Possible UTI

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey
My male cat 1 yr old Fudgey about 2 weeks ago started going to litter box frequently and only peeing little each time
Took him the vet and she said she didn't get a urine sample cause when took him out of the carrier he was scared n peed
So going by what I told you she prescribed Orbax 1.8 ml once daily
Well I started giving that to him the same day
Well he got to doing better and started making larger urine clumps and not going as often as he was
Things was looking good
Now he's starting to do it again but decent clumps sometimes and tiny ones other times and on the tiny ones he will go frequently
Wanted to mention I was giving him squeeze up tuna n shrimp flavor treats every day and this was all going on

But Im stopping that immediately...cause of mercury..and the phosphorus..and magnesium said can cause kidney problems
Or too high levels of it can

He has an appointment this week
But any ideas or advice on this
Is orbax just not great for cat UTI
If that's what it is
There's going to be blood work and other tests done this time
I assumed the vet knew what to do
I researched orbax and it doesn't reflect on cats UTI s at all
Help
Fudgey and me need answers
TIA

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We can't really diagnose whether this is a UTI or not. For instance, I took one of my guys in the the Vet because he was drinking tons and his coat was unkempt, but nothing untoward in the litterbox, yet it turned out he had a UTI. He was on some antibiotic for two weeks (I forget which one, but not Orbax) and then went back in for a recheck and it turned out he still had it. I asked for a urine culture and it turned out he had some type of bacteria that only two antibiotics would fight, so we did another two weeks with one of them and that did the trick. But what I'm saying here is that he didn't exhibit any of the normal UTI symptoms.

Orbax isn't typically the drug of choice for a UTI, but since your Vet wasn't able to get a urine sample, that may be why they chose it. I would talk to them via phone Monday and see what they think. Was it a two week dosage? Is he still on it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
We can't really diagnose whether this is a UTI or not. For instance, I took one of my guys in the the Vet because he was drinking tons and his coat was unkempt, but nothing untoward in the litterbox, yet it turned out he had a UTI. He was on some antibiotic for two weeks (I forget which one, but not Orbax) and then went back in for a recheck and it turned out he still had it. I asked for a urine culture and it turned out he had some type of bacteria that only two antibiotics would fight, so we did another two weeks with one of them and that did the trick. But what I'm saying here is that he didn't exhibit any of the normal UTI symptoms.

Orbax isn't typically the drug of choice for a UTI, but since your Vet wasn't able to get a urine sample, that may be why they chose it. I would talk to them via phone Monday and see what they think. Was it a two week dosage? Is he still on it?
It was like a 2 week dosage
He's got about 1 or 2 more doses left
And he's going to vet this week