Pregnant Momma Cat, Est Amount Of Weeks?

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello!

I'm new here, my little bundle of fluff is Narla (pictured below! Swoon at the size of that belly!) she is a strictly house cat, 18months. We was waiting for her to get out of her season for spaying and low and behold managed to escape once (darn food delivery driver left the door open!) but it was over two days (that's all it takes, hehe!) so we have let her progress (our personal choice). We can't remember for the life of us the dates, so we are guessing at her weeks. Don't suppose anyone would like to have a guess based on the size of her? We have felt strong movements from babies ☺.

Thought I'd also open this thread up as no doubt I'll have a lot of questions over the next coming weeks.

We have so far got this supply:

1ml and 2ml syringes
Camicat milk supplement (based on reccomendations seen here)
Forcepts and blunt scissors
Cord clamps
Sterile Gloves
Puppy pads (for clean up after birth to go in her nest)
All areas are closed off that would be of any inconvince for her to birth in, and has a nest cardboard box with bedding in ready.
Blub suction (just in case)
Thermometer and lubrication
Scales for daily weighing
Iodine in case she tears
And bottle with different teats on just in case they take to that over syringes just in case.

So with that said, anything else you'd recommend? I didn't know whether a heat pad would be worth a buy?

Weighing wise, I know they need to gain 6-10 grams a day, if they fall just below 6grams, how soon do you intervene? Straight away or leave a day to see if gain progresses?

As for food for mum, we have always fed high meat content (95%) food or raw (we have avoided raw during pregnancy as we wasn't sure), and wondered with this in mind whether we still needed to buy kitten food (we detest the likes of most brands due to the crap in them! ) She is fed as many times as she asks and obviously always has access to water.

Thank you, and I'm sure you'll hear so much more from me as a nervous soon to be grandmother to fur babies!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cimicat rather*

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might want to have unflavored pedialyte on hand, along with karo syrup or honey.

I do suggest you get some high quality meat-first ingredient wet food on hand just in case you need it. The kittens will need to wean on it anyway initially.

If a kitten gains less than 6 grams but does not lose, you can wait a day.

Kittens sometimes gain better after the first couple of days because initially they are getting colostrum first. But they definitely should not lose.

I would not use the thermometer unless absolutely necessary as it is uncomfortable for mom.

Hopefully mom will do all the work and you will not need most of your supplies! :)

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, and thank you for replying!

Of course, I'm hoping not to use anything but it's always better to have it in than not, and most likely it would be in the middle of the night when no where is open, hehe! So good to have it in. We have some peadialyte due to our kids, so that's already in thankfully. Will get some honey (much easier to get hold of in the UK than the Karo syrup!)

I think you miss read, we already have mother cat on high content wet food (95% meat content) I didn't know if she still needed to be put on kitten food or not due to the high content of meat we feed her? Currently weave it when ever she asks as well as three times a day normally.

Again regarding thermometer, it's more something to have on hand just in case.

Thank you for your advice regarding weight gains and losses. No doubt we will see when the kittens get here! She's a first time mum, and will be her only litter (getting done as soon as she can be!) but she seems huge? How far along would you say she is? She is huge at current and have been feeling babaies move round

Thanks again! No doubt will have so many more questions when they get here!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like mom is getting plenty of meat from her wet food and other cooked meats, so kitten wet food is not necessary.

You are well-prepared! I wish everyone were. I had everything on hand as well and needed none of it, but sadly, the opposite is true in many cases.

Just when you think the cat can get no bigger, they do!

My cat got huge:

That was the day before she delivered 4 healthy kittens!

Kitten movement is felt the last 2-3 weeks, so your cat is getting close.

Signs of impending labor include restlessness, vaginal discharge, and contractions which appear as ripples.

Here are helpful links:

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

We'll be here for you! :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things going? How long have you been able to feel the kittens moving? That should help narrow down how many weeks she is as well!

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, what a big momma cat you had! Thank you for the advice, I've screenshoted it all so it's close to hand.

We are still here, plodding on! She's even bigger, of that was at all possible! She can't be far off now, we have been feeling babies move for a good week and a half -two weeks now, and they are so active and big! You can feel every movement of the, at the moment! Even just a movement of an arm or turning over!

She has also decided where to birth them, too! Typically right next to where I made her box nest up But I've put a pad down where she has chosen, and moved her food and water and litter near by. She keeps going back and laying on her side for a while, then goes for a wonder. No labour though, she hasn't just picked her spot ☺

She's been licking herself too, though I can't see any discharge etc. She is a very clean cat, so I doubt she would leave it around long enough for em to see if she was having any.

No milk yet though? Her nipped have crusts on the top, and they have lost the hair round the nipples, but no milk dripping for coming out?

Here is my big momma taken just ❤

Attachments

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_0945.JPG
IMG_0940.JPG
Here is some better pictures of her big belly!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The crust on her nipples is probably dried milk, unless she is chapped. You can put olive or coconut oil on her nipples to prevent chapping.

She is getting close! :)

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we may be in labour! She has been doing a very high pitched meow pretty much constantly since about 6pm (it's now 8:30pm here in UK)! It's a meow I haven't heard before, and she keeps going to her little but only doing a dribble so I am assuming the pressure is confusing her! She is huge!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does sound like labor, but it could take awhile.

Keep us posted!

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no babies, as of yet. but tonight she has been awful strange. we have scatter cushions on our sofa, now she is almost never on the sofa to start with but she dug under them and was just laying there under a pile of cushions, I'm assuming she is trying to nest? she also seems to be getting up and re arranging herself, even jumping up at times from being fast asleep! she's massive and we have been feeling the babies for so long now, she must be due any day

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like her nesting instincts are kicking in!

Shouldn't be too much longer! :)

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, emergency.

Birthed one (on the living room floor, middle of the room no less), no placenta but birthed the second one within 15mins? There is a lot of blood, but I don't know how much is too much and I'm concerned over he placenta issue.

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first ones cord is still attached to inside mom though, still too..

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay she has birthed the placenta that had both of them attached - twins. And now has birthed the third.

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, so I hunk she has finished! We have 5 beautiful babies. Their weights are;
Black and white 97g
Ginger and white 92g
Tabby one 102g
Tabby 2 103g
Tabby 3 102g

I need a way to identify the three tabbies!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Please continue to weigh daily. Are you still seeing a lot of blood?

Make sure mom stays 100% inside!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Please continue to weigh daily. Are you still seeing a lot of blood?

Make sure mom stays 100% inside!

Ataylor95

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh she will be, she will be spayed as soon as we can. We had her booked in but she went int heat and was advised to wait till after, and our luck.... she caught!

Will make sure to weight daily, though I don't know how we will decifer between the three tabbies, they are literally identical. With mum being tabby are the three tabbies most likely to be girls? And the ginger and black and white twin , boys? So, she birthed the first, no placenta but still attached inside. Second shot out minuets after and then placenta came out they were both attached to. Third born and placenta came out. Fourth born but no placenta then faith born and placenta came out. Then about 20mins after birthing the fiths placenta. Fourths placenta must have been born.

So in total, 4 placenta to 5 kittens but I believe two are twins. One is black and white, they other ginger and white and their colouring postitions, where the white is and colour are identical?

Here are some pictures! Haven't got pictures of the last two tabbies as she was relaxed and they were quiet and feeding and I didn't want to disturb her ☺

Attachments