Pooping Outside Litter Box

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so I noticed few times my cat pooping outside litter box but sometimes litter box sand was less so I thought because of that few days ago she was peeing and pooping outside but I change the litter box and put fresh sands she stopped peeing outside she pee inside but still poop outside just now i saw her pooping outside litter box but it was clean i clean it probably i change the litter brand because petshop near me didn’t have that one i have 5 cats and 2 litter box she use to poop outside sometimes if she didn’t feel it’s clean but now it’s clean and new litter should i change the brand or take her to vet

Also she doesn’t cover her pee she use to do it before is it because of the smell of litter she doesn’t wants on her paws ?? I messaged my vet waiting for hes reply

Last edited by a moderator:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She may very well not like the change in litter brands. Can you get the old brand somewhere else, for example online?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She may very well not like the change in litter brands. Can you get the old brand somewhere else, for example online?
I will do that or i will get one without smell

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all 5 cats have access to just 2 litter boxes, there is a good chance that she might be one of those cats who just doesn't like the idea of having so much pee/poop from other cats in the litter box. There are also cats that don't want to use the same litter box for pooping that they use for peeing.

How did you clean the areas where she was pooping? If you didn't get rid of her scent there, it could encourage her to pee and poop again in those same places. It could also encourage the other cats to do the same, by the way.

You say you have 5 cats and only 2 litter boxes? The rule of thumb is 1 box per cat plus one - so, that would mean ideally you should have 6. Perhaps, I misunderstood...

Also, if this is an older cat and this is pretty new behavior - after you go back to the litter she was using before this problem occurred - a vet visit might be in order to make sure she doesn't have an infection or some other issue going on.