Possible Ferals And A Stray (in Australia)

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, okay so I have been reading everything I can to find out the difference between strays and ferals but I would love some expert opinions, Im in Australia so the problem with calling a shelter is that they euthanise ferals hear :( So I'd prefer not too.
Okay so I moved hear in April, the house had been vacant for over 12 months and the house next door aswell. When I moved in I noticed When I would go out into the back yard their would be a few different cats in it until I came out and scared them and they would all scatter away. One night I was sleeping and I could hear cats fighting so I went out the front (they where in the front yard of the vacant house next door) and along with scaring me shitless With them all scattering away (clearly scaring them too) I started to realise they possibly are feral. So I started leaving food, water and a bed in my front yard for them. Slowly over the past 3 months I have gotten to see who I am feeding, their is a black adult, a white adult and what looks to be maybe a 6-12 month old kitten. Now these cats wouldn't come near me but are starting to not run from me and let me put food in their bowls for them aslong as I stay in my spot and leave them alone while they eat, but when they approach the bowl it is with great caution. I mostly only see them at night when they come to eat, with some exceptions during the day as they seem to start being comfortable sometimes napping in my front yard but as soon as I come out to go to my car or get mail etc the white one always runs for a drain accross the road and hides in their, and the kitten runs off somewhere.
The black one sleeps in my back yard on a seat when it's raining (it's under shelter) all night. I started to notice when they would wait for me at night to put the food out in my front yard (if I was late leaving food out) that their was another one with them. I have seen it run off into the drain with the white one before.
This one has started to let me pat it, every night around 5pm he waits for me to come out and feed and pat him/her, it was very cautious at first and as soon as it hears a noise it runs off but then comes back when realises it's not at risk. It won't let my partner pet it at first and took a few goes of him being with me to finally let him pat it. I have started to let him/her in the house (with the door open) and he/her likes to investigate it and then run back out then back in and out continuously for awhile. It's started to get more comfortable where he/her will sit on the couch with me (it's winter hear at the moment).
I noticed a cat (someone's pet) tried to come in and it wouldn't let it come in and tried to fight it (so I had to shoo the pet cat off to prevent a fight). I only see it at night like the white one and when it eats it eats a lot as if it hasn't eaten all day. So my question is, do you think this cat is a stray, feral or someone's pet? I'm sorry for the long question but I figure every detail counts and I don't want to risk calling and asking a shelter hear incase it is a stray.
Any input would be great, thank you so much
Laura

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one that comes in is likely a stray that had some sort of socialization when young or else had some taming as an adult. Likely, s/he has reverted back to feral but what you have done (Bravo, by the way! :yess:) is gotten its trust so it is now semi-feral. The other 2 sound very feral. I have several colonies of ferals that I work with and the only time they have ever been touched is after being sedated in the cat trap for their spay/neuter.
Are there any groups who can help you do trap/neuter/vaccinate/release? if you don't mind feeding them, it is a great way to control your local cat population.
And Welcome to TCS!! Tomorrow is 4th of July here in the States so you will probably get more responses since we mostly have the day off. :welcomesign: ~~ Susan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Susan thank you so much for your response, it is Thursday morning hear so I just woke up so sorry on the delay, and happy 4th of July
Ahh okay yeah that makes sense. I was almost certain the 3 are strays, I was watching the older kitten yesterday after reading behaviour of ferals and it's all spot on, it stays crouched to the ground with tail low wrapped around body, very timid etc, same with the white one. But guess what, the black one just let me pat it this morning. I didn't want to over do it as it was clearly very nervous so I tickled its chin and patted it abit then left it alone to eat, but I was so happy it just felt so rewarding. I always thought this black cat was a feral because it has always ran away from me and it is very dirty and has a very scrappy coat and always sleeps all night out the back on an outdoor lounge that's under cover when it's raining. But after it saw me patting the semi feral one it has stopped running from me if it sees me in the front yard and had started to let me slowly come close and put a bowl of cat milk infront of it, it would kind of look as if it was meowing except no noise would come out and then this morning I came out and shook the bag and called out to them as usually the older kitten comes to get its breakfeast before it dissapears for the day, but the black cat came and was clearly hungry and wanted to come over to me and the food but was unsure, so I got on my knees and moved the milk and food towards it and honestly I think it was just that hungry and maybe realised I wasn't going to hurt it because I play with the other one and it let me pat it. So could this one be semi feral aswell? Sorry to give you a whole story book but I feel every detail might help.
Thank you for your kind words they are very reassuring, especially with a less enthusiastic partner. (He thinks spending my money on them is stupid since they can live off birds and their fur keeps them warm ‍♀) but his started to get used to it when he realised I wasn't stopping lol.
I have not heard of the catch neuter release over hear I just know that if any animal shelter gets a feral they euthanise it which is why I havnt dared to call. I have been reading about it on American sites and jeez it's a fantastic idea, I will research it today and get back to you, but I'm wondering if maybe I can do it personally at a vet without getting animal shelters involved. I will enquire about that aswell I think.
Thank you so much again for your response it was very helpful and I really appreciate it.
I hope you had/having a great July 4th xx

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi L Laura_au and welcome to TCS!

You're right.. it is very hard to TNR in Australia. The thing to do with the stray, if you can, is to catch him/her and take her to a vet to see if she has a microchip. They are now required by law and there is a chance there could be one. If so the owner can be notified, and if that doesn't work out, I believe the cat could be rehomed through a no-kill shelter (not the RSPCA if s/he is unlikely to find a home quickly. AWLQ is where I would go as I'm just out of Brisbane).

Vets are now hard-wired in to refusing to spay/neuter ferals and will want to euthanise. It means we're stuck between a rock and a hard place, as just feeding feral colonies is not a good idea without spay/neuter for obvious reasons. Here at TCS we discourage that.

There could well be 'underground' type organisations with will work with you, but I don't know where you are, and they're not easy to find. :frown:

This isn't really my area as where I live there are really only strays that I've come across. But I do have a friend who works with ferals and is now in the same situation as you find yourself. I think Queensland is particularly bad:

In Queensland, cats are only defined as owned or feral, and so all urban stray cats are subject to legislation relating to feral cats. Community Cat programs - Australian Pet Welfare Foundation

If you can give us some idea of where you are, we can try to find some group that may be able to help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:headshake: It seems like cats are getting a lot of bad press in Australia & NZ lately - vilified for exterminating native species, as if climate change and habitat encroachment are insignificant.
It can be like that here in rural California, too. :argh: It is why I have tried to stay under the radar when helping ferals. Slowly but surely, though, people are beginning to reach out to me. I keep cats and the dear people who want/like/act to help them continually in my prayers :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
I'm so sorry in my late reply I have been so sick with the flu :(
Okay so I have an update :-/ I think the one I play with is a stray because I have found out (due to a 5:30am wake up) that it has also been sleeping on my outside couch with the white feral one (they defently must be friends as I thought) and I have some badish news, after hearing the black one meowing all night then the one I play with came round later that afternoon with all these cats following it, the black one tried to mount it and it didn't want it since she jumped into my bins to get away while I shooed it away, I had decided to sit with her cause I didn't want to bring her in with my one year old in the house until I worm her. (He has been asleep when I have bought her in the other times)
so I sat with her out the front keeping the cats away until she saw one she liked and ran off and the black one got her and started to have sex with her on the road :-/ is she likely to be pregnant now?
Okay now to answer your questions, yes Australia sux when it comes to ferals, these cats are happy which is why I don't want to disrupt them and have them euthanised, plus the one that always visits me (the one that might now be pregnant) and the black one I am thinking of adopting myself, if she is pregnant then I will get her sprayed at a vet after and explain I have adopted her do you think they will be okay with that? And thank you for answering my question I am shocked that vets won't help, that really discusts me and I really agree with the American way of doing this.
But I'm willing to do what I can, My partner thinks I'm crazy for doing this but I don't have the heart I love animals. Oh and I'm in Sydney by the way.
Their is a Facebook page called campbelltown lost and found they offer microchip scanning do you think I should try them? I mean I have always been mixed about weather she's got a home or stray but I'm almost certain she's stray/semi feral now. I think she's been abandoned. I live in a crappy part of Sydney so it would make sense that their would be a**holes throwing cats away.
I didn't know about the "underground" type that do this, if you know or have any info I would love to know it thank you. I'm out near campbelltown.
And to "catsknowme" you are right they get horrible press, I'm having huge problems with my partner over this, he keeps saying to me "if you want a cat I'll buy you a cat" and I say to him "I don't want a cat I want to help these" Urgh! It drives me nuts, some people pffft!! when I went out the back for my ciggerette when I woke up and saw the possible pregnant female on my couch (the white feral ran straight away when it saw me) I patted her and her coat was freezing :( I felt horrible so I opened up my laundry and she ran in and I fed her, it breaks my heart :(
She is such a sweetheart, they are all sweethearts even if half of them run off into the drain when they see me lol.
Anyways I await your replies and thank you so much for getting back to me,
Laura xx

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And I'm sorry if some of my questions sound dumb, I don't know much about cats mating and ferals as this is all very new to me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: Hello again from California :hellosmiley:
You can relax about the cats (for a little bit); they mate first & then ovulate (just like dogs, which is how a litter can be mixed between purebred & moggy/mutt). Most vets will spay till at least the first month of pregnancy; my vet says that the general anesthesia makes it painless for the kittens. Considering the tribulations facing ferals, especially the horrible diseases that take away 70%+ before maturity, it is a kindness. We all love kittens, absolutely adore them, but alas, those of us working with street populations have seen enough misery & heartache for a thousand lifetimes. You are truly a good-hearted person for making a difference!
I am sorry that you had the flu. I was down for 2 months with it. My mom got it, too, and she was already vaccinated. I finally had the doctor vaccinate me & voila! I was better by the next day (my vet suggested that might work).
And please ask away! As the old saying goes, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, she's pretty inevitably pregnant, but what catsknowme says is very true.

I suggest you contact these people: TNR - CatRescue 901
I tried to do it on your behalf, but they are all volunteers and there are no phone numbers, so by the time I'd filled in their form and waited, I though it best that you do it. Also the information is good. :)

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello :wave3:
Wow 2 months? You poor thing that must've been hell for you Yeah it's horrible being sick, but luckily it was only me as I got my son and partner vaccinated but kept putting mine off (which was damn stupid ‍♀).
Ooooh okay so that's good, so she may not be pregnant? They wouldn't be mateing if she was desexed would they?
Yes I'm defently going to get her neutered, I agree kittens are cute but Its something I would rather avoid happening. But if it's too late I am willing to do what I can to help aswell.
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it
Laura xx

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I tried to do it on your behalf, but they are all volunteers and there are no phone numbers, so by the time I'd filled in their form and waited, I though it best that you do it. Also the information is good. :)
Oh no so she's most likely pregnant? Shit!
Okay thank you so much for that I really appreciate it, I will contact them asap.
Laura xx

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I just checked out the site, it's a trap neauter and realise, omg thank you so much thank you, you have no idea how much I appreciate this :heartshape:

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
So before I contact that site you sent me I had to talk to my partner as I have been thinking of adopting the 2 semi ferals/strays, and thankfully my partner has agreed. So I have gone to get wormer for them which I'm going to do today, and I plan to take them to the vet for check ups, neauter and microchip plus obviously if this female is pregnant she needs regular treatment (thank god for tax returns next week). I will also be contacting that site today for the other ferals to become neutered.
But my question is, these two cats are quite timmered with people, it took 3 months for them to let me pat them and even now when they hear a noise or any people walk by when we are out the front they get quite nervous. Should I keep them in the house the day/night before so I can pop them into carriers and take them to the vet? And will this traumatise them? Will they loose their trust in me if I do this?
Thanks guys,
Laura xx

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that you are taking the kitties in! I would keep them in so they don't run off on vet day. Plan ahead to put them in the carriers (be sure to line the carriers with puppy pads so they can use the toilet). Immediately cover the carrier so they cannot see out - felines feel safer in a cave. (when I trap ferals, they go berserk until the trap gets covered - then they hunker down and go absolutely quiet. if they meow, that is a sign that they trust humans enough to ask for help & have at least some socialization)
Cats absolutely are in tune to emotions/vibes so be calm,cool - keep your breathing relaxed - no pity, no worry - you are doing this for the best future for them (it is tough, I know, just like getting our kids vaccinated). I am sure that you will get more advice. This is so exciting :yess:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh this is great news!
Keep asking questions here and you will get a wealth of information from people who have done a lot of this.
:bliss:

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow that is fantastic advice thank you so much, okay I will do all that, thank you :heartshape: I have found a local vet that has good prices for the desexing, micro chipping and vaccinations so I'm happy about that too.
You guys have been an aussome help I'm so glad that I found this site.
Thank you so much for your kind words, I figure since they all seem happy hear and the female seems to be very good friends with the white feral so it would be a shame to split them all up and since it took so long for two of them to get comfortable with me it would save them the shock of being moved around and possibly euthanised if not re-homed plus we have the space so it's the most practical idea in my books.

Laura_au

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh this is great news!
Keep asking questions here and you will get a wealth of information from people who have done a lot of this.
:bliss:
Thank you, yeah this site is great. I was reading threw some other posts yesterday and there are just so many amazing people hear, I'm so glad I came accross this page and it's so nice to see so many other people that care aswell, it really helps :)