Post Spay Worries

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan is getting spayed next week and while I'm not worried about the spay itself I do have a few concern about the after care. First, she's use to play time every morning followed by breakfast and meows loudly if I'm not fast enough. Should I just skip playtime the morning of? Second, she is Super active, always running, climbing, or pouncing. How do I keep her calm until she's all healed? I can't afford to buy a puppy pen, and no one I know has one I can borrow. Our apartment is kind of small and every room has something she can climb on. Moving furniture isn't an option

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neko-chan is getting spayed next week and while I'm not worried about the spay itself I do have a few concern about the after care. First, she's use to play time every morning followed by breakfast and meows loudly if I'm not fast enough. Should I just skip playtime the morning of? Second, she is Super active, always running, climbing, or pouncing. How do I keep her calm until she's all healed? I can't afford to buy a puppy pen, and no one I know has one I can borrow. Our apartment is kind of small and every room has something she can climb on. Moving furniture isn't an option
As far as I know, a spayed kitty isn't willing to play or run for a couple of days post op. Especially on the next day they are still rather sleepy, plus the pain from the surgery should be a good incentive not to run or jump.
Anyway, if you put an e-collar to your kitty, she would feel a bit in difficulty and this should refrain her energy for a few days.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Antonio65 Antonio65 , a cat is usually quiet for a day or so after the op, effects of anaesthetic and soreness, but a collar is important to stop them worrying the site. You can play with her if she wants to play but encourage gentle games, no running or jumping. Sit and talk to her, smooth her and keep her as quiet as possible. Let us know how you get on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long should she be wobbly on her feet? It's been 24 hours and she's still not quite steady. She has eaten, drank, and used the litter box though.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only one of my kittens was chill after she was spayed, the others were hyper, not sure why. I kept them in a closest for a few days and put them in their carriers most of the day.