Possible Cystitis? Any Advice?

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, where will I begin. Yesterday night, 1-18-2018, I noticed my cat, he is male, went to the litter box multiple times within thirty minutes. I was not home all day so I did not know if he had been doing this throughout the day. Today, 1-19-2018. I scheduled a vet office because again he had did this morning.

I brought him in. They said it sounds like Cystitis. He gave me some stuff to acidify his urine. Some pain meds and gave him a shot in his back.

He was only eating dry food, up until today. I gave him some wet food, with extra water and his urine acidify gel.

He is 4 years old and neutered. Today 1-19-2018, after the shot from the vet, he went to pee and did his normal pee and has not been back multiple times since then, no frequent visits like this morning and last night. Since its Friday and the vet isn't open til Monday, he said I have to bring in a urine sample and gave me a bottle to catch some pee in.

I'm doing so. But I'll wait til very late Sunday because I know pee gets old. I read online u can refrigerate for up to 24hours.

He does not strain to pee, nor does he cry to pee. Nor does he pee outside of the litter tray. I told the vet all this. Its just when he has to go, he keeps going back. Like 5-7 times before his bladder is empty. Pee comes out, then he keeps going back and then spurts was coming back. When he is empty he goes back to playing.

He eats normal and drinks. Also went poopi!

Again, I noticed this yesterday. I also was given 8 days of pain meds and he takes the urine acidify for 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any advice?

(Has not done urine analysis yet. Have to bring in sample Monday, or if I cannot collect by Monday I have to bring him in, in the am so they can do it.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Until we have an answer from the vet, it's very hard to give you any real meaningful advice. But since he is urinating again, you'll be fine until Monday! Let us know then what they say, and I'm sure you will get lots of advice on how to make life easier for him! Poor kitty! I'm so relieved that he has such a caring person on his team!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, alright then! And yes, I brought him in soon as I noticed this behavior. I'll just keep watch on him and give him the things they gave me to give. Thank you and I'll keep things updated. Hope everything is fine. *Paws Crossed*

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend that you look into switching to a wet food diet. I am doing a combo of wet/dry for my ferals and am seeing a big improvement in the older ones. I was impressed with the information that I found on catinfo.org, which is written by a vet. Prayers and vibes that your boy makes a complete recovery :vibes::vibes::vibes: susan

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
one cat has wet food in the house. tho its meow mix, I gave him that instead of his Rachael ray dry food. Since then he's went potty twice. I also added water In the food. He hasn't been doing that running to the litter repeatedly at all. And he's just sleeping and cuddling with me like he does. Hopefully the urine analysis come back normal and he just needed more water. Which seems to be doing great thus far.

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You did well and sounds like it is under control. I had to put my cat to sleep a few weeks ago because I discovered the problem too late.

omg... I'm soooooo sorry. :/ But I'm glad your baby doesn't suffer anymore. I heard its hard to catch these things. but maybe why I caught it is cause one cat litter literally sits in the living room. and he goes to that one. so while we watching movies I can clearly be a potty stalker... and I noticed then.

Your kitty was Male or female? I got a boy and I heard the urethra is smaller... so crystals are easier to get stuck.

humanracer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
omg... I'm soooooo sorry. :/ But I'm glad your baby doesn't suffer anymore. I heard its hard to catch these things. but maybe why I caught it is cause one cat litter literally sits in the living room. and he goes to that one. so while we watching movies I can clearly be a potty stalker... and I noticed then.

Your kitty was Male or female? I got a boy and I heard the urethra is smaller... so crystals are easier to get stuck.
Yeah mine was a neutered boy. Not much you can do but avoid stress, and try and have the cat drink water. We put extra water in the wet food.

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah mine was a neutered boy. Not much you can do but avoid stress, and try and have the cat drink water. We put extra water in the wet food.

yes. I'm going to do that and the night before try to get a urine sample... and refridge it...

Mines neutered male as well. You have more kit kits? Doing the extra watering with?

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Since Vet visit, and Home Care, Thor has not been doing the reoccurring box trips.

I have given him wet food since then and I have given him extra water, throughout the day. Mixed with a small amount of baby food for taste.

Since the water intake, he pees more but he pees without the constant visiting anymore.

Trying to keep him hydrated. I also noticed the bought of cystitis he got was maybe due to not having enough water.

He haven't really visited the water bowl and I noticed he may not have been the days he was visiting the litter multiple times...
Also, I was feeding him only dry food. So I'm guessing this was due to dehydration...

He isn't stressed, never showed signs and he has two litter mates here with him. (His sisters) and no hormonal problems. He's just been normal. Like the others.

He has even playing. Its like the condition went poof!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: Great to read that Thor is doing well! You have taken back for him these precious days that would have been stolen away, but for your devoted care including obtaining good veterinary care :cheerleader:

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yess: Great to read that Thor is doing well! You have taken back for him these precious days that would have been stolen away, but for your devoted care including obtaining good veterinary care :cheerleader:

Haha thank you. Cute stickies. I have urine analysis Monday, in which I have to bring in a sample. I'll just stalk him until he pee and catch it and rush it in. Possibly make him drink the night before and catch it after morning breakfast.

Vet gave me Methigel which I have to give 1/2 teaspoon for 3 weeks, once a day. Is that too much?

Haven't don't urine analysis yet but vet said we can treat him for it. Im guessing to not wait, and risk something happening.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am unfamiliar with the Methigel but hopefully another member will show up with more knowledge. It sounds like your vet is proactive - I like that. I have never done a urine catch on a cat either. I wussie out and pay for sedation for a clean catch.

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When he pees he won't budge, so its easy to slip the cup underneath him. I have been practicing with little tops. Hahaha. I know, its weird. But its kinda easy, since cats pee is like a fine stream. He pees at breakfast since he sleeps all night. I have been noticing this the past few days. I can catch and run it into the vet which is 5 mins from me by car.

I asked the vet does he need a food change? But he said he doesn't know yet. Seemingly, he's doing great thus far. So he may not need one. So cross the paws!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:I LOVE,LOVE, LOVE socializing with cat parents and cat guardians! Now I am tempted to "catch cat pee" just to have the skill mastered, should I ever need it. In what other forum would I dare to confess that!

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha. Its really easy.

Vet told me if I can't get pee over the weekend then bring him in first thing tomorrow morning, but Thor usually pees around 9 am. He said bring him between 7:30-8:00 and they'll do it. Giving fluids so that he pees. Said it takes few hours.

But I think I'll wait til 9 and collect it myself, instead of bringing him in and stressing him. Just have to give him extra water early. And run it in soon as I get it.:crazy:

humanracer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most of the time we aren't sure what causes this condition. It could be due to not enough water. The important thing is to spot the warning signs and just do all you can to prevent it, which is what you are doing very well.

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Turned in his Urine at 7:30 this morning. They called to let me know, Thor is perfectly fine. Just to finish up the medicine I was given. No crystals in urine, nothing.

Said his Urine PH was slightly high, not severely, so to keep taking the acidifyer once a day (For 3weeks) til done. He has a refill on it anyway.

Guess he doesn't need a diet change.

SuperPaws12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha. Thank you. I know some people look at animals like they are their babies. I call my two kitties my best friends... because they give me life. And they're BFF. :purr: I am still going to keep him on an all soft food diet and add extra water. He pees a bit more. About 4 times. He likes Fancy Feast a lot, tho I have to admit, he hates his teefyteets getting brushed. And I heard soft foods kill teefyteets faster than crunchy. :angrywoman: