Prince, And The Dreaded Balcony

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always said I'll never let my cats outside because of some long rooted fears, and I'm definitely worried about even letting them on my balcony.

Prince And Nikita both like to gaze out and want to be with me when I'm standing out there, even looking ready to walk out when I open the door

Out of curiosity I held Prince and sat in my chair on the balcony, which is a small wood area framed by a closed wooden fence that has a three or five inch gap from the ground and rises up to my waist.

With the sounds of wind, voices and cars, Prince was in my lap looking around with wide eyes, his paw was flexing in my lap and after a minute he did something I've never seen....walked towards the sliding glass door like he wanted back inside where Nikita was and leapt upwards, legs sprawled out at the door. Promptly I opened the door and he hurried inside, his tail puffed up. He got onto the end table and let me pet him and give him a treat to calm him down.

I don't think he likes the balcony or outside at all.

Nikita even had a brief foray herself when one night I opened my front door and she hopped out. She stood in place long enough for me to scoop her up and carry her back inside....thank God (Though I'm not sure how prepared they are for running down stairs. I'll show you)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The top is right outside my front door and the steps going down. The bottom, my balcony which I believe Prince now hates

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man! Probably a lot of stimulation. We started letting our kitties in the backyard and it took them a few times to even leave the door. But after a while they loved it.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prince actually leapt upwards twice, the second time he managed to barely scratch my hand while I was opening the door

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'll never let them fully out, I'm petrified of them going away and never coming back. Its happened a few times in my past like as a kid Nikki the first, ran out the door when my mom passed away and grandparents were giving away the pets....dont know if Nikki ever found a home or what, though my heart knows Nikki probably died out there, cold and alone :(

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to mention it's an apartment complex where, though the staff of the complex discourages highly, people still let their cats roam outside. So, all the smells of the outside, the cars on the road, the wind, and even the heat (though it didn't feel hot while I was standing out there, it's different for a cat probably) coupled into what seemed to be a big ball of "OH MY GOOD GOD LET ME BACK INSIDE NOW!"

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor Prince! Our backyard is fenced, and they are never let out unattended. Too many streets and roads!

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took Nikita out there and she reacted MUCH differently than Prince. She actually started to sniff around and rub her face against the chair legs and the frame of the sliding door (weird habit of hers, she rubs her face against everything, usually in my presence), then she laid down in the corner and proceeded to roll over onto her back, rub against the wall and roll over again.

She seems to like the balcony. Still, I'm very afraid to let them out there. What do you guys think? Is it okay to let them on the balcony (or, well, Nikita) as long as I watch them or will doing that make them more likely to bolt out the front door whenever I walk in from work...Like I said, I'm terrified of them running off and never seeing them again

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Nikita out there and she reacted MUCH differently than Prince. She actually started to sniff around and rub her face against the chair legs and the frame of the sliding door (weird habit of hers, she rubs her face against everything, usually in my presence), then she laid down in the corner and proceeded to roll over onto her back, rub against the wall and roll over again.

She seems to like the balcony. Still, I'm very afraid to let them out there. What do you guys think? Is it okay to let them on the balcony (or, well, Nikita) as long as I watch them or will doing that make them more likely to bolt out the front door whenever I walk in from work...Like I said, I'm terrified of them running off and never seeing them again
My worry with balconies is that cats are QUICK and if startled may go over the side.
I lived in a place for a year or so that had a balcony and I never let any animal out there for that fear alone. Or my dogs roughhousing, knocking into the railing and somehow pulling it loose and falling =/
Would training her to accept a harness/leash combo work, so she can be with you but you have some control over her in case she gets too brave and thinks she has to walk the railing?
She might bolt out the door, but we let our cats outside in a cat-safe area all the time and they're not door bolters.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I think 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 has a great idea with a harness. After a while Gohan started jumping on the fence in the backyard and we had to be more careful with him.

It looks like your balcony is close to the first floor? So probably not a risk for falling, just escapeeism.

I also found that the cats don’t associate the outside with the front door if you take them out a patio door. So that might be ok and they won’t try and door dash?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 has a great idea with a harness. After a while Gohan started jumping on the fence in the backyard and we had to be more careful with him.

It looks like your balcony is close to the first floor? So probably not a risk for falling, just escapeeism.

I also found that the cats don’t associate the outside with the front door if you take them out a patio door. So that might be ok and they won’t try and door dash?
I missed the first floor thing =D
My balcony was 2nd floor and I was so paranoid I wouldn't leave the house until I stared at the door ensuring myself it was locked and dead bolted. SO paranoid..

Plus, kitties in harnesses are just adorable. Some of them are wider and more padded and have really cute designs.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of a leash too, someone suggested that idea too. I'd say my balcony is about 10 to 15, maybe 20 feet high. Not sure, but I would worry about the drop especially with the car port well out of leap reach.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of a leash too, someone suggested that idea too. I'd say my balcony is about 10 to 15, maybe 20 feet high. Not sure, but I would worry about the drop especially with the car port well out of leap reach.
We have 9 cats, only one is harness trained. She's super cute on harness!
The key is acclimating them to the harness and using the leash as nothing but a safety cord between you both, and following her wherever she wants to go so she doesn't associate a harness or leash with "control" or whatever.
Most puppies find collars really annoying at first, and most cats feel the same with harnesses IME...but they get used to it and eventually decide it's OK because harness = freedom outside!

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My former coworker told me to take them to a dog park or something with a leash or harness rather than letting them go through the door, that she made that mistake and her cat began bolting out every single time.

So far, as mentioned before, Nikita has crossed that front door, but it wasn't bolting. She jumped outside and froze in place until I carried her back inside.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So if I put them in their kennel, take them somewhere else and walk around, they won't try to bolt out the front door every time?

I know Prince has always had a lot of energy, so that would help him...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Granted, after the two experiments today, Primce might not be comfortable with outside while Nikita might.

Strange because she's the shier of the two and he's usually bolder

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My former coworker told me to take them to a dog park or something with a leash or harness rather than letting them go through the door, that she made that mistake and her cat began bolting out every single time.

So far, as mentioned before, Nikita has crossed that front door, but it wasn't bolting. She jumped outside and froze in place until I carried her back inside.
Wait, they recommend taking a *leashed cat* to a *dog park*????? Am I misunderstanding this or are they insane?? I wouldn't even take a dog into a dog park, so taking a cat to one sounds.....well, nuts.

Also, our baby girl bolted out the door once, then did that freeze and a simple "what are you doing?" like we would greet her in any room of the house made her relax. The last thing you want to do with a bolting/bolted cat is yell, scream, or come across as panicked. They'll bolt further!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the harness idea. Kitties are too quick! :runningcat:

Last edited:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'll never let them fully out, I'm petrified of them going away and never coming back. Its happened a few times in my past like as a kid Nikki the first, ran out the door when my mom passed away and grandparents were giving away the pets....dont know if Nikki ever found a home or what, though my heart knows Nikki probably died out there, cold and alone :(
I like to think Nikki the First made her way or found a home. We often think they have perished, but they are such wary, resilient creatures, you can't know for sure. Please don't carry this in your heart - she could be safe and sound.