Pregnant cat belly dropped, then fluffed back up again / permanent personality changes after birth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone noticed unusual behavior in their non-pregnant cats when labor is near? Do you think the other pets are aware of the pregnant one getting closer to giving birth? My other cat is a maniac today, just wondering if she is sensing something.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has anyone noticed unusual behavior in their non-pregnant cats when labor is near? Do you think the other pets are aware of the pregnant one getting closer to giving birth? My other cat is a maniac today, just wondering if she is sensing something.
What is the other cat doing?

Observe, if they arent the best friends, and the other cat is supporting in its maniac behavior, do separate them.... Its important momma to be, and momma, is kept stressfree and without no unnecessary troubles.

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The other cat - Winnie - was running around a bit. She's older and more serene usually. So for her it manic. LOL The really weird part is last night, Winnie stayed pretty close to Shiloh and Shiloh let her! They are NOT friends. It was like Winnie was lending her support.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she’s surely getting close! Here’s a photo of my cat the day before she gave birth. Very similar!
2F002341-35AE-4400-8BE4-FD30B38B4093.jpeg

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so excited for the kittens to come!!!! I'm a photographer and I even bought a new lens for baby photos! LOL

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had a thought. I know Shiloh is negative for FIV/AIDS, but if the dad wasn't, could the babies be born with those diseases? She was immunized, if that helps at all.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just had a thought. I know Shiloh is negative for FIV/AIDS, but if the dad wasn't, could the babies be born with those diseases? She was immunized, if that helps at all.
Is daddy not tested, or is he a known positive?

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Presume then he isnt positive....
He's most likely another stray, so there is a possibility. Would her vaccine cover the babies are could they be born with those diseases?

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is meowing non-stop. Doesn't appear to be in pain, just doesn't want me to leave her side. Literally. I have to sit on the floor right nex to the birthing nest. Is this normal? I expected some clinginess but not to this level.

She is attending to the kittens but will leave them frequently. They are eating, not crying and I have a heating pad in part of the nest to keep them warm, safe under a blanket. And not taking up the whole nest if they get too hot.

Does this all sound normal? First time going through this. Thanks!

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her belly feels soft, no sign of more kittens. And she doesn't appear to be in physical pain. Just very anxious and in need of reassurance and attention.

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to sleep in the same room as her last night on the bed maybe 3 feet away. She wasn't having it. I had to be on the floor right next to the nest.

Anniem319

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes its common they want support and assurance from their Ma. :)
OK thanks. I'm worried that she's rejecting her kittens, or there is something wrong. I may have read a few too many articles to be prepared! LOL