Possible Blood in Vomit

clannark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, my cat (male, 1 year and a half) threw up three times earlier. The first time was his dinner, second was bile, and the third time we noticed red spots in it. I plan on calling his vet first thing in the morning, but is this more urgent? He ate some more food and continued playing after all of this. He hasn’t thrown up in 3 hours. I’m really trying to avoid an emergency vet but I’ll do whatever it takes.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He ate some more food and continued playing after all of this. He hasn’t thrown up in 3 hours. I’m really trying to avoid an emergency vet but I’ll do whatever it takes.
Something could have irritated his system and therefore the throwing up. Usually
when my boy throw up, I’ll inspect the vomitus and try to see what’s in it and most of the time I find hairball and that’s one of the reasons of throwing up and he does this every few days.

As long as you cat is eating again and playing, I would not worry that much.

When a cat throw up, lots of energy is used and chances of seeing blood is quite common but I’ll take note of it and keep an observation and if vomiting with blood still persist, get your cat to the vet for a check.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that sometimes has blood in his vomit after eating grass. if they throw up a lot if can cause some bleeding. I don't worry too much now when i see it as an occasional thing in my otherwise normal cat. the caveat here is that it's happened and we've gone to the vet for it and now I recognize when it fits a pattern. if this is a new thing with your kitty I wouldn't ask advice here about it. I'd call the emergency clinic and describe what is going on to them and ask their opinion if it could be an emergency or not.