Post Spay Lump

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten Piper has a lump on her spay incision. I know Lumps are normal after spays, my last cat Daisy had one too. But it wasn't this shape.
It started off feeling like liquid, but it has gotten firmer. It started Sunday. She was spayed on Wednesday. Not hard, not hot, doesn't seem to bother the kitten when it is touched. We called the vet and our vet wasn't in, but the vet that was there said it was normal and that she didn't need to come in. Either way we are taking her to see her main vet tomorrow just to be sure.

I attached photos to get opinions. She is acting 100% normal.

Thank you!

pip.jpg pip2.jpg pip3.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So neither of you have had a cat that was spayed with a lump? I don't know whether it looks normal or not, regardless of going to the vet I still am curious so I know what to expect.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A little swelling or a slight lump with internal stitches isn't uncommon. But that seems a little bigger then normal, I am glad you are taking her in. I don't think I've seen a lump like that on any of my females who were spayed.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t predict what your vet will say. I have seen lumps before but that does not mean the condition was the same. Antibiotics were prescribed for my cat and they did the trick. It was a quick healing after that.

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My fear would be that it was a hernia. But I don't know if a hernia would start out feeling like liquid then get firmer. Not firm as in hard, but firm as in not fluid. I get anxious over my cats very easily.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our kitten developed quite a large lump (seroma) a week after being spayed. It literally was NOT there and the next morning there was a golf balled sized mass under the incision site. I freaked out.
Brought her in that day (thankfully our vet knows us very well and was able to squeeze us in) and she confirmed that it was just a collection of debris that sometimes forms and that it would eventually dissipate but could take several weeks. She actually said it's not uncommon so they forget to mention it at times. Luna didn't mind it being touched, it didn't hurt but it sure looked ugly and weird.
She suggested doing warm compresses for about 5 minutes twice a day (kind of hard to do on a cat let alone a kitten) for a week. It took nearly a full month for it to go back down to normal but it did finally level out and she's perfectly fine now.
EDIT: FYI they do not do anything else about these because it's actually better to leave them alone. If they aspirate them to collect the fluid, there is a risk of the fluid (which obviously has bacteria in it) escaping and then infecting surrounding tissues. But if left as is it's in a sterile environment - just need to be sure the incision is tight, and not in danger of opening (which normally doesn't happen anyway)
Oh and it looked EXACTLY like your babies does. Literally same size.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get anxious over mine too. It’s tough when we get worried. Try not to stress too much. I’m not a vet but I’m guessing it is similar to what I have seen. I’ve had over 100 spayed and neutered. They all got through it fine. A few required some antibiotics but nothing more. The vet can clear up any questions. You’re an excellent kitty guardian! I love it that you are going to take her in rather than relying on a phone call. It’s always better if the vet actually sees what you see. Lumps are common from swelling but varying size is hard to convey on the phone. Always trust your instincts in these things. If nothing else, the vet can end your worry and that feels great! ;)

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks you all! I hope it is nothing serious. As I said my previous kitten, almost 2 now, had a lump, but I thought it was a different shape. It was hard and took a while to get rid of. This one on Piper appeared over night, it wasn't there then it was. It doesn't look at big in person, but then again Piper is a little thing, so it may appear larger on her than it would a larger cat.

I will find out tomorrow for sure. I have to work, so I am having a family member take her in. Going to the vets gives me anxiety after my cat Peaches died last July. I'm so lame lol.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good job getting her to the vet for a check of the lump. Mine have had lumps, but not to that degree.

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today it is much smaller. It probably looked big because the angle or that she's just a small cat.
The vet said it was a seroma. Piper apparently took her own stickes out too, which I didn't even notice. It must have happened over night because she never touches the area or has the cone off during the day.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't think it looked very concerning. Just a little larger than normal. Does she have the cone off at night? When would she have gotten to the stitches? What did the vet do about it?

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No it never came off. She's a small cat, but she's long, so maybe she was able to still reach them?? The vet said if it doesn't go away she can drain it, but it looks smaller now that it did earlier today. Maybe it will be gone by the end of the week.