Pooping On Floor

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the only pic I have of her so far because she doesn't like to sit still for too long. And when she does sit still she gives me this stink face :lol:
Love those ears!!

When she goes on the floor check out her litter box? was there something in there? My guy would punish me when the box was not clean; so it usually happened when I wasn't home to clean it right away. I had to buy 3 extra litter boxes so at least one was always clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first time the litter box was completely clean, no pee or poop in it. The second and third time she had peed in the litter box but hadn't pooped. I did set up an extra litter box outside the room she was pooping in last night and I thought it solved the issue because she used that litter box overnight. However, this afternoon we were right back to square one, this time she pooped in the bathtub (thankful it wasn't on carpet or a shoe this time). Her poop also seems to be getting softer everyday and I've been noticing a lot of hair showing up in it as well. If I understand correctly, fur in poop is normal but it can also point to an intestinal blockage. Hopefully that's not the case as I wasn't able to get an appointment until later this week. I'm contemplating contacting a few different vets tomorrow to see if they have earlier appointments.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sound more like something she is doing to tell you she doesn't feel well especially with it getting softer. Taking he to a vet sounds like a good idea.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately my vet finally got back to me today and they are completely booked for the next week and a half. Tomorrow I will be calling around to other vets to see if I can get something earlier. In the meantime I've been giving her anti-diarrheal medicine that will hopefully help with her tummy. I've also found that moving her litter boxes to a new location every day has helped solve the pooping outside the box issue for now. She did act a little more sleepy than she usually does but bounced right back later in the evening and we played for a solid 15 minutes, which is longer than she's played with me when she felt fine. Hopefully
things continue to get better! I'm wondering if she had some kind of stomach bug (If cats even get them) or maybe she ate something that didn't agree with her while she was counter surfing and it just seemed like something worse because of her already sensitive stomach. Either way a vet visit will be made!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A vet visit is always a good idea, especially after adopting a new cat, or if you sense something is off with them. Glad to hear she's playing more. That's definitely a good thing!

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok quick update! Her vet appointment was today and they are doing fecal and urine testing to rule out a parisit or a UTI, if she comes up clear for both the next step is checking her diet for anything that may be triggering a digestive upset. It seems that the vet was leaning towards a food allergy and not a UTI but we both agreed ruling that out first was the best way to go. Hopefully I will know more in a few days and will be able to share some more info with you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I'm glad your vet seems interested in finding a cause for this behaviour. Good luck.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! So a lot has happened since the last update. Her fecal sample came back negative to parasites and I'm still waiting to hear back about the urine test. The vet suggested putting her in 'confinement' for a week to retrain her to use the litter box. The entire time she was confined, there were no accidents! Today is her first day out and she's only allowed in my bedroom and the hallway, no access to living room, kitchen, bathroom, etc. I also got her an attracting litter which definitely seems to be doing its job! I just sprinkled that in with her regular litter and just that small amount had her sniffing around and just sitting in the litter box :lol: after awhile she got back in and used it so hopefully it's working! My plan is to slowly allow her into different areas of the house under supervision but she is only allowed to sleep in my room. The vet also mentioned Prozac if everything with her urine is clean. She seems to think it might be stressful for her to be alone for any amount of time and I guess it's supposed to help with anxiety. Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyway, sorry for the long update but I have to say, this is a way less stressed household and I'm glad I haven't had any messes to clean up the past week ( yet). I also switched her completely over to Rachel Ray's nutrish which is grain free and good for sensitive stomachs. That seems to be working really well! Thank you!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's a good update. Fingers and toes crossed that things continue as it is. :crossfingers:

About the Prozac, I have seen members here who have used it for various reasons. Here's the threads a search found. Maybe one of them will be helpful. If not, you can always start another thread, with Prozac in the title, so it's more likely members who've used it will see the thread and reply.

Search Results for Query: prozac

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your help!

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
these folks are right on stressors
my cat always has had a love hate relationship with the lady of the house.
whenever the baby kitty feels slighted by her she will poop directly into 1 of her shoes or boots, sometimes she will pee on her coat or favorite shirt n i dont know the baby kitty knows thats her favorite shirt but she knows.
the baby kitty will run behind me defiantly whipping her tail staring at her lol

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's so funny that you mentioned that! A few days before she started pooping on the floor, my sister yelled at her for getting on top of the garbage can. And after that she was pooping only in my sister's room, in three pairs of her shoes, and right under where her bathrobe was hanging. I thought it was crazy to think the cat was targeting her but now that you said your cat targets a specific person, I'm wondering if that's what was going on! After we closed that room off, she continued pooping in other areas, and even though she wasn't targeting sister's things in particular, my cat probably knew she wasn't happy about it. I wonder if she was being spiteful :lol:

canucksfan1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it could be cuz my baby Taz is a very spiteful kitty lol the lady of the house told me she the baby hates her too many times
i hope for your babies sake its just cat fury n not health issues eh

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So after a week of no issues I come home to a not so nice surprise in the corner of my room. Extremely frustrating because she was doing so well and was allowed to come into the main living area and now we're back to square one. However, I found something that might explain a few of the events. While I do think her pooping on my sister's things may have been spiteful, I think the times she went in other areas was because she did something she knew she shouldn't do. For example, Today I noticed she had gotten into the garbage that was in my room. Normally there isn't anything but paper in there but this time around, I had emptied my hedgehogs food into it and just completely forgot to empty it before leaving the house. I'm wondering if maybe she knew she wasn't supposed to get in the garbage and so when she had to poop, she did so in the corner of the room, almost like she was trying to hide it. One of the other times, she had went in the bathtub and that day I noticed that she had some how gotten into a sealed box of slim Jim's. Could she possibly be pooping in "hidden" areas when she knows she did something she shouldn't do? I really do try to keep any and all food out of reach but the garbage is a little harder to stop her from getting into. It does have a lid but eventually she figures out how to get in it. She's even opened my bedroom door a few times and I now have to stack totes in front of the door. It seems like every method I use to try and keep food away or keep her off the counters, she figures it out in a few days and then it doesn't work anymore.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry to read about the setback. :( Interesting, though, the possible connection between the "incidents" and when she does something wrong. :headscratch:

With my Ruby, she only has accidents when her digestive system is upset.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be that too because I'm sure eating slim Jim's didn't make her feel too great and the hedgehogs food is just really cheap cat food which she is sensitive to. Could be a combination of both things, I'm not sure. But I removed all things she might find tasty so I'm hoping that over the next few days there aren't any issues and then I'll know that either her stomach was upset by what she was eating or she was trying to hide the fact she did something she want supposed to. I also have to pick her Prozac prescription up tomorrow so hopefully I'll notice a difference after she starts that.🤞

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today was her first day on Prozac, I'm not sure if it takes a while for side effects to show up but so far everything seems normal! No more accidents and I let her back in the main living area and so far she's been well behaved. Hopefully things will continue to go well!