Pre-purchase checklist for transitioning to PMR diet

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I caught it quick enough, but I can't edit my posts for some reason so..

Anywhoooo.....
Right after I posted, you mentioned that you caught it.  It's all good.  And welcome!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Gah. And you JUST told me that! XD 

You'd think that as a 31-year-old college student at a good university I'd be able to read! ._.
I swear that nursing school has actually reduced my ability to think...

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay, so that's on the list. I'll probably pick it up at the pharmacy tomorrow. As for probiotics, is it okay to use something like this?
I'll let someone else weight in on the probiotic. I don't use them except when antibiotics are administered and then I use a prebiotic/probiotic/digestive enzyme supplement.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While it looks like an excellent probiotic, especially for the price, I personally avoid probiotics with a growth medium (the fructooligosaccharides: "FOS"). I give probiotics because my feelings are cats would naturally get a dose of probiotics with every meal if hunting in the wild - and FOS wouldn't be a part of that (to my knowledge). While I don't know which strains are "best" for cats, there is research on L. acidophilus and its safety and benefit to cats; and analysis of the bacteria in cats' GI systems indicate that lactobacillus and bifidobacterium are found in the guts of healthy cats.

I use this one:
I give my adult cats 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. A dose for kittens would be half that.

Last edited:

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good! Just a reminder, Lite salt with iodine. You probably already know that, I'm just reiterating it since the sodium, potassium, and iodine are needed. Be sure to look at the sodium content of the meat. It needs to be below 100 else they enhanced it with sodium.

l had a hard time finding anything called "lite" salt here. l chose Half-Salt by Windsor, then was horrified that one of my cats tested low in Potassium. Turns out the salt l use is exactly the same as lite salt, but l thought l'd stress to check for sodium, potassium, and iodine in proper ratio if you can't find the "lite".

Your scale looks good to me, it's similar to mine. l like that it measures in grams. Mine only goes to 10lbs, but if l tare to 9.9lbs, it'll obviously measure to 19.9lbs, so it won't hold you back, even if you decide to do extra-large batches.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm aiming for 10 pound batches. My freezer space is so tiny, I can't really be any more ambitious with it! But thank you for stressing that. I'll double-check that the salt I use has the right ratio.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:
l had a hard time finding anything called "lite" salt here. l chose Half-Salt by Windsor, then was horrified that one of my cats tested low in Potassium. Turns out the salt l use is exactly the same as lite salt, but l thought l'd stress to check for sodium, potassium, and iodine in proper ratio if you can't find the "lite".

Your scale looks good to me, it's similar to mine. l like that it measures in grams. Mine only goes to 10lbs, but if l tare to 9.9lbs, it'll obviously measure to 19.9lbs, so it won't hold you back, even if you decide to do extra-large batches.
I never saw an update on that issue, I assume everything is OK?

And yes, misunderstandings happen! Often!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never saw an update on that issue, I assume everything is OK?

And yes, misunderstandings happen! Often!
Yes, thanks for asking.

l took him back 2 weeks later and he tested within range, but at the low end. l don't have the sheet here but l think it was 3.8

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So... all's good?
Sounds like it!
Will there be any further follow-up?
All is well, thanks 

Dr L talked about supplementation, and another blood test. Poor Rhys apparently has super-tiny veins so Dr L has a hard time even collecting enough to test (one of the advantages of the i-Stat analyzer taking only 2 drops of blood to test 
). l told her l will bring in Tanner, who's 7 and a yakker. lf he tests low in K then l'll assume l'm doing something wrong with my homemade component of their food rotation. At that point, l'll opt for supplements for all of them, and come here for advice 

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It took four hours to prep, grind, mix, portion, and clean up. Longer than I expected, but I was working by myself. 

I realized halfway in that I forgot the gelatin. I live in the country, and my fridge wasn't going to hold all that prepped meat while I drove to town. So I went on without it. Maybe a mistake. Oliver doesn't seem to like the texture. It's quite liquidy. :/ Not much I can do about it now. Maybe he'll warm to it.

I ended up with 35 bags filled with ~ 6.5 ounces each, plus about 9 more ounces that I put in the fridge for the next day or two. I didn't do the math on paper, but rough estimates in my head, it came out to close the same prices as Fancy Feast. 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gelatin?

The worst part of making cat food for me is portioning it out. Clean up is easier.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, Dr. P's recipe for no-bones calls for unflavored gelatin. For the amount I made, I needed six tablespoons.
Gotcha. I have not been adding it to the boneless meats...I should start! Thankfully they only get a few meals a week of the pork (boneless but I add eggshell powder) but somehow I totally missed that about gelatin. They get gizzards in all of their meals as well, so they get some fibrous stuff.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, I added gizzards as well. First time I ever handled them. When I saw that yellow fibrous looking inside... *cringe*

Gross.

I had bought the package mostly for the hearts. In the entire package, there were only six hearts. Lame.

Oh, and I also had thigh meat, which was just loaded with skin. So I cracked the bones and dug out some marrow. Figured it was worth the effort, but that definitely added to the time. He did eat a little bone (or cartilage, maybe) from the thigh joint. That pleased me!

Last edited: