Pregnant Stray Cat

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm new here I have a stray cat show up in my garden and has been around for months she I very scared and I had been trying to get her used to me as I fed her everyday twice a day.. she let's me rub her when eating but I noticed another cat mating with her and tried to get her into a shelter but they hadn't room

Yesterday was day 61 since I seen the male cat on her so i decided to bring her in yesterday, but she has been crying and hardly eating much do you think I am stressing her out by having her inside.. I just thought it was best for her and babies if they were born inside.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you for looking after her. Bringing her inside was the best thing for you to do so please don't let her back out.. She's probably just stressed and cats get funny about any change to begin with. There are plenty of experts on here who can help you out further!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree. Being inside is the best for her and her children. Also, it will be much easier for you to foster and socialize her kittens if they are inside. And well socialized kittens are easy to adopt out.

When she has landed and realizes there is no danger in there, and its cool and really nice, she will adapt and copy. Its one of the miracles of rescuing work!

Be sure she isnt disturbed and feel comfortable and safe. You can put on calming relaxing music on... Perhaps also a Feliway diffuser - not necessary but may help some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your reply.. yes I couldn't leave her outside as she would have had them in the shed or maybe gone off somewhere else and had them, she is still crying and trying to get out but I hope she soon realises that it's for her own good.. hopefully her babies come soon

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normally 64 days gestation? We are on day 62 today

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
64 to 67 I believe !!! She's probably also frustrated too! Have a large box you can make up for her to nest in at all ?

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I have box with clean blankets where she can have her kittens with litter box and food and water beside her too.. poor thing just wants to get back outside! Another few days then I would say.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When she has the kittens they should all stay inside .. You don't want her to move them outside where they can be harmed after all this ...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will adjust and settle down, especially after the kittens arrive.

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no I wouldn't let her back outside after she has them.. hopefully she will settle in a day or two and once the kittens are here she should be ok she's still very scares but she's used to me and my husband now. It's just hard to listen to her crying and upset poor thing

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's only been a day, in a few more days it will be her home not yours :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A Feliway diffuser plugged in would help her to relax. It emits calming pheromones.

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may look for one of them she escaped the pen last night and was crying all night and trying to find a way out I got not no sleep! I don't want her stressing out. Is there anything else I can give her to calm her down

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Calming music. Perhaps even purring sounds - there is both on youtube.

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I left a calming cd on last night didn't make a difference at all she seems to be more at ease when I'm in the room with her but I'm just afraid that all the stress and trying to escape at the windows is not good for her and her babies. I will try get some feliway spray today and try that tonight. Poor pet just doesn't realise thus is for her own safty

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its somewhat a riddle. Its quite commen they DO realize its for their safety - quite common to see even shy semiferales seek help and accepts to be taken inside.

And yet, this momma does knows you, you are her food source and friend...

If it helps you being there, try to be it - I know its easier said than done, you have surely also other things to do. But its good to notice she calms down with you at hand. :)

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I try stay with her as much as I can during the day it's really at night when she gets really upset but I might leave her out of the pen tonight and let her roam around the room instead of keeping her confined

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it an option for you to sleep in this her room? Quite a few caretakers do so. This is also a way to quicken forward the socalizing process.

Fifa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I can't sleep in there with her and I can't have her in my room as my baby is still in the room with me plus there is no space for her.. I'm going to try cover the window fully so she can't see outside and not put her in the pen let her roam the room she might be more at ease then if she can go where she wants instead of being stuck in.. Thanks so much for all your comments I'm new to having a cat with kittens.. I have two cats both are spayed and neutered I have only ever felt with puppies and you all have been great help.. The sooner the better these little babies come

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, let her roam the room.

Also, the Feliway plug-in is better than the spray. It emits constantly, and lasts a month.