Post Radioactive Iodine Care

crunchie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has just returned home from her l131 treatment and I was wondering how strict I have to be with the instructions from the clinic. Specifically I was wondering about the contact with the cat. I was told to limit contact to 1 hour a day and to not let the cat sleep with me. My cat has always slept in the bed to start the night (then leaves to sleep in a chair). I live in an apartment so there isn't another room to lock her into and if I close the door to the bedroom then she cries at the door to let her in.
So, just wondering if anyone who has had a cat go through radio-iodine treatment ignored the "close-contact" instructions.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first eight to ten days are absolutely critical, and the younger you are, the more critical it is to limit your exposure. This article might very well - if read carefully - prevent thyroid cancer for you in the future:

I131 - Dangerous Misinformation

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat received the I-131 injection in August and I was told that I had to limit the contact with her to not more than 10 minutes a day and wash my hands right afterwards. They also told me not to allow the cat next to me or on my lap and to be very careful about any fluid (saliva, urine) from her body.
All of these cautions should have been observed for the first 30 days.

Scooping the litter was another critical procedure. I was adviced to wear disposable gloves on both hands, to throw the clamped litter and poop into a separate bag and to store all these bags in a bin far away from home for at least 90 days before disposing of them.

As a matter of fact I completely disregarded the precautions of not letting her next to me. She is a very sensible cat and any difference in her routine could lead her not to eat for days. I couldn't allow that, so I let her next to me from day 1.

All the other procedures were strictly followed.