Possible colours

Jadetempest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this is the right forum to post in as I have no intentions of breeding my cats(both are desexed) but I am just curious about cat genetics, particularly colour point. What colour kittens would be possible if my female seal point had kittens with my male blue and white tabby. I know my males parents both carried colour point as most of the kittens in his litter were colour points and the mother of my female was a really unique chocolate colour(last picture) so does this have any impact on possible coat colours?
IMG_20210427_143029_198.jpg
IMG_20210502_113926_077.jpg
125031628_3235776293199589_2740454694349178358_n.jpg

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What beautiful kitties! Unfortunately, I have no clue about genetics. A stray pregnant torti we were feeding had birth elsewhere and then brought her kittens to our house once. They were so cute, and every one a different color. The most interesting was that she had one who looked Siamese with lilac points. We had intended to keep them all and have them spayed/neutered, but DH picked up the black kitten. Big mistake. Mom got upset and took the kittens away. We think we saw the black kitten again. I have no idea where the kittens ended up and it makes me sad. They were only about three weeks old when she brought them and we were so sure they would stay.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma with point baby and a black adult? nursing. She is that darkish its fully possible she is really a combo of siamese and burmese point genes. These points do darken up quickly, already as kittens. these cats are seldom good blue eyes, as burmese point dont carry blue eyes. But exceptions occur, especielly if they are bred to have blue eyes. The so called Thai cats, a variant of old type siameses, is an example for them...

OK, re your question: Most will be pointed, and either seal or lynx. Half will have white spots.

I dont want to analyse too much, Im not knowleable on heredics of brown; a quick googling tells me its more complicated than most of the other colors....

But lutece lutece is knowleable in this, as in much else. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadetempest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Momma with point baby and a black adult? nursing. She is that darkish its fully possible she is really a combo of siamese and burmese point genes. These points do darken up quickly, already as kittens. these cats are seldom good blue eyes, as burmese point dont carry blue eyes. But exceptions occur, especielly if they are bred to have blue eyes. The so called Thai cats, a variant of old type siameses, is an example for them...

OK, re your question: Most will be pointed, and either seal or lynx. Half will have white spots.

I dont want to analyse too much, Im not knowleable on heredics of brown; a quick googling tells me its more complicated than most of the other colors....

But lutece lutece is knowleable in this, as in much else. :)
The brown mother isn't my cat so it's the only picture I have of her,she is a Burmese ragdoll cross, the black kitten nursing was from a previous litter but has the same mother and father as my pointed cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The brown mother isn't my cat so it's the only picture I have of her,she is a Burmese ragdoll cross, the black kitten nursing was from a previous litter but has the same mother and father as my pointed cat
Tx! so my guesses were correct,

she is a combo of the siamese and burmese type... Thus thus, you can get such combos too in your hypothethical litter.

And yeah, I didnt imagine the black kitten was much bigger, more or less adult.

Tx for helping up my sense of mental sanity. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadetempest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah unfortunately it's just a hypothetical litter. I couldn't bare anything happening to my baby so had her desexed

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What colour kittens would be possible if my female seal point had kittens with my male blue and white tabby. I know my males parents both carried colour point as most of the kittens in his litter were colour points
Ok, you want to know what kittens would be possible in a theoretical mating of female seal point to male blue and white tabby.

If the parents do not carry any more recessive genes, the kittens would all be:
  • brown (black-based) tabby, or brown tabby and white
Depending on what recessive genes the parents carry, you could also possibly get:
  • black, or black and white, if dad carries solid (non-tabby)
  • blue tabby, or blue tabby and white, if mom carries dilute (blue)
  • solid blue, or blue and white, if dad carries solid AND mom carries dilute
  • pointed versions of any of the above colors, if dad carries colorpoint
The blue tabby male's pointed siblings tell us that his parents carried colorpoint, which gives him a 2 in 3 chance of being a colorpoint carrier, but we don't know for sure if he is a carrier or not.

The seal point female's mom appears to be seal mink in color (one copy of "Siamese" colorpoint and one copy of "Burmese" sepia), but your seal point female herself can't carry the sepia gene (or else she would be mink herself). So the sepia gene responsible for the grandmother's brown color cannot be passed on to the seal point female's kittens.