Possible Fip? Please Help

Brietaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my kitten is 6-months old and I feel completely helpless when it comes to saving him or making him feel better. I just need opinions on what could be going wrong here.

So it started with a bloated tummy. I thought he was getting fat. Then diarrhea, so I thought it was worms. But he also stopped eating as much so that worried me. Brought him to the vet and he had 105.1 fever, 106 being the point where they start to take organ damage. They were worried he has FIP. We tested for worms, no worms. They put him on antibiotics.

That night and the next day he got worse. So bad I wanted to take him to an ER. Completely lifeless, not eating or drinking, bloated as anything. Took him to a different vet the next day. They pulled the fluid from his stomach, it didn't look like typical FIP fluid, it looked like and had the consistency of urine. So they squeezed his bladder to force him to pee to see the comparison. It wasn't urine. So he took a sample and is sending it to get tested for FIP, I'll have the results in a couple days. He gave him a shot to make him pass the fluid.

I've talked to a lot of people and read a lot online. There's been stories of kittens being sick for months on end but then making full recoveries and living 12-13 years. There's been a lot of misdiagnoses that led to euthanasia.

So as of right now, he seems to be slowly improving although rapidly losing weight because he stopped eating and drinking. He's drinking again, he will randomly have an appetite. I'm giving him a nutrition supplement formula by syringe every 2-3 hours, antibiotics twice a day, vitamins once a day, handfeeding him water whenever I get the chance. I bought canned food that's very light with low sodium so it won't make him bloat more and I try to get him to eat that. He gets into random moods where he's himself again, begs for his hard food (which he no longer throws up). It's honestly just a waiting game where I keep doing everything I can and hope for the best but it's not looking good.

Everyone says the small signs of progress, like his fever being gone and moving around more and drinking water and wanting food in the mornings, all mean he's going to be okay. But that's my child and I'm going to be terrified he's about to die any second until he makes a full recovery, if he does. His lethargy and loss of appetite scare me, it's like he's not even the same kitten.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I don't blame you for being scared to pieces! Wow. If you can, keep mentally hanging on to those improvements. That little boy needs you to stay strong and to tamp down all the emotions, except for the love.
We're all rooting for you, and sending all of our good thoughts and prayers your way!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is a really good sign that he will drink water and eat occasionally. The hydration and nutrition is what keeps his body running and fighting. Keep up the nutritional supplementation and make sure he’s drinking water. I’m so sorry you are going through this. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brietaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm hoping that him not declining rapidly is a sign that it might not be FIP. But I get results today or tomorrow. Thank you very much❤, I'll post an update when I have one.

It is a really good sign that he will drink water and eat occasionally. The hydration and nutrition is what keeps his body running and fighting. Keep up the nutritional supplementation and make sure he’s drinking water. I’m so sorry you are going through this. Please keep us updated!

Brietaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

Unfortunately, I woke up this morning and Silas was shaking after giving him formula. In a way that suggested his nerve system might be going. He had tried to go to the litter box and missed, half peeing on the floor. He tried to drink at some point in the day, stuck his mouth into the water and kept it closed while staring off.

The decision was made to put him to rest, he passed peacefully. The people at the clinic were very sympathetic and sensitive to the situation, they made us very comfortable so we could say goodbye.

He is deeply loved and will be terribly missed. One of the most outgoing, loving and playful cats I've ever come across.

Thank you for your kind words

MowgsandBags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am going through a similar situation with my kitten - did you ever get the diagnosis?
I am sorry to bring up this as I imagine you have grieved, but I am terrified of loosing my baby

Brietaylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You’re good, I understand entirely what you’re going through. I combed through website after website looking for answers for hours on end, reading tons of stories about others that were diagnosed with FIP or misdiagnosed.

The same morning that I woke up and realized he wasn’t getting any better, the vet called as I was on my way to work and told me he had tested positive for FIP.

I pray that your baby doesn’t have FIP and meets a better end than mine did. I’m not going to pretend like I handled that situation well, because I loved and continue to love and miss Silas to this day... but it gets easier. It really does. The worst part is watching them be sick and feeling like you can’t do anything to help them. If your kitty does have FIP and doesn’t improve, just know that you did all that you could and he/she can feel that love you’re giving them.

Please let me know how everything turns out, you’re in my thoughts and prayers❤