Pregnant cat and discharge

JenniferAnnSmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have taken in a stray cat that is pregnant. I have no idea when she conceived so no idea when she is due. The past few days she has started showing some signs of labor like licking, mammary development, and movement. This afternoon I noticed the red discharge that is in the photo. Is this normal? My vet is already closed for the day but I do plan on taking her in first thing in the morning. Thanks in advance for the help

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is very close to going into labor. Cats do have discharge at the end, but bright red blood can indicate a problem. Are you seeing much? Pinkish and brownish and even clear or milky discharge are normal, and you might see yellow if it’s part of the mucus plug. A vet check is always a good idea.

Thank you for taking her in, and do keep us posted on her progress and what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JenniferAnnSmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I'm not seeing a lot of discharge. It's mainly pinkish brown. She's been sleeping all evening on the couch.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, that’s normal end of pregnancy discharge. Just be patient. She’s very close. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JenniferAnnSmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on the kitten. We did lose one of the babies. Not sure what happened but it wasn't eating and wasn't doing well from the beginning. The little black one is a week old today. He/she weighed 200 grams this morning. Up to 205 grams this evening. Left eye is starting to open and baby seems to be doing well

Attachments