Pregnant Cat Hasn't Given Birth ???

Shanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 month old cat is tiny! But her stomach is about twice the size of her! She's hugee, I keep thinking she's gonna go into labour due to her nesting, sleeping all day and constant licking weeks ago but still no sign?? Her nipples have had no fur around them for 2 weeks and have been huge for about 4, some days she won't eat and others she eats heaps! No discharge or anything, she looks like she swallowed a huge ball, when is she due?? I'll add a pic I took of her two weeks ago but her stomach is much larger now

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have no idea when she bread etc, I thought she was due weeks ago

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats manage a little too long pregnancy better than humans. While a too short pregnancy is dangerous to the kittens.
So on the balance sheet of weighting risks, we almost always recommend to wait it out, unless she is in apparent danger. (bleeding, raised temp, the like).

In your case, she seems not to have dropped yet?? They usually do a couple of days before delivery.

Of course, if you DO have access to a vet whom is experienced obstetrician, its wise to ask for advice.

The really only exception (save open emergencies) is if you DO have a good count on the mating, and KNOW she is way overdue nearer the 70 days. Because the risks do increase, the mothercake may get loose.
In that situation we still recommend to wait it out, but the odds and risk calculum arent no longer heavy for it.

In fact, if you do have a good vet it may be safer to take a cesarean, as you now know the kittens are mature.
And if she has insurance the cost being negligible, I would recommend it...

Shanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok so a few hours ago she was fine, very very affectionate, then all of a sound she starts howling and hides in her nesting stop, she was breathing very hard and heavy and meowing loudly for about an hour and then it stopped, she got out of her nesting box and she's been fine since but still breathing slightly heaving and being a bit noisy, nothing out of the ordinary though, she's purring a lot and has been licking her area all day constantly??? I've checked her area and there doesn't seem to be anything happening??

Shanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just checked and there is discharge actually

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be the Braxton Hicks contractions, but I would guess the prelabor has started.

Has she "dropped"?

the prelabor phase may be quite long (but not all cats has it).
What we dont want is a long active pushing phase. This phase is typically shorter than with humans.

Shanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's defiantly dropped, no pushing that ive noticed she's quite hidden in her nesting box, I'm just worried because she seemed so distressed before but is fine now

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its touchy, so good you are observant. Usually it goes well, but now and then its necessary with the owners help for everything to become well.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is in labor! How exciting! How are things going now?

Shanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's good!! My flatmates cat had kittens a few weeks ago and she seems to be very obsessed with them within the last hour

Shanic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's given birth to two beautiful kitties so far, but her contractions stopped does this mean no more kitties?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's given birth to two beautiful kitties so far, but her contractions stopped does this mean no more kitties?
Probably, but some pauses, shorter or longer, are not unusual. So dont be surprised if she continues.

As long as she is OK as far as you can see, you can calmly wait and see.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, not necessarily, as cats can "stop" delivering and finish later if for any reason It is necessary. But if she didn't nor does now look stressed, then I would think that is it. Two healthy kittens is a good thing.
A vet is always the best choice for this, of course, at least if they know about cat pregnancies, as they have more experience and resources.
Now, just spoil momma with good canned and dry kitten food and weigh the kittens once or twice a day to monitor them as they grow.
And, if you are not a breeder, I would recommend you to start arranging things to avoid any future pregnanciew neutering both momma and kittens as soon as it is safe doing I, and not allowing her to go out or have contact with any intact male cats until then ;)
We like pictures here, so I am sure we will all love to see photos of momma and kittens :D

Last edited:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Probably, but some pauses, shorter or longer, are not unusual. So dont be surprised if she continues.

As long as she is OK as far as you can see, you can calmly wait and see.
Hey, I didn't see this when I was posting! Sorry for repeating the same info :compsurfing:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should separate the new mom from any other cats and kittens now. She needs to focus on her babies.

She can also get pregnant again even while nursing, and without going into heat.

Do you and your flat mate plan to spay your cats after these kittens have weaned?