Human Vs Cat Probiotics. Please help.

sarah123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. My cat has been sick this past month (long story). At the moment (since Wednesday) he's had the diarrhea. We took him to the vet today. And she thinks it has been caused by the antibiotics he had been on earlier (for vomiting-which did clear up). So he is on another different type of antibiotics; to help the inflammation in his bowels plus the upset from the last antibiotics. I asked about probiotics. She seemed to think it was a good idea for him to have them as well...

But I don't know whether to spend the $$$ on cat probiotics OR use human ones. I have read So much conflicting information. The human probiotics I have at home say...

Lactobacillus
Acidophilus 5 billion cfu
Bifidobacterium Lactis 5 billion cfu

Total: 10 billion cfu

Above is how it is written on the box. They are lactose and dairy free. The brand is Natures Way. And they don't need the fridge. Also I'm Australian. So I get most of you wont have heard of the brand.

I have read many posts here, plus all over the place really about this topic. But I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the strains in the probiotics I have would be ok for my baby.

Are any of the probiotics you have used the same as this type?
Did they work?
Has your cat had problems?

Also incase it's important my cat turned 9 last month. I can't remember the proper name but he has the condition where he develops urine crystals.

I'm feeling so beyond stressed right now. I've been trying so hard to help him.

Please any help would be appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I will have a look. Thank you for replying!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally have been using a brand called Petdophilus by Jarrow. I started out slowly and then increased it to the recommended dose at each meal. I've noticed less vomiting and particularly much less stinky stools. Also the color is more normal as well. I had been using Purina's Fortiflora because it's really tasty as a topper. But it's not the best quality I don't think. Not sure where the Jarrow brand ranks as far as quality, but I have seen some positive changes! Their poops used to reek. Now thank goodness they don't. Here's the link to info.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/145/Pet_Dophilus

Last edited:

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am going to follow this thread as well because I don't understand why many people feed human when there are companies that make them specifically for pets.

I use NWC Naturals. http://nwcnaturals.com/pet/pet-probiotics.html

I've used them for about 3 years off & on & for me, the diarrhea is coming from food usually then something else. One of my cats gets diarrhea when I change food brands, 2 have iron stomachs. You should always use probiotics after a round of antibiotics because that kills all the good gut flora. I don't waste money & give probiotics when actively giving antibiotics, I will wait until the course is done to start because the medicine is just going to kill off what you give.

I've also been looking into trying this one, it's made by a reputable manufacturer & I buy their human supplements.

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/gastriplex-reg

I've been feeding my cats more raw food & every time someone goes poop, it stinks up the room big time. I've been sprinkling Fortiflora on top of the meat to get all my cats to eat it. Fortiflora is a probiotic but I don't think it's a great one. I wouldn't recommend it, it's only useful for getting a cat to eat something it doesn't want to eat.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@msserena, I've heard it recommended to give probiotics all the time and especially during an antibiotic course, but NOT at the same time as the medicine. It must be separated by at least 2 hours. Antibiotics do not kill all the beneficial strains so it isnt being wasteful. I've found that for me, it's best to stay on probiotics all the time because it helps with digestion and with immunity. This year I have experienced much less respiratory illness compared to what I usually do and I get over it quicker. So that's my rationale behind giving my kitties probiotics every day. Plus I've noticed improvements in them. Probiotics are similar to water soluble vitamins - B & C - in that you have to keep consuming daily it for it to you benefit you. It doesn't accumulate like fat soluble vitamins.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Dr Ohhira's probiotic. I had tried Chris Kresser's recommended PrescriptAssist but found it doesn't work for me as well as Dr Ohhira's. Also I found the article that contained the very information I was saying above, for whoever would like more info on taking probiotics with antibiotics. I guess you can give these human grade probiotics to your pets provided you check with your vet first on the proper dosage weight-wise. For now I'm sticking with Jarrows but I'm always open to something that works better :)

https://chriskresser.com/what-to-do-if-you-need-to-take-antibiotics/

Very interesting, and a smart guy!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone thanks for all your thoughts and information. I haven't made a decision yet, about what to do...