Pregnant cat w leaky, cowpie diarrhea & URI

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I am posting for an acquitance that has taken in a pregnant stray kitty. Kitty has an URI along w what she decribed as voluminous "cowpie" sometimes explosive diarrhea, and also leaking diarrhea from anus. Alot of gurgling sounds in tummy as well.

She has taken her to a Vet and tested negative for Feleuk/FIV, received 1st round of Vax, and Vet diagnosed w "Rotten gut", which Im guessing is same as leaky gut, Started her on a probiotic sprinkled over food. (Sounds like Fortiflora to me)

This "foster" has limited info to give, Im trying to extract as much info from her in order to help her help kitty. Im waiting to here back from her to see if fecal, Ghiardia snap were done at Vet.

She is currently feeding her Abound Salmon and Brown Rice kibble.

Dr did not start any antibiotics due to pregnancy.

Hopefully my next post will have more info but I want to help her w food suggestions and any other suggestions to get the diarrhea under control.

Ive thought maybe a diet of boiled chicken and some pumpkin puree might help or maybe canned Fancy Feast kitten pates in turkey? Trying to get her away from any fish in the diet, but also concerned changing diet during pregnancy could make diarrhea worse. Ugh.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay more info, the diarhhea does have blood and mucous in it and very melodious. She said that when she sneezes, she also has diarhhea so coming out both ends. :( Im waiting on her to send copy of labs from vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you did not receive a reply before this. As you can tell, this sounds serious and beyond diet, although that might have something to do with it. Originally, I was going to agree (still do) with your suggestions for a bland diet with pumpkin but nothing is getting better and it now sounds urgent. On top of that she is pregnant. Your friend is trying to help this cat herself or is associated with a rescue?

I realize that you are getting this information second hand, but it sounds as if more intervention is needed.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying! She is not w a rescue, but has reached out to me for help as I have a TNR organization. She is wanting to find homes for kittens and mom after wiened so "foster" was the first word I thought of. She informed me she has another Vet appt Friday. She sent me an invoice from visit, only shows fecal float and Drontal tab given along w Rabies, Vacc, Feleuk/FIV Neg and Fortiflora. Grrr.

I wish I could go w her to the Vet but shes 45 mins away and we both work full time, different shifts. Id like to see them test for Ghiardia and the benefit of antibiotics far outweigh the risks imo.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fecal Flotation

This article addresses the fact that the fecal flotation test may not be the final answer and that other tests in that category might be needed.

Given I don't know about treatment for pregnant cats personally in this condition, let me ask for some further input. Could you possibly give your friend a list of questions to ask when she goes on Friday?

Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The cat first needs a round of clavamox to clear the URI. Clavamox is safe to use during pregnancy. If the vet won’t prescribe during gestation she needs a different vet.

I would take the cat off the fish diet and switch her to chicken - whether high quality chicken wet food or boiled chicken and shredded with rice, or a combination of both.

Fortiflora will help the gut biome.

If the diarrhea does not clear, a round of metronidazole or fenbendazole will then treat giardia or whatever other parasites she may be harboring. Giardia does not always show up in fecal tests. Mom needs to be clear before giving birth so that she does not pass the parasites to her kittens.

How far along is she in her pregnancy?

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just messaged her with these exact thoughts! I told her to ask for a Ghiardia Snap and that if they would not provide antibiotics to find another Vet. She has been on boiled chicken for a few days now. I advised her to cut out anything w fish, tuna, etc. Shes not sure how far along momma is and Im in a neighboring town so it would be hard for me to get to her to have a look at momma.

I have a feeling a new Vet is going to be key here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
New vet sounds appropriate. I hope she follows through. Vet should prescribe regardless of a SNAP test. This happens often and the protocol generally works well. Chicken only diet is good. Keep us posted.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try adding saccharomyces boulardii (human yeast probiotic) to wet food. Start with 1/4 to 1/2 capsule twice a day. I wouldn't suggest Clavamox for URI because one of the most common side effects is diarrhea. If kitty is not eating well, try warming up wet food to enhance the aroma and entice kitty to eat. You can also try adding plain meat baby food to help entice kitty to eat. Steaming in the bathroom might help break up any congestion in her nose which would help breathing and smelling.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I beg to differ on the clavamox. I’ve never had a cat get diarrhea from taking it. L-lysine is an excellent supplement for keeping cats healthy overall, but not in place of a necessary antibiotic to cure an upper respiratory infection.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She would likely also benefit from wet kitten food for the pregnancy. I'd be concerned about her and the kittens getting enough nutrition from just boiled chicken; she definitely shouldn't be on that diet for very long.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I just talked to my friend and another cat in the household has developed same diarrhea. My money is on Ghiardia at this point. She also sent me some pics. I may try to get her in with my Vet. Momma cats stool has firmed up some since switching to boiled chicken and pumpkin puree.

20210720_231642.jpg

20210720_231550.jpg

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try adding saccharomyces boulardii (human yeast probiotic) to wet food. Start with 1/4 to 1/2 capsule twice a day. I wouldn't suggest Clavamox for URI because one of the most common side effects is diarrhea. If kitty is not eating well, try warming up wet food to enhance the aroma and entice kitty to eat. You can also try adding plain meat baby food to help entice kitty to eat. Steaming in the bathroom might help break up any congestion in her nose which would help breathing and smelling.
I've never had a problem w Clavamox but Im not a Vet. I have some S Boulardii but was told it was a bad idea to give a pregnant kitty by the lady that wrote the emergency diarrhea protcol in IBD kitties.