Pregnant Stray

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did she eat any of the dry food? Not sure what’s going on with her if not. If she’s not laboring, she needs to eat something. Please check in with your vet otherwise and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s eaten some of her dry food, not a whole lot but a decent amount, I’ll keep you posted!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s eaten some non-kitten wet food (just to see if she’d eat that), had a little bit of dry food afterwards too which is good.

Her kittens are moving around so much more today, it looks like her weight is gradually going from her sides to her belly, slowly but surely.

Fingers crossed she gives birth within the week!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night she started pacing around quite a bit, trying to get into a tiny gap underneath our bed, down either side of the bed, and while she was on the bed she was trying to get down a tiny gap that she wouldn’t have gotten out of, very out of character for her

We think she’s starting to nest now because of that, and because she went into two of the nests we set up for her and made cookies and moved the blankets around, she started grooming herself quite fast in both of the areas!

She ate some dry food before we slept, when I woke up she had eaten all of the dry food from her wet food dish (i tried mixing some into her wet food but it’s quite difficult with a pate). So she’s at least eating still.

It looks like her weight is shifting from her sides a lot quicker now, when I stroked her before we slept her sides felt a lot slimmer than normal and her stomach is hanging quite a bit lower!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s also being very affectionate, actively seeking our attention and doing some pretty strong headbutts!

Whenever we’ve seen her drink it’s been a small amount but she’s just spent a good amount of time just drinking, she’s not eaten anything yet this morning but I’m sure she will soon!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She only really nested for around 20 minutes i think, she hasn’t been back into either nest since she moved the blankets around, is that normal?

She’s still eating, grazing on her dry food whenever she wakes up, we’re giving her half a tin of wet food every 4 hours, she doesn’t eat it all straight away but over the course of an hour or two.

She’s super affectionate when she’s awake now, always coming for head and chin scratches! We think she’ll be due in the next few days but we could be completely wrong.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
8325D127-3453-4FD7-B556-A16521C29475.jpeg

Bonus picture, this is where she spends a lot of her time sleeping, she enjoys here little scratch box quite a lot and it’s placed right next to one of her nests, so hopefully she’ll pick the nest it’s next to!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Uh, breaking update.

I noticed a small black bug on the floor and lots of small curly black things, I googled it and they’re fleas… When we took Violet to the vets to have a general checkup, vaccinations and a microchip, they were meant to check her over for fleas, but apparently they didn’t… We’re disgusted at the vets.

I called a different veterinarian and requested a flea treatment for a pregnant cat that is due soon and they sorted us out. Fingers crossed they’re gone before she gives birth. We’ve hoovered the entire house, currently washing her nesting towels and blankets, washed the floors and everything.

I’m so glad that we spotted this before she’s given birth, let’s hope it goes smoothly from here!

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so scary! I heard fleas can kill kittens quick right? how hard were they to see on her? I also have a black pregnant cat and I'm quite scared of that happening. I haven't noticed anything while skimming through their fur, are they noticeable?

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, we can’t see any on her at all! We found a lot of flea poop around her usual area and in her nest, it’s like small black lines, can be curled up and so on, if you put some water on them and move them around and it goes red/brown it’s flea poop! The only reason we really noticed was the little black bug on the floor!

I’d say if you’re unsure to just flea her and hoover&wash your floors with hot soapy water (we used dish soap and rinsed clean with water) It’s very scary considering Violet has just started to nest and her stomach is starting to drop! We had to destroy her nesting areas so we could wash her blankets&towels :(

She wasn’t too happy with the flea treatment being put on and has managed to lick it a few times (it’s non-toxic + it’ll go in her blood stream anyway but it could make her be sick and won’t effect the kittens, just make sure you check that it’s safe for pregnant cats)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the flea topical was applied appropriately between the shoulder blades (and the fur is parted so that it goes primarily on the skin), she should not be able to lick it.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We parted her fur when we applied it to her shoulder blades but she shook when we let go of her and some of the liquid dribbled down her side, we let it sit for a while then tried to dab it off of the fur where it dribbled to try and stop her from licking, she seems relatively okay with it now and has eaten

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the flea topical was applied appropriately between the shoulder blades (and the fur is parted so that it goes primarily on the skin), she should not be able to lick it.
as you know I have three cats living together, if I do buy stuff to get rid of the fleas just in case she has them should I be worried about them licking it off each other? they clean each other a lot!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats will usually steer clear of licking the topical as it smells nasty and tastes bitter.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

She’s been drinking a lot more than usual today, she’s still eating properly albeit selectively throughout the day. She’s spent almost the entire day asleep, she’s had a few strokes and looked out the window a few times though.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s been a while since my last update but she was being pretty normal and we think the flea treatment has worked as we’re not finding any flea poop in the areas she lays.

A bit graphic and not a great picture but she’s had this around her lady parts today, we haven’t noticed it before, we can’t really get in to wipe it away either but could it be her mucus plug? If you can zoom in on it it looks like there could be a clear/greenish fluid behind it.
20D0F056-4AA7-41F1-9AD2-F2CF6C1F11F2.jpeg

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been a while since the last update:

Everything is still pretty much the same, eating the same, drinking the same and sleeping even more.

She’s been extremely affectionate in the past few days. She’s always around her nesting box or underneath a desk pushed up against the wall.

I’m sure that she’ll be due within the next week by now with the kitten movements, I’ll update again in a few days.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also to add to this, we think that we saw her be mounted by a male on the 24th of june, if it was her that we saw she’ll be coming up to 60 something days now so it should be very soon!