Post Your Cats On Your Bed

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
The work you do is amazing, and so important!

I agree, this whole adoption was a dream scenario, and I was so happy when the owners of the kittens wrote me back asking what kind of life I could offer the kittens. We do have our problems here too, this is the season for cat and kitten dumping, because people are going away for the summer. Just a few days ago there was an article in the newspaper about somebody leaving a box with a mama cat and her kittens in the forrest. Luckily somebody saw it, and got the cats. But I do think things have gotten better in the last few years. A few years ago you would find a lot of kittens being given away for free, at any time. Now it seems like there is lot less kittens, 90% has an adoption fee and most have a lot of people waiting to adopt. Both the animal rights group and people, on social media, has been working on educating people. Getting people to spay/neuter, chip, taking adoption fees and taking responsibility for their cats. We don’t have a problem with wild/feral dogs, because dogs typically cost a lot, and there has been good work done to give cats the same status as dogs. So something has changed since the last time I got a kitten, and that’s amazing. It also helps that the media reports on it, so that people can see the public outcry whenever somebody dump their cats. I’m guessing that is also why the number of homeless cats is going down. We do have them, but not as much as it used to be. Around here I haven’t seen a homeless in 15 years.

So people doing the kind of work you do is important, it’s the reason things have been getting better here.

You can have our winters! :D Pan hates the winter, so he makes himself an indoor cat between november and april. Medusa don’t mind, and all the Norwegian forrest cats I’ve had is Ok with winter, they were designed for it. But Pan is not having it! You’ll find him in front over the fireplace every winter. :)
:clap::clap2: :cheerleader::heartshape::touched:

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I forgot to write it in my other post, but I was also happy to see that in all the ads I saw, the kittens who were up for adoption were all 12 weeks old. I’m so happy to see that it seems to be the norm now, that people understands that kittens need their mum for more than 6-8 weeks. I got Medusa, my adult female, when she was 6 weeks, 13 years ago. It was a case of «take her, or we will kill her». So I did. But there is no question in my mind that these kittens, who stayed with mum and brothers, until 12 weeks of age, got a way better start in life. Medusa was scared, sick and needed a lot of help. Thankfully I already had Pan, who was about 16 weeks at the time, and he helped with showing her how to kitten and cat. The kittens I got now, at 12 weeks, are healthy, secure, loving and confident.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The work you do is amazing, and so important!

I agree, this whole adoption was a dream scenario, and I was so happy when the owners of the kittens wrote me back asking what kind of life I could offer the kittens. We do have our problems here too, this is the season for cat and kitten dumping, because people are going away for the summer. Just a few days ago there was an article in the newspaper about somebody leaving a box with a mama cat and her kittens in the forrest. Luckily somebody saw it, and got the cats. But I do think things have gotten better in the last few years. A few years ago you would find a lot of kittens being given away for free, at any time. Now it seems like there is lot less kittens, 90% has an adoption fee and most have a lot of people waiting to adopt. Both the animal rights group and people, on social media, has been working on educating people. Getting people to spay/neuter, chip, taking adoption fees and taking responsibility for their cats. We don’t have a problem with wild/feral dogs, because dogs typically cost a lot, and there has been good work done to give cats the same status as dogs. So something has changed since the last time I got a kitten, and that’s amazing. It also helps that the media reports on it, so that people can see the public outcry whenever somebody dump their cats. I’m guessing that is also why the number of homeless cats is going down. We do have them, but not as much as it used to be. Around here I haven’t seen a homeless in 15 years.

So people doing the kind of work you do is important, it’s the reason things have been getting better here.

You can have our winters! :D Pan hates the winter, so he makes himself an indoor cat between november and april. Medusa don’t mind, and all the Norwegian forrest cats I’ve had is Ok with winter, they were designed for it. But Pan is not having it! You’ll find him in front over the fireplace every winter. :)
Thank you. I am inspired by the wonderful Best Friends Animal Society, which has its headquarters in the beautiful redrock country of SW Utah. I have been there. It's a magical place and the personnel are truly caring, compassionate, intelligent people working to bring about a time when there are no more homeless "pets" (a word I don't use, because in my family, cats have always been beloved family members) -- and this, by 2025. I believe we can do it with everyone who cares doing what they can to bring this about.
It's very strange that there is this perception about cats when cats are by far the most beloved companion animals in the US and worldwide. The media and dog people are responsible for this inaccurate picture. In the US they try to promote dogs and ignore cats. It's very troubling and concerning. I won't play along.
I see that year after year, pollsters say that Norway is at the very top of best places to live! The Skogkatt has to be one of the major reasons for this, dont you think? :redtabby:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to write it in my other post, but I was also happy to see that in all the ads I saw, the kittens who were up for adoption were all 12 weeks old. I’m so happy to see that it seems to be the norm now, that people understands that kittens need their mum for more than 6-8 weeks. I got Medusa, my adult female, when she was 6 weeks, 13 years ago. It was a case of «take her, or we will kill her». So I did. But there is no question in my mind that these kittens, who stayed with mum and brothers, until 12 weeks of age, got a way better start in life. Medusa was scared, sick and needed a lot of help. Thankfully I already had Pan, who was about 16 weeks at the time, and he helped with showing her how to kitten and cat. The kittens I got now, at 12 weeks, are healthy, secure, loving and confident.
:heartshape::catrub:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes me so *all the negative emotions* to hear about Medusa's past! Thanks god YOU were there. And Pan, too. Yes, 12 weeks should be the minimum age for adoption. And call me weird, but I believe that, when possible families should stay together. Because they're FAMILIES. That's what I tried to do with the "community cats" 2 locations ago.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
That makes me so *all the negative emotions* to hear about Medusa's past! Thanks god YOU were there. And Pan, too. Yes, 12 weeks should be the minimum age for adoption. And call me weird, but I believe that, when possible families should stay together. Because they're FAMILIES. That's what I tried to do with the "community cats" 2 locations ago.
:hearthrob: :redheartpump: :touched: