Powder To Add To Food To Make Human Grade L-lysine Taste Better??

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats love the Tomlyn immune support powder and Forti-Flora, but they are really picky (and clever) about detecting medicine in their food. I would like to buy the human grade L-lysine powder because it is so much cheaper and I have one pet on a bitter medicine he hates, so I am wondering what Tomlyn and Forti-flora use to make their products taste good enough that my cats LOVE eating them.

I made a mixture of Greenies treats and dried bonito flakes as a topper and that helps, but I am curious to see if anyone else has any tricks. Particularly about the bitter medicine (he has to eat it all). Pill pockets don't work or pill masker, cheese, butter, mixing with strong wet food. I can mix it with water and syringe it in, but he was feral, so when I do things like that, he becomes more reclusive and I just got him friendly a few months ago!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I haven't ever needed to give L-Lysine, but wonder what brand you are using. That might make a difference. There is a little information in this thread that might be helpful: Best Way To Give L-lysine?

As to the bitter medication, what form is it in? Giving meds can be difficult, and sometimes you've simply got to stick it down their throat rather than try to "bribe" them into taking it, especially if it's going to happen for the rest of their lives. To make it easier, if it's in pill form, you can put a terrible tasting pill inside a slightly larger empty gel cap so they don't taste the bitterness of the pill. Those gel caps can be purchased on Amazon and possibly even at a local drugstore. And you might try using a pill popper to get it down the hatch. Have you seen those in action? You can check Youtube for all kinds of videos of how best to pilll your cat. OF, lots of meds can be compounded into something a little more tasty, like tuna or chicken flavored, but sometimes if they are bitter to begin with, they cannot get that completely out, if you know what I mean. BUT sometimes they can actually compound them into transdermal gels or injectibles, which might be easier. We had one cat who was impossible to pill, so we did everything as a transdermal or injectible. We would just pet her and quickly rub it into her ear or give her the injection into her scruff while she was getting loved up and she never knew what hit her :lol:. Seriously, she just kept on purring as was none the wiser.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat9055

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have pilled him, I am just worried about his emotional health since he was a feral. His pills are powder (they come in a gel cap, but I have to open it to give him a third, so I have put it in the food so far. He'll eat it, but he has to be separated from the others while he does so they don't "help", so it can take a couple hours before he decides to eat it. I was just hoping someone would know what that fishy smelling powder was in the Tomlyn brand or Fortiflora (which smells like beef gravy) that makes it taste delicious to kitties.

Thanks for the advice!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora uses animal digest to appease to cats - it's actually full of more animal digest than probiotics. A lot of people use it as an appetite stimulant so you might sprinkle it on top of the L-lysine and see if it works.