pregnant female siamese

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Domestic is simply the correct term, whether or not one is a breeder. It is in no way derogatory.

Here is a quote from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Definition of DOMESTIC

a : living near or about human habitations b : tame, domesticated <the domestic cat>

: of, relating to, or originating within a country and especially one's own country <domestic politics> <domestic wines>

: of or relating to the household or the family <domestic chores> <domestic happiness>

: devoted to home duties and pleasures <leading a quietly domestic life>

: indigenous

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic is simply the correct term, whether or not one is a breeder. It is in no way derogatory.
Thankyou SK, moggie or domestic is what 95-97% of all cats are, it is not derogatory at all. Domestic/moggie is the correct term to use, there is nothing else.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the term domestic/moggie is derogatory in and of itself. In my opinion it's when it is preceded by the words "just a" that it takes on a derogatory nature.

For example I've never seen a breeder advertise their cats as "just a" Persian. Why not? Because it makes them sound less desireable.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Moggie" can be seen as derogatory. . .it has the root word of "mongrel" and that's just never used in a complimentary way :tongue2:. Same as "mutt", which even used to be a racial slur. But nowadays, unless someone is being obviously derogatory, I rather like the word moggie. It's cute. Although a lot of Americans don't know what it means.

"Domestic" isn't derogatory in any way, I don't think.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
can you please stop using the term "domestic"? they are CATS...
Of course, saying "they will be blue pointed cats" is entirely feasible for all of us.   :)

At least in this thread.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's hard to find any 2 sources that agree with each other, but that's one idea about the origin :dk:. Some of the other ideas aren't much more flattering. But nowadays I'm sure it's not generally regarded as pejorative, although it depends on who's saying it and how :tongue2:.

kir5tie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my god, they are all adorable!!!. Well done to you & mommy! My little girl is 64 days (according to my estimate) & I'm nervously awaiting the kitty's! :-) can't wait!.

Question to the people who know about the colours in cats ( as I don't have a clue)
My female (Willow) is a tri coloured (white,greyish blackish & a light brown) & my male (Diesel) is all black with a few white hairs under his chin non are purebred could you give me a few pointers on the colours of the kittens? I'm very impatient!.
Willows mum was tri same colours as willow & her dad was tortie, Diesels mum & dad were both all black & so was his siblings.

Thank you all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anna27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :-). I will tell you a couple things. The birthing process, if you get to witness it, is in my opinion so exciting and beautiful! Also, you are going to have so much fun with those babies! Mine are almost 5 weeks old and there getting into everything, climbing everything and i love them all so much :-)

kir5tie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awe I sure hope I do!! Not just to witness it but me & Willow are so close, that I'd like to be with her just so she can see me in her room for reassurance!. I can't wait till they get that age, luckily I'm going to be able to watch them grow old as they are going to family :-), just got to wait till the big day xx

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you :-). I will tell you a couple things. The birthing process, if you get to witness it, is in my opinion so exciting and beautiful! Also, you are going to have so much fun with those babies! Mine are almost 5 weeks old and there getting into everything, climbing everything and i love them all so much :-)
It is when everything goes well...   Cats don't have many problems, but sometimes they do and they need urgent vetinary attention whatever the time of the day or night.  Kittens can have problems as well and weighing each kitten at about the same time each day and checking their weight gain is one of the best and easiest ways of spotting problems.  They should gain about 10g or more each day.  Grams are easier than ounces as there are no decimal points to worry about and 10 is an easy number to remember.

anna27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will not argue with that. My kittens started to develop small eye infections but of left untreated those small infections can be big problems. I just have them each a little antibiotics and syringe fed them the medicine with a little kitten formula for about 5 days and they were wonderful again :-). Took them and momma to the vet for follow up and vet said they were beautiful healthy babies :-)

anna27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks lindz :-) she is my little angel. I always wake up in the morning to get sleeping on my pillow lol