Poop gets stuck on Kittens' fur ALOT?

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4months old kitten yuki gets poop stuck on his fur a lot :(
He has long hair so I understand its because of that, and I've thought about the sanitary cut, but my vet told me he doesn't do it for young kittens so that they'll learn how to clean themselves

Problem is he's alone in the house in the mornings so if he gets poop stuck to him, he messes the house with poop :( he has done that about 3 times now :(
and today after he popped I saw the poop stuck on him then when he jumped out of the box the poopie just fell on the ground next to the box :(

Also I have to wash his bum each time with water and soap which he isn't very fond of, I've tried baby wipes but they don't seem to work and he won't stand for it :(

Is there a way to almost stop this from happening?
Is it that he needs a larger litter box?
Would this stop when I switch him to an all raw diet? Or it doesn't make a difference?(I only give him one raw meal a day for now)

smaylala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pissht just have his butt clippered, I'm a groomer you don't have to wait in till he's grown, my cats 8yrs, and he will NOT clean a poo cake off, he will clean his bum hole but won't lick a turd off. So yes you should get a sanni trim! Sorry for the poo talk haha ;) if you have any questions just shoot :)

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby kitty Balerion is on antibiotics that give him diarrhea.  He gets poo stuck to his butt every time he poops, and often steps in it (he's only 7 weeks old). 

What I do, because I am home all day, is watch him and when he goes to use a litterbox, I follow and wait til he's finished pooping, grab him before he can step in it, and wipe off his rear end with cat safe wipes (ie safe if they lick it). 

What do you mean that your cat "won't stand" for baby wipes?  Just grab him and hold him still, and gently wipe the area.  He might not LIKE it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I did snip and shave the area around my baby's rear to make sure the liquid poo won't stick to it.  It's not inhumane or anything so why not go for it?  It has NOT made my kitten any less likely to groom his butt - he always grooms after pooping even though I use wipes.  So I think your vet was wrong about him being less likely to learn to groom just because his rear end is clipped.

Hope the problem resolves itself soon! :)

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We had that problem with our Persian for a very short while. It never happened after we switched him to raw. After the first time it happened, I used rounded-edge scissors to give him a sanitary trim. That helped a little, but not much. In my experience, the problem is the loose stools, not the long hair. I haven't trimmed since switching him to raw food. I add canned pumpkin to his food and give him a probiotic everyday. The stools are much smaller and firm. I do find an occasional "dropping" near the litter box, but it is dry and very easy to clean up as compared to the early mess. He is never messy (knock on wood) - the stool is too firm to leave much residue.

I know that the food plays a large role in this, because I tried feeding him commercial canned food a couple of times. Even the most expensive variety (organic, from Whole Foods) caused loose stools and a mess.