Pooping On Floor

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I adopted a 3 year old cat about a month ago and up until 3 days ago I had absolutely no bathroom issues with her. In fact, she's one of the cleanest cats I know and won't go to the bathroom unless her box of clean so it gets scooped 3 times a day. I've seen a lot of people suggesting a uti but she still poops and pees in the litter box, she just leaves a present for me once a day. I was gone over night a few days ago and as soon as I got back this started happening. Could she be acting out because I was gone? I have her confined to rooms without carpet and I feel so bad but I don't want her pooping on the carpet or couch. Thanks in advance!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Don't know what her background was, but even at 3 and only having her for a month, being away from her like that could have unsettled her. Or, being gone overnight disrupted her 'pristine' litter box conditions?

Is she pooping in the same general area? The smell might not be eradicated and that could cause her to use that same area again and again. Get some enzymatic cleaners to thoroughly clean the area. Also, try setting up a second litter box for her in a different location, introduce her to it, and see if that helps.

If you work, I understand you placing her in a single room while you are gone, but I would let her out while you are there and just keep a close eye on her.
A present a day might actually correlate to after you leave the house, because she is unsure if you will leave her overnight again.

Dote on her extra amounts, and even reward her when she uses the litter box - but only actually when you see her do it. See if it doesn't settle down - after you implement the above recommended changes - once a few more days have passed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Do you have any suggestions for cleaners you like using? And I only have her confined when I'm not home, she's free to roam around with me keeping a close eye on her when I am. She has pooped twice in the same spot and has peed in a few different places. I'll try putting a litter box in those areas and see if that helps. Thanks again!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For carpet, I have used "The Equalizer" and found it be very successful in removing any odor. It can work on un-washable fabrics as well. I think you would have to get it online - Amazon among others sell it. Some vets carry it as well. It doesn't have to saturate the fabric, so less drying time - which I like.

I didn't realize she was peeing outside the box as well, and in different places. That would point to a possible UTI - much more so than the pooping issue. Stress can bring on UTI related symptoms, so you probably should consider having her checked with an urinalysis/urine culture as well.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She only started the peeing today and did it twice. I did make an appointment for next week in case it continues and is something health related instead of a behavioral issue. Thank you for your help!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's a litter box issue that brought you here, though.

How are things today? If she's still peeing outside the litter box, especially if there's a lot of tiny spots, or tiny clumps if she uses the litter box, that would definitely point to a UTI and should be addressed as soon as possible.

It's possibly she stressed from being alone while you were away. Stress can bring on UTI's as well as litter box issues.

Here's some TCS articles with some more info:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet | TheCatSite
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping | TheCatSite
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory | TheCatSite

Is Your Cat Stressed Out? | TheCatSite
You, Your Cat And Stress | TheCatSite
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist | TheCatSite
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats | TheCatSite

Good luck. Please keep us posted on things.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There haven't been any issues today. I did look at the list of stressors and there are a couple that could potentially be the cause aside for me being gone, not enough play time, being punished, and me being stressed. For play time, I was told she loves playing and I bought a bunch of different toys for her like dancer toys, catnip, and puzzle toys. however since she got here she just hasn't been interested in playing at all. I try to interact with her a few times a day with different types of toys and she might swat at something a few times but then just completely loses interest. As for punishment, she likes to counter surf and when she gets up on the kitchen table or counters I clap my hands once and say " No, down!" And of course, her being on surfaces where food is prepared and worrying about her pooping or peeing on the floor has me stressed out which I'm sure isn't helping the situation.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've only had her a month, right. Do you know her history? Has she been to the vet since you adopted her?

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She went to the vet about a week and a half before I picked her up to be spayed and have a wellness check up but hasn't been since I got her. I wanted to wait until she had calmed down from the road trip home and until she was comfortable with me before bringing her to my vet. I know that she was a retired breeding cat, purebred Abyssinian, and has a sensitive tummy which she is on special food for. She is still having soft poop but I don't think the two issues are related because she was a clean cat before coming home with me up until the past few days.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick update. I woke up to not one, but three piles of poop on my closet. Is there any way that she is marking her territory?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm... is it soft, diarrhea like? Is she pooping in the litter box at all? My Ruby has a sensitive digestive system, and has accidents from time to time, even though she uses the litter box.

How is she otherwise? Eating and sleeping normally?

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes it is softer than it should be, I was told it has always been soft because of her sensitivities. But she eats normally and she drinks a lot of water. She also poops in the litter box as well which is why I don't think it's a health problem like a UTI. She seems to be targeting a specific room, which of course is a room I can't put a litter box in ( it's my sister's room and she refuses to have a litter box in there). She has to physically Walk past two litter boxes, both of which she uses every day,to get to the room she's been pooping in.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can your sister keep her bedroom door closed for a while, to at least keep the accidents out of her room.

Also, have you looked into changing your girl's food to something else? When I first adopted Ruby, she always had soft stools. Eventually I talked to my vet about it, and we switched her to a hypo-allergenic duck based canned food. Literally, Ruby's stool was normal the next time she pooped.

That was 5+ years ago, and she's started having some issues again lately. But for several years the food change helped a lot. So maybe your girl's special food isn't working anymore. Here's a TCS article with some info on Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade) | TheCatSite that might be helpful.

However, since you've only had her a month, it might be just a coincidence that this started while/after you were away. Ruby goes through weeks with no issues, and then for no apparent reason, while eating the exact same food, will have soft stools and accidents around the house. It's frustrating, I know, and unfortunately a lot of cats seems to have sensitive digestive systems these days. :sigh:

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her door is closed but it doesn't latch tight so if the kitty pushes against it hard enough it will open up. And I have been researching different foods but have been worried about making a switch to something that might make her feel worse. Should I be looking for a grain free option or a food specific to sensitive stomachs? Or will my vet be able to tell me which would work better for her? Right now she is on what was recommended to me when I got her, Purina focus sensitive stomach dry food. Would a wet food be easier to digest compared to dry food?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends what her system is sensitive to. With Ruby, I think it's chicken, which is why changing to duck made an immediate difference.

Changing foods should be normally done slowly, but my vet suggested changing Ruby's food right away, and luckily for us it made an immediate difference.

Checking with your vet is always a good idea. He/She might suggest a novel protein, such as duck or rabbit, etc. Something her system has never had before.

But you also might want to check with the vet first, and see if he/she recommends having your cat's stool checked, to ensure she doesn't have worms or something. Yeah, gross, I know. :running:

If you think this may be stress caused from when you were away, you could look into trying Feliway or calming treats/collars. I've never used either, and some members find they do nothing, while others have found the help. So something else to think about.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm starting to think it isn't from me leaving and something else, wether it's a health problem, a food problem or a dietary problem. Either way, hopefully our vet visit next week will help solve the problem. Thank you for your help! I have a lot of great questions and concerns to bring up to the vet when we go. I'll let you know what my vet says!