Pretend Spraying?

lprdgrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my males - Winky (2 1/2 yrs) and Spooky (10 mos) - seem to be "pretend spraying". They'll back up, wiggle the tail, etc - with no liquid. They were both neutered at about 6 mos. My third male - Sandy (Winky's bro) - does not display this behavior. However, there are several neighborhood males that visit our yard and DO spray. I clean the areas asap, but could this be stressing my boys to try and compete for THEIR territory? Could they just be acting out what they see the older cats doing?
Also, is there a more effective way to prevent spraying from neighborhood visitors other than clean after they hit?! Does Feliway really work?
Thanks!!

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My spayed female used to back up to things and wiggle her tail, and I'd swear she was spraying. She never did, but it freaked me out nonetheless.

I, too, have tomcats visit on a regular basis and spray my front door, bushes, etc. I have no idea how to stop it.

I haven't had luck with Feliway myself.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't comment on how to prevent spraying from unneutered cats (i don't think you can). But a fixed cat doing the spraying behavoir is normal. My cat Rocko does it, my other two don't. He usually does it when he is happy and frisky and sometimes wants to play.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure they're not displaying excitement at seeing you or at being fed? A "vibrating tail" looks like "fake" spraying - but it's a REALLY happy excited kitty. What's occurring when they do this? We have a tail vibrator - and he is not pretend spraying, he's just really happy and excited about whatever it is (usually food or treat related, though sometimes it's just his way of saying "I'm so glad you're home!" ).

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

A "vibrating tail" looks like "fake" spraying - but it's a REALLY happy excited kitty. What's occurring when they do this? We have a tail vibrator - and he is not pretend spraying, he's just really happy and excited about whatever it is (usually food or treat related, though sometimes it's just his way of saying "I'm so glad you're home!" ).
My Ashley was a sprayer before he was neutered. Now he does the fake spraying but I think the reason is more like LDG's tail vibrating cat. Ashley is not being territorial but only happy.

okie89

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats fake spray all the time. Nothing to be concerned about.

Feliway works good in an enclosed enviroment. Outside, there's too many smells to cover, and too much space to fill with the phermones.

Okie

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cammy's tail vibrates when she's excited. Scared me the first time I saw it, I really thought she was spraying.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Miezi "pretend sprays" cars, but only those belonging to neighbors or their regular guests. She gets a look on her face like, "Mine, all mine!"

There doesn't seem to be a fool-proof way of preventing cats from spraying on your property, but there are a couple of things you can do. We've had the best luck with basil plants, planted in the ground and in pots so that you can move them as needed, and just take them indoors when it's cold. The bigger the plants, the better. I've lost track of which ones are the most effective, but I think it's the type with dark reddish brown leaves.

There are also "Piss Off" plants (that's really the name; try a garden center) which are somewhat effective, but you have to have a lot of them, and they really stink, unlike the basil.

We've found that some cats love to mark oregano plants, so you could plant some in a corner away from the house and hope that they confine their marking to that spot. Ditto bark mulch.