Potential new kitty..with concerns..?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
HI Y'all. Today I was at a local humane society looking at a very sweet boy. He is likely a stray, and was sent to Wisconsin from Oklahoma. Apparently during the long drive, he knawed at his tail, and there is a bald spot there. Should I be concerned about this behavior, or was it likely confined to the stress of the drive? Also, he appears to be somewhat thin in the hindquarters (age is estimated at about one year, but I would say perhaps younger, maybe 9 months to a year); is this something that a good home with good nutrition will resolve? He is very sweet!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Any reputable Humane Society will give all animals a thorough medical review. They should also have any "issues" properly documented and any treatments performed. You can ask a staff member at the shelter what the bald spot is and what was/is being done about it.
As for being skinny, if it's a medical issue, it should also be in his notes. If not, and it's because he's a stray, that extra "home loving" will solve that problem right up when he's adopted 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The shelter told me that the bald spot on his tail was because he was very stressed during the long ride...and in a small carrier. Poor guy , he must have been really stressed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As stated above, there ought to be records that the Humane Society has that they should be willing to show you. That way you know what all procedures/testing has been done and what the results are. If all looks OK to you, then once you've adopted him, I would assume you will be taking him to your own vet for an introductory check up. Those records can then be given to your vet, and they can determine if they think any additional procedures (e.g.; blood work) should be performed.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is very new to the shelter...so I don't think much has been done other than neutering, and shots.i will double check. I plan to take him to my vet. ...but cannot do that until I have decided to go ahead with the adoption.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet emailed me today and said a new cat would need to be quarantined for a minimum of two weeks - or possibly more depending on his medical conditions. I dont have a way to that in my home. I just dont. She is concerned about the possibility of ringworm, and it possibly spreading to my other cats. I understand her concerns, but what does everyone do?? not everyone lives in a situation where they can close a new cat off for two weeks. Are there clinics that do this kind of boarding?