Post-spay: Stitch Types? Cone? Litter?

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey folks! I know there are already a host of other posts about this, and I've searched through and read them alllll... but I wanted to address a more comprehensive set of questions / experiences, and see if anyone could weigh in!

My two female kittens are now 5.5 months, and just got spayed on Monday (4 days ago). The vet insisted on:
- wearing the hard plastic e-collar for TWO weeks
- using regular litter

This is very different than my last female kitten's post-op instructions... I understand that every vet is different, and that there are different methods of securing the incision, from what I hear?

After 3 days in the cone (and reading up on these forums) I made a run to Target and bought some preemie baby onesies to give them some relief while still covering the stitches. (Picture attached!)

They seem happier... well, kind of... hehe. One of them is attempting to lick and nip at the fabric on her belly, though...

Should I be concerned?
Should I have stuck to the cone?

Attachments

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, Welcome to the forum!
When my cat got spayed, i was told to keep the hard collar on for two weeks as well, but she hated it! She could not reach her food and continuously bumped into things (God bless her!). I just took it off after a week and she did not even attempt to lick at it once! She just carried on as usual...
If you have done something to cover it up then it should be fine as they wont be able to reach it. But, keep checking on the area just in case they tear it. You could try out the fabric cones which are apparently way better for them as it restricts them from going near the area but it bends slightly so they can do normal things such as eat their food properly etc...
I hope everything goes well!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yep, that's right, if you have it covered and you should not be too worried about them licking the wound. Just watch that they don't rip the onesies apart and occasionally check the site for bleeding or pus or smell. Slight bleeding (light colored blood is ok) If there it's normal colored blood, I'll be concern and probably check with the vet.

Keep the surgery site dry. They looked very cute in their onesies :lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! It's reassuring to know my instincts (and the other forum suggestions!) were correct. :)

The grey long-hair (Volta) is a little too small for her onesie, so she was wriggling out of it a bit last night, but with a few stitches and a readjustment it seems like it will work out.

They are certainly being little drama queens about walking in them, but I'm sure they'll adjust :) (And when dinner was put out they suddenly had NO trouble finding their footing... hahaha ;) )

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, that's right, if you have it covered and you should not be too worried about them licking the wound. Just watch that they don't rip the onesies apart and occasionally check the site for bleeding or pus or smell. Slight bleeding (light colored blood is ok) If there it's normal colored blood, I'll be concern and probably check with the vet.

Keep the surgery site dry. They looked very cute in their onesies :lovecat2:
Their sites seem to be doing alright - just a little rough to the touch, which I assume is normal? Volta's is a bit more red and raw-looking around the stitches themselves, but neither have had any bleeding or puss!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It'll be raw looking as for now because it was a recent surgery. Don't be too over worried about it but just keep watch :wink:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't remember post-spay for Shadow, other than a brief memory of her trying to lay on her side and swiftly changing to laying on her stomach. But when they removed the mammary glands and the tumors, they didn't use an e collar at all and told me to get baby onsies.

Keep a close eye on Volta. Two weeks after Shadow's surgery the incision was red and moist, but no pus or bleeding. Turns out red and moist two weeks after surgery was a post-operative infection that required antibiotics.

dananab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The girls are doing well! Running and playing in their onesies, looking too adorable :)

The stitches are completely dry, and seem to be getting better by the day. Still rough to the touch, but less red and no leaking of any kind.

Freddie does have a little lump near the bottom of her's, which I'll be pointing out to the vet when we have a check up next week.

Another photo to thank you for your help :)