Poop on foot

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive noticed my cat has been doing her biz pee,poop but seems to keep getting her foot in it and dragging little peices of litter on outside of box,also must get her one corner of foot in poop,ive tried to clean it off her but the only way is to get it out with a little fur,which im sure it hurts. This started when i bought some crap cheap litter and now i bought the litter she likes and it still happens,only been one day tho for the good litter,anyone else have this. she seems fine and is 7 yo

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure on this one, but am requesting that your question be moved over into the Care and Grooming Forum rather than health.  I think you may get more responses over there
.  One thing I might suggest though, is perhaps trying to clean her foot with a wet cloth rather than pulling on her fur?

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe the litter box is too small? I would try a bigger box to see if the extra room helps :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she hs used this litter box pretty much her whole life and she isnt bigger,its a big box. Ive noticed she doesnt walk very well because of matter on the bottom of her feet,so im thinking the stuff on her feet is causing her to crouch diffrent in the litter box,does that make sense??? I have used a wet cloths most of time and will only do that,i dont want it to hurt her. Can a mod put this in a diffrent section maybe ?? thx

orangeblossom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried sort of pressing a soaking, warm cloth against her paws to loosen the litter/poop? If it's really stuck on there it might take some soaking to loosen it, then it should wipe off easily without removing any fur. If she goes back in the litter with wet paws, though, litter will clump on them... So make sure to dry them off for her.

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I do use a warm cloth or paper towel,but she is real weird about anybody touching her paws/feet. So i can only get so much before she gets mad at me,i have to take her to get her nails trimmed because of the sensitive paws

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Racn1320 -- i agree with others who have suggested trying a wet cloth to soften/loosen the dried litter on kitty's foot.

what i've found helpful with my cats when they've gotten litter stuck in between their paw pads is to stand while holding the cat in my arms, then use the fingers of one hand to gently rub in between the paw pads -- which loosens the stuck litter and it crumbles and falls off. my cats would be very uncomfortable with me messing with their paws unless i'm standing and holding them in my arms. might be worth trying......?

is it kitty's front or back paws that the litter gets stuck on?

Last edited:

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just back feet,she doesnt like to be held tho,she is real touchy with her paws

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i understand, she doesn't like to be held. with the back paws/feet, holding the cat in your arms while you're standing is a really good way to be able to gently massage out the stuck on cat litter.

if you're concerned that she may scratch or bite while you're holding her and loosening the stuck on litter, you might consider having the vet/vet techs remove the litter and clean the foot.

in my experience, the litter needs to be removed and the foot/pads/toes area cleaned. new/more litter will likely stick to the area if there's any litter matter left stuck on.