Poop outside the box and Glucosamine for cats

filomali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody, I just HAVE to share!!!! I'm not sure if this should be posted in Behavior or Health. But I think behavior is more important because we've been dealing with this for years.

My male cat is 14 years old, and he hasn't poop in the litterbox for years. I know. Gross. It's our dirty little secret. I would say...... probably not in the last 6 years.

We love him and we keep him no matter what, but it's just gross. We have carpet flooring.

Recently we found out about glucosamine + chondroitin for cats while browsing for other things. And we joked about this because my husband takes glucosamine. I was interested though, because my other 14 year old cat, female from the same litter, is basically on the bed for 23 hours every single day. So we ordered some thinking maybe it will help if they have joint pains, since they are old cats anyway.

Well... this is the 3rd day of taking glucosamine treat twice a day, and this morning Tomcat pooped IN THE BOX. I was speechless. By now I recognize his poop, lol. It also wasn't covered (that's his other issue, he can't cover his business since he was a kitten). Prior to this we tried everything, from different littler boxes, different litter, exercising him, etc and nothing works.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I can assure you though that this was no coincidence, he really hasn't pooped in the box for years. As for Pretty Kitty, I thought I saw her getting out of bed more, but I'm giving her a few weeks to really see if the glucosamine helps her.

If you have similar problem I hope this post helps give you an idea.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. What an interesting thing to have happened. 

I can see how pain from arthritis might make a cat avoid digging in litter. Is glucosamine supposed to take effect so quickly though? I wonder if there were any other changes lately?

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a possibility he has bowel issues? Glucosamine can help with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and sometimes cats avoid the litter box if they associate it with pain from pooping or peeing, so maybe it got rid of pain he was having with his poops? IBD tends to manifest as diarrhea and/or vomiting, though, so if he wasn't having any problems like that there's probably another explanation.