaffected by the antibiotics. It doesn't colonize the gut like bacteria-based probiotics though. That means its effect wears off quickly when you stop giving it. It also means it is more appropriate for spot treatment like a gut bug or antibiotics. But a bacteria-based probiotic is recommended for the long-term after the antibiotics are finished to re-colonize the gut with the good bacteria. For severe imbalances like IBD/chronic butt or gut issues, I highly recommend the FMT Gut Restore Supplement protocol from AnimalBiome.
Our Science – AnimalBiome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With Toby's Ears being flared back up from using Cod Liver Oil, I am sure his doctor will give him Antibiotics at least in his ears. I don't know about an antibiotic shot as he just had one last month so I hope to avoid it. Right now, I am still giving him Dr. Marty's Feline Prime which has Pro and Prebiotics in it. After he finishes up his food for today, he will go on the recipe that I got from Jennifer/Viva Raw to make the Duck and Rabbit Pure Complete.
I also heard that Adored Beast Love Bugs from Dr. Judy Morgan was a good one. Love Bugs | Pre & Probiotics
I heard that is isn't good though to continue using the same brand all the time. From what I have seen you guys, if I am not mistaken keep using the same brand all the time or do you rotate between two different brands.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After he finishes up his food for today, he will go on the recipe that I got from Jennifer/Viva Raw to make the Duck and Rabbit Pure Complete.
Chrissy66 Chrissy66
Viva Raw looks interesting! Can you post more about that on the Raw forum here on TCS?

daftcat75 daftcat75 which Kitty Biome product do you use? Gut Restore? I'm waiting for my vet to respond on if we can try one of the products to help with Leroy's IBD.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chrissy66 Chrissy66
Viva Raw looks interesting! Can you post more about that on the Raw forum here on TCS?

daftcat75 daftcat75 which Kitty Biome product do you use? Gut Restore? I'm waiting for my vet to respond on if we can try one of the products to help with Leroy's IBD.
Yes. The Gut Restore. I also did before and after testing. But I’m still waiting on the after test report. The before report seems to suggest Betty has been a kibble eater either primarily or exclusively for some time and her biome has suffered from it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use this method of getting her to take her own pills. Her food is actually I/D mixed with A/D and the stew chunks in the I/D help us avoid the lick and flick (tossing a pill away) as she's used to picking up morsels rather than simply licking pate.
That method is AMAZING. Magnus has some medical needs and the medication became so positive to him that he just eats the pill off my hand before his Churu.

Nobel used to be like wrestling a crocodile. Now I just show him the treat and medicine and he takes the metacam from the syringe willingly. I used to have to ask the vet to give him the antibiotic shots or pain shots if I wanted to ensure he took something.