Possible stroke, symptoms and recovery

G-Factor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Possible Stroke - Symptoms and recovery

I'm sharing this for anyone at some point goes through something similar. End note: My cat Ian is doing well.

Prefix: Male cat (Ian), 13 years old. Diagnosed at age 12 with hyperthyroid, on Methimazole twice daily to control T4. No other conditions.

Day 0: First 12 hours. Between hours of 8:00am and 5:00pm, Ian had a suspected stroke. I came home, all cats including Ian came to kitchen, feeding time. Ian fell off the stepping stool used to jump onto the counter. I then noticed while he was sitting, his right rear leg was straight instead of being under him. I thought maybe he injured his leg. I then noticed that his right front leg would slowly slide out from under him when sitting. Ian ate normally.

Day 0: Hours 12-24. Ian slowly worsened, he refused to climb stairs and had real difficulties jumping up on the couch. While in his cat bed while sitting, his front right paw would fold over, or his front knuckle would bend instead of being straight. He would also have real difficulties freeing his right front claw from being caught on anything, almost like he has lost motor control. Most of his idiosyncrasies changed for the worse such as stopped purring, wouldn't talk to me. He pretty much wouldn't leave his bed. He would sometimes loose his balance and fall over if he isn't carefull.

After researching, I suspect he had a mini stroke. This was on a Friday. No other visible symptoms.
I clipped his nails and moved the cat litter up near the couch and monitored him closely. I placed a stepping stool near the couch for him to navigate.

Day +1: Ian pretty much stayed the same for the entire day. Appetite was good, we would walk but very slowly but rarely left his bed on the couch. Same visible weakness in both front and rear legs. Balance is about the same.

Day +2: Ian has some improvements. He came up stairs but would miss landing his right rear leg several times while going up. His jump onto the couch seems be improving, but still has to drag himself up.

Day +3: Vet visit. All blood markers are good. T4 levels are great on Methimazole. I didn't opt for any other tests. Vet couldn't rule out a stroke, nor could he confirm, monitor and report back if worsens. At home, Ian is navigating the stairs reasonably well. He is walking more confidently (slowly), balance seems better. He is hopping up on the couch better. Appetite is good, unchanged.

Day +4 through +7: Ian continues to improve daily. Many of his idiosyncrasies that made Ian the goofball he is, are slowly coming back. He is able to trot again. Balance is much improved. Ian still misses placing the his hind leg sometimes when going up stairs or jumping, but doesn't seem to bother him much now. I still notice that his right legs just aren't in the right spot when sitting, but his legs don't slide out from under him now.

Day +14: Two weeks have past. Ian continues to improve. I am finding it difficult now to notice any effects of the incident. He still sometimes misses landing his right leg when jumping. His right front knuckle sometimes bends oddly, then he corrects it. He still sometimes sits weirdly, his legs aren't quite under him sometimes. His behaviors all seem normal now, though I think he now understands a bit that his right legs aren't quite the same as before, so he has learned to compensate. At least that is best I can explain it.

To summarize. Ian has made a good recovery from a suspected stroke. I am only guessing it was a stroke based on some of the symptoms. I also suspect that his years of overactive thyroid may have played a part in this, so I'm happy that his T4 levels are good now on the meds. Hopefully this is a one-time incident and that he continues to do well.

Thanks for reading.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again G-Factor G-Factor ! (I posted to you a few years ago when Oreo had an adverse reaction to a pain med.)

Has your Vet discussed with you what might have caused the suspected stroke, or have you done any searching?

I'm asking because one of the most common causes is high blood pressure, hypertension, and that's often the result of uncontrolled hyperthyroidism.

Now, you've said he's been diagnosed as hyperthyroid and is given methimazole to control it.

Has his blood pressure ever been tested?

Are you having his thyroid levels checked on a regular periodic basis and what's that schedule and that latest test date?

I'll give you a reliable plain-language piece on strokes.....it's a very short read....but be sure to follow the link in the sentence "See below for more on this." It will take you to a section on treatment - and you'll learn there that sometimes cats who have had strokes will begin to have seizures. OK, here's that piece on Strokes.

(That short section on strokes is part of a much larger coverage of hypertension, scrolling up will take you to the beginning of that.)

So, to sum up: It's probably wise to check his thyroid level (in case it's raised/spiked) and certainly critical to test his blood pressure (and treat if necessary).

And, keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

G-Factor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello white shadow white shadow , thanks for the follow-up and additional information.

I haven't had any further discussions with my vet on what may have caused the stroke. I suspect it may have been hypertension, but I don't think it was tested at the vet, or I didn't see the results. Ian was very unruly while at the vet.

I had an upcoming scheduled vet appointment for testing of his thyroid which we combined once I had him in the clinic. So initially we did bloodwork to confirm his levels was sky high, I did a follow-up appointment and tested bloodwork several months after his initial visit. This latest bloodwork from a couple weeks ago would have been about a year (and some) after his initial assessment, which showed his T4 levels to be slightly below normal, so well under control with the meds.

I've read that some cats may have seizures post stroke, so I'm keeping my eye on him. I'll have to get his BP measured, for now though he is doing well.