Poppy - Send Her Sweet Thoughts

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am posting here instead of the health thread because there is no question involved in this post. Poppy, 12 and a half, was diagnosed with lung cancer in April. We have been treating her with anti inflammatory shots and so far it has helped - but I knew it was only buying time. I believe we are reaching the end of that borrowed time as I am seeing her starting to fail. She is no longer playing or coming downstairs to eat. I take her food when I feed another cat who is to stubborn to come downstairs (that one is healthy, just prefers my room). I know I will be faced with that heart breaking decision sooner rather than later. I will not let her suffer, but I am not ready to give up my sweet golden girl. What we want is not what is important though - only she is important. Her next vet visit is soon and I am afraid it will be her last. Please keep her i your thoughts!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, and send a special one for Poppy. It takes a lot of strength to go through what you are right now, let your heart be your guide. I'm so happy you have had that 4 months of time with her. I always pray that every one of our little ones will go peacefully at home in their sleep when it is their time, but it seldom happens. Remember she would never want you to be so sad because of her, she loves you too much. Accept her legacy of love and what she brought to your life, her new path will always not be far from your own. Give her a kiss from me, and may God bless you for your caring heart.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lynda - I can't muster the words to say it in the fashion that di and bob di and bob just did, but I'll surely add Poppy to my Prayers as well. She's such a beautiful little girl, and this is simply heartbreaking to hear. I'm so sorry.

:(

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a heart breaking decision that I've had to make a few times but I know you will make the right one at the right time because of your deep love for her.
We had a Persian called Bomber and a moggie called Poppy so your post has jogged some fond memories in me.
My wife, daughter and I are very sad for you because we know how it feels and we will keep you and your darling golden Poppy in our thoughts.

Cat Sidhe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I´m so sorry to hear about your Poppy. She looks so lovely in the pics you posted, such an amazing cat. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If my work schedule had been normal on Wednesday I would have probably taken Poppy in to be put to sleep. She was not eating and rarely getting off my bed. My boss did let me leave a few hours early after I told him I was afraid I would find her already gone when I got home. In desperation I tried a treat made by Fancy Feast, a single serve soft chicken meat treat, when I got home. She ATE it! I had my husband get some baby food to try. She ate that! She is now back to coming downstairs and eating with the other cats, washing and sleeping on my pillow. While I know it is only temporary, I have my girl still. A friend that is a vet tech told me it was probably because of the weather we were having - it has been rather nasty and very humid. She said it probably made breathing difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update on Poppy. I had her in to see the vet in October and he said it would only be a matter of a few weeks. It is now December and she is still playing, eating and snuggling with me like nothing is wrong. In fact, just a few minutes ago I heard her playing with her favorite toy upstairs. We saw another vet when she went for her shot in November. She told me that Poppy just refuses the diagnosis. She truly is my miracle girl!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You go, Poppy! It is wonderful that you have this time with her, just love her and know she will always be with you, love is eternal. I pray the good Lord will bless her and you with more time, may you both keep these loving memories of happy times for an eternity.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the update. :clapcat: Enjoy every sweet moment you have with her. :catrub:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't see this thread until today, so it is wonderful to see that it's been 3 months since you first posted and 8 since the diagnosis, and that Poppy is defying the odds and still enjoying life. :catlove: I guess it's true when they say cats hide their discomfort. Or perhaps, she has no discomfort, as she hasn't accepted the diagnosis. ;)

Sending vibes for many, many more months of happy and healthy days for Poppy. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Any chance you could post a picture of your miracle girl. :camera:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a gorgeous, adorable fluff-ball. Stay healthy sweet girl. :petcat: