Poor Sissycat can't stay warm...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her igloo has gone cold inside.

Apparently, the rice sock I was placing in there each night to keep her warm (a crew sock filled with dried rice, tied with a knot, then microwaved for 2-3 minutes to heat it up) smelled yummy to some local wild creatures, who stole two socks out of her igloo two nights in a row. They simply vanished!

Don't know what to use in place of rice in a sock to get the same effect, any suggestions?

It is snowing out at the moment and has been cold and nasty all day. When I got home this afternoon, Sissy actually jumped into the house as I was walking into the front door!

Max and Baby ran to confront her which stressed her out immediately, so I picked her up and brought her back down into my utility room and shut her in. I gave her food and water, added about 1/3 of the bottle of cat attract that I bought to the litter box still in the tub, then put a blanket down on the floor for her to lie upon.

I'm just going to leave her there overnight and keep her away from the others. Hopefully she'll be ok and will use the litter box instead of peeing on the floor.

I still need to come up with a replacement solution for the rice sock. Don't want to be encouraging the local fauna to come live in Sissy's igloo!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about something like HotHands? http://www.heatmax.com/HotHands/index.htm

They last about 8 hours per little bag, and come in packages of four or eight, I forget which. I had some from my trip to MN, and tried using them for Cally when she was living outside - unfortunately, she didn't like using the kennel I had for her.

I don't remember them being too terribly pricey, but I could see you going through them rather fast if you're going to do one a day. Wal-mart has them at about 30 dollars for 40 pairs, so that's 80 handwarmers at less than 50 cents a piece. They're individually wrapped, so they'd last awhile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

What about a Snuggle Safe: http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imp.../dp/B00008AJH9

That's what I use in my outdoor cat's shelter.
That is PURRFECT!
Thank you so much, I just ordered one!

Meanwhile, Sissy spends tonight in my utility room. She got out for a while, hid under my bed and pooped there because Max was terrorizing her. Poor girl. When I realized what had happened, I cleaned it up, shooed Max away, and she came belly crawling into my arms, still growling over her shoulder.

I don't think she'll ever be able to blend in with the indoor crew.
If she was an only cat she might be ok, but then again, she still won't use the litterbox despite the cat attract I LIBERALLY mixed into the litter.

Oh well, I love her anyway and will still do the best I can to care for her, even if she's always an outdoor kitty.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You got two excellent suggestions.

As to your original questions, cheap, preferably free, but working.

I guess sand (or even clay litter) should work.

Good luck!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you using clay litter? If she's been outside awhile, she may not realize that it's for doing her business. (She used to soft dirt). Maybe a box with sand (Like Stephanz said) or some soft dirt. Use the cat attract at first and she'll eventually "get it." She's probably as unhappy about pooing on the floor as you are. Cats want to bury their waste to hide their tracks.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Are you using clay litter? If she's been outside awhile, she may not realize that it's for doing her business. (She used to soft dirt). Maybe a box with sand (Like Stephanz said) or some soft dirt. Use the cat attract at first and she'll eventually "get it." She's probably as unhappy about pooing on the floor as you are. Cats want to bury their waste to hide their tracks.
I have 5 cats inside and consider myself to be very knowledgable about cats in general after several years of being a TCS member.
Was only looking for advice on keeping her warm outside, and I did receive it. (Thank you again, Elicon.
)

Sissy pooed on the floor due to fear, not because that's where she chose to eliminate. I cleaned it up while telling her that it's ok, and that I didn't blame her one bit, gathered her into my arms and gave her lovies as I brought her back into the other room.

No, I use World's Best mixed with chicken feed. The "dirt" where I live is red clay, and I have seen her burying her waste in leaves rather than dirt. Thinking of putting a layer of leaves over the top of the cat litter in the box next time.

It appears she did not use the box at all despite the heavy layer of cat attract, which lots of folks swear by. However, she also did NOT urinate or poop anywhere in my utility room. She's a very good little girl, just not accustomed to being inside, and very accustomed to having to battle for territory.

I am waiting for the arrival of the Snugglesafe disc - very glad to know that I won't have to worry about her getting cold at night, or that raccoons or opossums are moving into her igloo!

She's back outside today, doesn't want to come back in although she's not liking the snow on her paws.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Are you using clay litter? If she's been outside awhile, she may not realize that it's for doing her business. (She used to soft dirt). Maybe a box with sand (Like Stephanz said) or some soft dirt.
Ah, there WAS also an issue an issue of pooping at wrong place...

Actually, my advice wasnt necessary about the pooping /peeing - although it is useful there too. But I was commenting about what to put into the sock instead of rice "doing the duties of a rice-heater".
As there is some hungry creature stealing the rice, but sand would be quite undigestioneable and thus undesirable. Yet not poisonous if our ravening hungry secret friend really do tries it out.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Ah, there WAS also an issue an issue of pooping at wrong place...

Actually, my advice wasnt necessary about the pooping /peeing - although it is useful there too. But I was commenting about what to put into the sock instead of rice "doing the duties of a rice-heater".
As there is some hungry creature stealing the rice, but sand would be quite undigestioneable and thus undesirable. Yet not poisonous if our ravening hungry secret friend really do tries it out.
I apologize for misunderstanding your advice. I did think you meant in the litterbox.

I was unaware that you can safely microwave sand?
I am sure it wouldn't have the same lovely smell as warm rice does.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I was unaware that you can safely microwave sand?
I am sure it wouldn't have the same lovely smell as warm rice does.
Why not? Did you have ever heard a contrindicium??

Yes, it will not smell as nice as warm rice. This is prob why humans do prefer warm rice... If it bothers you, do have a drop or two of some nice lavender-preparate.... Cats do like lavender smell.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had to think about this for awhile before I answered. I was somewhat hurt by your response - you did realize I was only trying to be helpful?

I've seen this attitude here a lot and it's awfully troublesome. But I've also seen the people who are receptive - even if they consider themselves to be experts.

I genuinely hope Sissy does well and learns to use the box - as I have taught my six former ferals to do - using dirt at first and then slowly introducing them to regular litter.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geez Betsy, I thought Max was pretty friendly with Sissycat at first. Too bad he's had a change of heart.

I know you're getting the disk for her. If that doesn't work out, another idea is to drill a small hole in the backside of the igloo to fish the power cord through for one of those hang-on type lamps with the protective wire cover that are used when you're working under the hood of your car. It's got sort of a handle with an on/off switch and a hook to hang it. Put a 60 or 75 watt bulb in it and hang it inside the igloo.
Then secure a flap of some sort to the front of the igloo so the heat stays in, but she can come and go easily.

During warmer days, you could just unplug the light to save electricity.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use snugglesafe discs, although they say 8 hours they are often still warm after 12 hours, we use them for orphaned kittens / puppies at the shelter too.

I dont know if you ordered a cover but they are quite hot to the touch when you first heat them so I always wrap mine in a towel before giving it to an animal

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would love to hear how the disk works out...just bought one for Ginger today as the rice sock just wasn't staying warm long enough for her.

Leslie

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Geez Betsy, I thought Max was pretty friendly with Sissycat at first. Too bad he's had a change of heart.
Well, he tried to make friends with her, but she refused to accept that he's the King here, so they had a couple of fairly serious altercations, and I guess he won. He now stalks her when she's in the house, and she's just plain afraid of him.

Thanks for the alternative tip. I'm hoping the Snugglesafe does its thing. As long as it stays warm for most of the night, I think it'll do the trick.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We use snugglesafe discs, although they say 8 hours they are often still warm after 12 hours, we use them for orphaned kittens / puppies at the shelter too.

I dont know if you ordered a cover but they are quite hot to the touch when you first heat them so I always wrap mine in a towel before giving it to an animal
Supposedly it comes with a cover, but I'll tuck it in a towel if it doesn't. Sissy also has two thermal bed mats in the igloo, that have the heat reflective material on the inside, so placing the sock/disc on one of those I think helps out as well. I also like the fact that the igloo is supposed to be built to retain warm air - at least the snow igloos are!

Sissy likes her shelter very much (thanks again, Nial!) She started out by staying near the doorway, but now she retreats and sleeps deep inside it away from the door. I keep a small blankie by the door so she has some additional sheltering from wind.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had to think about this for awhile before I answered. I was somewhat hurt by your response - you did realize I was only trying to be helpful?

I've seen this attitude here a lot and it's awfully troublesome. But I've also seen the people who are receptive - even if they consider themselves to be experts.

I genuinely hope Sissy does well and learns to use the box - as I have taught my six former ferals to do - using dirt at first and then slowly introducing them to regular litter.
I did not mean to hurt your feelings at all. I tend to speak plainly, in general. Sissy does NOT want to live inside, so I am truly not that concerned about the litterbox situation. I will bring her inside on occasion, especially if it is storming outside and she wants to come in, but I'm not going to force her as it only stresses her out.

I do plan to gather some leaves and try that on top of the litter box, seeing as she tends to bury her waste outside in piles of leaves/pine needles rather than the hard, red clay ground.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a snugglesafe and it's fantastic. I would agree, they stay warm for a long, long time but can be hot to start with. Wrapping it in a towel is a great idea. Addie has a wigwam type bed and we put hers under the cushion that comes with it.

We have also used the snugglesafe to keep warm a couple of baby chicks that the hens were ignoring at first - it worked beautifully. I also stuck it down the back of my jumper when I jarred my neck. It was better than any heat wrap or ice treatment - although I did look a bit odd with the disk down my jumper

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope its helping Sissy!

Ginger loves hers, once she figured out that it would keep her warm that is!

I understand not bringing her in. I have the opposite issue with Ginger, she wants to live inside, it just isn't always an option. 3 cats is our max, and nobody else wanted her. She will get the best we can offer as an outside cat!

Leslie