Probiotic Recommendations?

pepperrevenge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16 week old rescued kitten has been having diarrhea for quite some time now. He is currently eating Royal Canin dry and wet food for kittens which I know is no problem because I my other kitten is also eating the same with no diarrhea. He is also healthy, no worms and eating normally, his diarrhea started when I had to change his food due to his normal wet food running out and I had a different brand.. I was able to buy his normal food three days later but he continued to have diarrhea.

I'm thinking about giving my kitten probiotics but I am not sure what brand to give him... I've heard that it is best to give them probiotics that is meant for human consumption. Any recommendations?
Thank you! :)

LokiLo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Changing food on a kitten or any pet in general can cause some GI upset, that could result in diarrhea. I would not give my cat anything for humans without first calling and consulting your vet about it. Has your rescue kitten had a fecal test done by a vet to see if he has intestinal parasites? If not that is something you should look into having done.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probiotics aren't a cure-all for digestive issues. A trip to the vet is the first thing you should do. The vet can rule out parasites or other health issues. I suggest feeding what the kitten was eating before the diarrhea for another couple of days and see if the diarrhea clears up.

Vets don't often recommend or suggest probiotics because they don't really know how well it works for pets. FortiFlora is the most often recommended by vets but it's not the best probiotic to use. You can ask the vet about Human probiotics but you likely won't get any recommendations or may even be discouraged from using Human probiotics.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with taking him to the vet. It may be something else.

That being said, I used Bene-bac equine paste on mine (because I had it already). But I did get a correct dosage for it before giving it. They also make Bene-bac for cats and dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pepperrevenge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, thank you so much for the replies. I took him to the vet several hours ago and the vet said he was fine, and his diarrhea/loose stools is most likely due to the sudden change of food. Vet recomended FortiFlora but I am skeptical after reading many reviews saying it is like Kitty Crack and the ingredient "animal digest". I'm thinking about using Bene-bac and hopefully get results!