Premature Kittens

Veronica0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat had 3 kittens today she went full term but they seem to be premature 1 of them was still born and the other 2 are still okay they were born around 10:30am and my cat is still pregnant is it likely they will survive as they are feeding off the mum? (Nala)

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The little guys certainly have a tough row to hoe, don't they? However, the fact that Nala is feeding and nurturing them at all is a good indicator that they at least have a chance to survive. Cats have excellent instincts about non-viable (what a cold word for "hopelessly damaged") kittens, and most will push them away. So hang in there. These articles may be of assistance.

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats
Premature Kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they are latching and nursing they will hopefully make it. Things sound good so far!

Do you have weights on the kittens? Weighing daily is the best way to make sure the kittens are gaining 6-10 grams daily apiece.

If mom has more kittens to deliver, they will come when they and her body are ready.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Veronica0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t have any scales to weigh them what type of one would I need and she just gave birth to 1 more it seems a bit bigger and has a lot more fur poor baby is shattered hoping it’s the last one!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Scale and weigting is important so you know if you must supplement feed them.
Best is weigh in grammest, easiest electronical scale. They may be quite cheap. You can perhaps borrow one from some neighbour? Its important you start asap.

An IR heating lamp may become handy. Try to have higher humidity moist in the room.

Get home raw goats milk or KMR in powder + syringe of 1ml
Honey too

Veronica0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s great will have a look tomorrow for one and yeah mum seems to Be okay she’s just really shattered but that’s expected she’s also eating and drinking which is a good sign from her will see how she is in the morning

Veronica0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are doing amazing! They are all feeding and warm also nala is eating, drinking and she’s doing the toliet going for a check up in a week or so

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH GOOD! It is entirely possible, since one kitten was so much bigger, that you really have "two litters in one," and that they have two fathers...one for the larger one (conceived first) and one for the smaller ones (conceived second). Aren't cat genetics and reproductive havits interesting!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The danger with prematures is they are weak and perhaps weak sucklers. Sometimes they nurse but dont get much. That is why its important to be wigilant and weigh them. Unless you see they are obviously thriving in plain sight.

Veronica0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah it really is amazing can’t believe how well she is coping! Al drop some pictures

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad they are doing well! Are you able to weigh them each daily?

There really isn’t a need for Mom to go for a check up until the babies are 8 weeks, unless you have reason to be concerned. It’s a lot of exposure for the newborns at 1 week, and they can’t be left at home.

Would you like help finding a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area for a few months from now?

Veronica0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat had her kittens on Monday so they are 5 days old now but 2 of there belly’s look really big, round and veiny?? Any clues what it could mean

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post a picture of their bellies?

Are they nursing well and gaining weight?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A 4 drops per day of simethicone is often useful. The same as for human babies. Give in several occasions not all at once

Veronica0921

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took them to vet at 2 days old as the little one wasn’t eating a lot and they said they are full term and just really small but they eat constant now I hold the little one sometimes on the nipple but 2 of the small ones have the big bellies and the biggest one doesn’t have a big belly I have looked online some say it could be worms thought the mums milk but surely all them would have big bellies is it maybe over eating and I will try get a pic