Pregnant Momma Cat, Est Amount Of Weeks?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You will begin to notice little differences in the kittens as they mature. In the meantime, you can put a dot of different color nail polish on the tip of each tail.

Are they nursing well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't it be safe for mum licking them? Nail polish that is. I suppose that could work though!

And yes, they are all piggies! A lot of them mins after birth started feeding and have t let go since! It's been hours and they are all still nursing away. There is one tabby I'm a little worried about that seems to never be able to find a nipple and is constantly trying to get to one but the others are in the way, so he gets tired of climbing and routing so you have to find one and latch him on. But once he has one is feed for ages like the others, he just looses it easy and has trouble finding.

But will see what the weights do tomorrow. I saw on kitten ladies YouTube, that she advises when they are neonatal like they are at the moment to weigh after every nursing session to see slight gains? As waiting a whole day for next weighing could be a long time of loosing if there is an issue?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The polish will be dry.

Just weigh the baby you are worried about every 12 hours. The others sound okay so far!

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, fabulous! I know it'll put my mind at rest because I do worry about the little guy! I image he or she will be the runt, though by the weights they were born with, no runts in particular which is good!

So because mum is a tabby, are the three tabbies most likely girls?
Plus, what flea treatment can I use on mum? I was worried about using any on her whilst pregnant but want to get her covered now just in case but didn't know if because she is nursing there is any particular one I should use? I live in the U.K. So bare that in mind too.

Mum is doing great, purring away and seems so happy with her babies. She had so thing to eat this morning and has had a bowl of KMR about half an hour ago. Did offer her food but she onl had a nibble. No doubt full from the placenta.

Just goes to show not all cats labour the same! Kids running around, TV on, middle of day.... in the middle of our living room pushing out a baby! We knew it was coming due to last night her trying to bury herself and being very affectionate and licking us, and her nipples were erecting. Then today she ate fine, no different but I came down stairs after trying to get the kids to bed and she meowd at me, laid on the floor for some fuss. Decided to look at her bits and lost some of her mucus plus so I thought okay, it's coming soon then.... next thing I new moments later she was pushing! Poor thing push has been waiting for me to come down to have them! So it was all systems go! To control the kids and get her birthing box before she birthed the first one! First one was born and once she had somewhat cleaned it up I moved her over to her box and then she had the rest!

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
EMERGENCY?

So, I've weighed them this morning (10:30 am was born yesterday at (1:20pm) I know it wasn't exactly 24hours but I was worried about that one tabby, and it seems i was right.

weights today are
black and white = 110g (a whopping +13g)
Ginger and white = 102g (again a whopping +10g)
tabby 1 = 108 (+6g)
tabby 2 = which is the one struggling.... 96g (-8g loss.)
tabby 3 = 117g (a massive 15g gain)

help? what do i do?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start supplementing. Do you have kmr and a needleless syringe? Try to give the kitten 1-2 ml every 2 hours.

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, fabulous! thank you, I started supplementing as i assumed that would be the port of call and idn' want to wait around for a response. Thank you, for confirming i'm doing the right thin! so far he has had 1ml every two hours. and whilst i was there i substituted the other low gaining tabby. one tabby has a darker back, one tabby ive put red whit board parked under his foot and the other tabby. the darker tabby is the one loosing, and the one without the red spot is the one low gaining. So they have both had to feeding of 1ml. the second the they really pigged in and was actually sucking, but after that mum was getting upset so they went back and they are all nursing now. next time going to try ad get more into them as it seems they would take more

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great job! Do you see mom grooming them? If not, you may need to help them potty.

And you know the proper position to supplement? Kittens are fed tummy down and head up.

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does groom them, and i've seen poops here and there. but I'll do it just incase. Can't hurt. And yes, tummy down, head up and let them suck and don't do it when crying as they'll aspirate.

but of an EMERGENCY though.
mum keeps getting out the next to lay next to it, which okay, fine she may want a break. but I went to fuss her and there is very obviously a kitten still in there. No doubt at all, definaltye not just her stomach shrinking down... its a hard lump of a head. I can't feel it kicking though It was be rolling around. she keeps licking herself which I don't know is cleaning herself from birth yesterday or preparing for this kittne to be born

she is eating loads, drinking KMR, toileting fine... No temperature... she seems great. could it be that she got pregnant whilst pregnant and its just younger so will birth it when its ready? how long do you wait after the birth of them all to expect the birth of more? it's been over a day and a half now since she delivered them..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom should deliver when she's ready. It's possible that she mated at different times during her heat.

Look for any signs of infection or distress. If she seems to be pushing with no progress, that's a red flag.

For now, sounds like all is well!

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh thank goodness! how odd! not the typical story of a cat pregnancy I've heard! Just when I thought the wait was over for these babies, we have five and now we are going to have a wait till this one or two little ones are born! how long should I wait for her to give birth to it before seeking a vet? So odd to me, I'm at a lost with what to do with myself!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unless mom is in distress you can wait several days. Things should be okay! :)

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay then , so todays weights are in and boy I'm over the moon!

black and white = 127g = +17g gain!
Ginger and white = 111g = 9g gain
tabby one (The one gaining but only 6g yesterday) = 125g = a whopping 17g gain!
tabby 2 (the one who lost 6g yesterday and was really worried about) = 111g = 15g gain!
tabby 3 = 126g = 9g gain!

I'm so happy!

we have been supplimenting the one that lost and every other feed, the one that gained but not loads just to be sure. and we left them over night from 1am - 6am to feed off mom to see how htey did. as each feeding they were eating 3ml+ each. so they had already hit how much thye needed to eat for the day so we figured we would see how they did over night.

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so confused.

gains and loses today...

black and white = 126g (-1g)
Ginger and white = 120g (+9g)
tabby 1 = 138g (+13g)
tabby 2 = 135g (+24g) (Supplementing)
tabby 3 = 141g (+15g)

I'm so confused when the bully of the group is the black and white one, and until now gained 17g only yesterday! could it be that he put so much on yesterday he has platueted today?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps. If he does not begin to gain again within 24 hours, or loses again, he'll need supplementing.

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again!

so todays weights :

black and white = 133g (+7g)
Ginger and white = 138g (+18g)
T1 = 146g (+8g)
T2 = 150g (+15g)
T3 = 160g (+19g)

what lovely gains! We were right about the black and white one, he seems to have a day where he gains well then gains a little bit then gains well :)

the others are such piggies! and no one i sbeing supplemented anymore! only here and there :)

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! weights today are off the charts!

Black and white has put on 16g!
ginger and white has put on 17g!
Tabby 1 has put on 11g
Tabby 2 has put on 16g
and tabby 3 has put on 18g!

the little piggies!

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
another great day!

Day 6
Black and white = 159g (+10g)
ginger and white = 169g (+14g)
Tabby 1 = 167g (+10g)
Tabby 2 = 182g (+16g)
Tabby 3 = 191g (+13g)

double didgets again!
Today everyone got a dawn dishsoap bath for fleas. We hadn't treated mum whilst pregnant as we wasn't sure what was okay. So now she has had them and we don't have a clue when the other one or two is coming... we treated her, washed all bedding at 90, and dawn dishsoaped the babies. they were all fine, and were dried and kept warm :)