Pooping

Yungpook19xx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat has been pooping outside the litter box. I clean the litter boxes every single day. I have 3 different litter boxes so it’s not that I don’t have enough. She will go pee in the litter box, but then she gets right out and will go poop right on the floor. Why is she doing this behavior? Any ideas?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's litter box issues that brought you here.

How long has this been going on? How old is your cat? Is the poop normal formed? Or either dry (constipated) or diarrhea? Are there any other cats in the home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yungpook19xx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and Thank you! It’s been going on about 3 months. I have 5 other fur babies at home. My kitty that is doing this is 6 years old. The poop is normal.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 3 different litter boxes so it’s not that I don’t have enough.
I have 5 other fur babies at home.
Believe it or not, with 6 cats, the "rule" would suggest that you have 7 litter boxes: one per cat, plus one.

So my first suggestion, assuming she's been to the vet to rule out any medical issue, would be to put out at least one more litter box and see if it helps. You also want to ensure all the litter boxes aren't all in the same room/area, in case there's any litter box stalking going on from one of the other cats.

Here's a couple TCS articles with more info:

How Many Litterboxes Should You Have? | TheCatSite
Litter Box Location Secrets | TheCatSite