Post surgery appetite

Gretchenb1206

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had an eye enucleation last Thursday, 2/13. Was wired as heck that night and Friday she was back to her normal self. She was on pain medication and eating and playing just fine. Now she is off the pain meds and only on antibiotics. She isn’t eating as much as usual, is it probably because she is off the pain meds and stressed from the pain? She usually eats hard food, but the past few days I have been doing soft food which she eats a little but of.
Just a worried cat mama!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be that she's uncomfortable/in pain not being on pain meds anymore, but it could also be a side effect from the antibiotics causing upset stomach. Could you contact your vet and see if a couple more days of pain meds or perhaps an appetite stimulant would be good for her? Is she licking or smacking her lips more (especially if she smells her food or just after eating) or drooling (which could mean nausea), vomiting or have diarrhea? You could also take her to get an anti-nausea med if that's the case.
It could also be that she wants her dry food and is holding out. Sometimes you have to ease into changing food to not cause any aversions.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had an eye enucleation last Thursday, 2/13. Was wired as heck that night and Friday she was back to her normal self. She was on pain medication and eating and playing just fine. Now she is off the pain meds and only on antibiotics. She isn’t eating as much as usual, is it probably because she is off the pain meds and stressed from the pain? She usually eats hard food, but the past few days I have been doing soft food which she eats a little but of.
Just a worried cat mama!
Taking certain antibiotics may make a cat a bit nauseated. It could take 2-3 days until they reach that state of feeling nauseated, so maybe your kitty could be just going through that nausea related to the antibiotics? It might be a good idea to let the vet know, and maybe they have some suggestions to help her eat more. If you know your cat pretty well, you might be able to decipher from her actions whether she is feeling pain, or is just nauseous. Sometimes it can be tricky to figure that out!
35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain – Cat Articles

Your main goal is to keep her eating as regularly as you can while she is recovering.
Sending my best wishes! :vibes::crossfingers:

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a worried cat mama!
ask your vet about hill's a/d critical care food
its made to be extra enticing and help animals post surgery/illness recover..... when my kitty was extremely ill this was the only thing she'd try.