Pooping on bed - help!

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
16 yr-old cat keeps pooping on our bed. He’s done this about 5 days in a row now, right after breakfast. He has a top entry litter box and gets in and out okay, as he goes in it to pee (but hasn’t pooped in it much lately).

He also has a heart condition, so is on a lot of meds – furosemide, spironolactone, hydrochlorothiazide (to decrease fluid in chest), pimobendan, clopridogrel (lower stroke risk). However, he pooped on the bed several times months ago before being on these meds, and has been on the meds about 2 months without bed-pooping again, so I don’t think it’s the meds.

I thought he wouldn’t do it if I was sitting on the bed – but nope, he hopped right up next to me and started peeing. After laundering, I sprayed the bed with mint and vinegar, plus put some tinfoil down, and that dissuaded him the rest of the day. I also placed him gently on and in his litter as a reminder several times, but he still wouldn’t go in to poop (just peed a bit).

This evening I came home from being out and my parter was in bed a asleep with the cat locked out. I left the bedroom door open briefly while brushing my teeth and the dang can snuck in, hopped up on the bed… and pooped. Darn it if he didn’t save it up all day just to go poop in there! (Even with my partner in the bed!)

His poops seem normal (no diarrhea), and he’s eating and drinking okay. I’m going to email his vet, but help!!! If anyone has advice or ideas.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is this a new partner he could be revolting against? Has anything changes recently? Have you tried a 2nd box? Mine like to pee in one and poop in another

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My number one recommendation would be to take the lid off the box. It's hard on them at that age to get in to those type of boxes. It's more fine for urinating because they don't have to hold the squat post for very long. It could be that after jumping in its too painful to squat for long enough to poo. Your bed is soft. With litter box and pain issues, we often see cats going on soft surfaces.

Top-entering boxes really aren't suitable for geriatric cats as they age. They can cause many issues over time.

You mentioned poo is not too soft but is it too hard? Constipation can double the above issue. They have to hold the painful position longer and also it hurts in their stomach and bum regions.

If he pooped on the bed at before medication last time you might also want him checked by the vet to see if his medication dosages need increasing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with all of the above. I would also recommend a second litter box, perhaps one that is not top entry and even without a top of any kind. If that doesn't work, give him a second litter box with puppy pee pads in them instead of litter and see what happens. I would also remove all the bedding that he has pooped on and if washable, soak it thoroughly before totally washing it again.

And ditto on the meds. Maybe his meds need to re-evaluated for dosage levels since he was doing this before the meds, then stopped, and is now doing it again.

Also, as mentioned above, he may be experiencing some arthritis which can lead to litter box issues. Most cats assume a different position between peeing and pooping, so perhaps the position he takes for pooping in the litter box hurts him and so he avoids going there. Cats are more inclined to associate the discomfort with the box and not their own bodies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this a new partner he could be revolting against? Has anything changes recently? Have you tried a 2nd box? Mine like to pee in one and poop in another
Not a new partner at all, but it is interesting that the cat ONLY poops on the partner's side of the bed! (However I read someplace that cats generally aren't vengeful, despite what people often think. It's more about finding the litter box inconvenient or uncomfortable somehow. Not sure this is true.)

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not a new partner at all, but it is interesting that the cat ONLY poops on the partner's side of the bed! (However I read someplace that cats generally aren't vengeful, despite what people often think. It's more about finding the litter box inconvenient or uncomfortable somehow. Not sure this is true.)
Also, a second box is a good idea!

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My number one recommendation would be to take the lid off the box. It's hard on them at that age to get in to those type of boxes. It's more fine for urinating because they don't have to hold the squat post for very long. It could be that after jumping in its too painful to squat for long enough to poo. Your bed is soft. With litter box and pain issues, we often see cats going on soft surfaces.

Top-entering boxes really aren't suitable for geriatric cats as they age. They can cause many issues over time.

You mentioned poo is not too soft but is it too hard? Constipation can double the above issue. They have to hold the painful position longer and also it hurts in their stomach and bum regions.

If he pooped on the bed at before medication last time you might also want him checked by the vet to see if his medication dosages need increasing.
Oh that all makes a lot of sense. I actually just ordered a new litter box that is covered but has steps to get up into it. (I'd try leaving the cover off, but we live in a teeny apartment, so that's not great.) I may also try some of those disposable litter boxes without covers, temporarily, so see if he'd been more willing to go into one that's uncovered.

ms2762

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with all of the above. I would also recommend a second litter box, perhaps one that is not top entry and even without a top of any kind. If that doesn't work, give him a second litter box with puppy pee pads in them instead of litter and see what happens. I would also remove all the bedding that he has pooped on and if washable, soak it thoroughly before totally washing it again.

And ditto on the meds. Maybe his meds need to re-evaluated for dosage levels since he was doing this before the meds, then stopped, and is now doing it again.

Also, as mentioned above, he may be experiencing some arthritis which can lead to litter box issues. Most cats assume a different position between peeing and pooping, so perhaps the position he takes for pooping in the litter box hurts him and so he avoids going there. Cats are more inclined to associate the discomfort with the box and not their own bodies.
Oh, the poor old guy. Yes, it is probably several of those things. I also like the second box and puppy pee pads idea.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh that all makes a lot of sense. I actually just ordered a new litter box that is covered but has steps to get up into it. (I'd try leaving the cover off, but we live in a teeny apartment, so that's not great.) I may also try some of those disposable litter boxes without covers, temporarily, so see if he'd been more willing to go into one that's uncovered.
I really get it.
It's not nice to look at, but with geriatric cats it's often the long term solution. Check out #8 on this list. It's an excellent idea for small spaces to hide the box in a way that's more geriatric friendly. 16 Clever Ways to Hide the Litter Box