Pregnant Stray

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That would make her 60 days pregnant today. She’ll be due in 5-7 days if you are correct about when she mated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read that a cats heat cycle is usually 6 days, so she could be sooner/later too, but we hope it’s soon!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update, she’s got a white fluid coming from her vulva and it looks like she’s starting to have contractions!! She basically keeps sucking her stomach in, looks like we’re in the home stretch now!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EMERGENCY!!!

She’s given birth to one kitten but she isn’t breaking the cord and the kitten isn’t feeding, what do we do?????

CaliFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
EMERGENCY!!!

She’s given birth to one kitten but she isn’t breaking the cord and the kitten isn’t feeding, what do we do?????
Hopefully by now mom cat has done the job of chewing the cord. But if not then cutting it is something that you will need to do. You'll need to tie it off in two places and cut between the ties.

Also, kittens sometimes won't nurse until mom cat is done giving birth to them all. So I wouldn't worry too much about that now.

Please update when you can.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, she’s currently had three (we’re not sure how many she’s actually having) and had chewed the cord on two of them, we had to cut the third cord.

We had to point them towards her nipples and they’ve all been drinking for a good amount of time now!

Will post pictures and genders later!!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
image.jpg

We have 5!! They’re all doing great, on the nipples and moving around a lot!! We had to help her lick the face of the fifth one as it didn’t look like it was breathing but she did her thing with a little assistance and now we’re here!!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, she’s given birth right next to our bed on the floor, how can we go about moving them into the nest we set up for her?

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
image.jpg

Managed to move mum and the kittens to her nesting box and she seems very content with it, she’s doing great!!

Will update with genders and better pictures of them soon!

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A question, she started to give birth at 9am, it’s now 00:15. She’s not been to the toilet since before she gave birth and usually goes around 11pm.

I know it’s not going to be a cause for concern yet but is it normal for her to not want to go to the toilet after birth?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat waited almost 12 hours after giving birth to use her litter box. Yours will go when she needs to. Make sure her food, water, and litter are nearby so she does not need to go far or leave the room to tend to her business.

Cats are exhausted and resting after giving birth, plus they are not keen on leaving their babies unprotected for long. It’s instinct.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh that’s great to know! I’ll update when she does finally go.

I’m staying awake tonight to make sure that the her and the kittens are okay, probably a bit of anxiety more than anything.

She was in the nest with them until about 11pm when she hopped out and just laid on the floor, she’s done that a few times now, no longer than 10-15 minutes and she’s back with them (i try to make sure that she isn’t sitting on any of them when she gets back in, she’s done it once already!)

CaliFosterMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are so adorable, congratulations on making it through the birth. Thank you you for posting photos. 😊

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn’t manage to stay awake all night, but she ended up waking me up going to the toilet, it looked runny, i’m assuming this is because of the placentas? I read that she shouldn’t eat too many of them but she had 3 and a bit of the 5, she’s eating her food a lot more, drinking a lot too.

considering we think this is her first litter, she’s doing an amazing job! we’re going to give them a few days of being with mum before we handle them properly for pictures and gendering them, at the minute we’re just helping them find nipples and removing them from underneath her if she lays on them

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s pooped again, another runny one. She managed to track poopy litter into her nest but we gave her a quick switch with the blankets in there so the kittens aren’t around poopy litter.

How long should her diarrhoea last after giving birth? We don’t want her to keep tracking poopy litter into the kittens :(

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another question, is there any way for us to tell if mum is making her kittens go to the toilet? we can’t watch her constantly but it’s something that we just thought of.

Also I found a small, thin hard black thing in their nest, probably about a centimetre long, not sure if it came from the kittens or from mum, if there’s another one at any point i’ll take a picture to post.

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
28B222FF-6CEC-4889-B64D-CA658A862570.jpeg

Found another bit, this one is a lot smaller, we’re really confused, i tried to google it but i can’t find anything about it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like a small blood clot. It’s coming from mom’s uterus. It’s normal that she will pass blood and clots while her uterus cleans out and heals. It takes about 7-10 days, so do not be alarmed if you see spotting. Human women who deliver babies vaginally go through the same process of healing. On the other hand, there is scant bleeding with C-sections as the doctors clean out the uterus manually.

If Mom begins to pass large amounts of bright red blood she would need the vet as that would be a hemorrhage. Doubtful that will happen.

Try to relax! Mom is licking their bottoms clean whether you see it or not right now.

Last edited:

Dav96

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, that’s great to know thank you!!

There was a small amount of what looked like blood on the floor this morning, very minuscule amount so I’m assuming that just her spotting.

Before we slept last night we noticed that she was grooming them all over and finishing with their bottoms so I think she’s got the hang of it!