Polyps/Feline Orofacial Pain Syndrome

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take care of yourself, first of all. Stress like this can lower the immune system and suddenly you get sick. That is wonderful news from the vet and I hope that the new protocol helps.

That is an understatement. You deserve a medal.
THANK YOU...

He is ok today, despite a long journey there and back, there was no additional stress for him...

I have also found a different local vets, just on the waiting list...
We had enough of bad experiences from our present vets...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rysiek has been stressed out by my health. I have developed a horrible cough, and I think this affects him, as I may have attacks lasting for an hour.
He has been withdrawn and quiet.
Additionally, I have been using something with camphor, so the bedroom smells differently, too strong for him.

I do not know how to help him, as this is sad to see him so withdrawn and sad.

Last edited:

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He attacked me today 😞 to the extent I have been bleeding...
I took him out and he definitely wanted to be there longer...I got him back home and when trying to take the harness of, he first bit me through my jacket, so I have a kind of bruise on my forearm, then he turned back and jumped biting my leg, around my knee, through my trousers but this time much deeper, so I have been bleeding...as he was still in the attacking mode, I locked myself in one of the rooms, so he got calmer...
I feel so saddened by this...last year was all about him...
I am aware this was "just his instinct" but it hurts and I don't know what to do...
He is not going out anymore today...

What am I doing wrong???
My cat is a predator...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had to give him buprenorphine eventually as he was responding with pain ...he is sleeping now, all the bedding had been changed/no more campfore smell, room ventilated and feliway plugged.
Although difficult experience I understand it completely from his perspective.

Also, I wonder if last week gabapentin somehow deregulated his system, as since then he had been a big more sensitive ...
+ I think, my illness may be difficult for him as he does not really understand my coughing spells and croaky voice...+ Strange, strong smell of campfore ...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are so sick and hopefully have gotten some medical care for yourself. If the bite needs to be seen or looks infected, take care of that as well.

I don't think that you have a predator on your hands. Cats are so sensitive to their environment and I wonder if the camphor set him off. It is toxic and while I know that you did not bring him into direct contact with it the smell/slight inhalation might have been enough to set him off. It can be a CNS stimulant for dogs and cats. At one time, a skunk had taken up residence in the garage. The cats have access to it, although are not ever confined there. In trying to get the skunk to leave humanely, I put mothballs in a sealed container near his "spot". The cats could not ingest them and did not have to go near that location, but no one entered the garage until the skunk was relocated and the mothballs were gone. Oddly, the cats had no fear of the skunk himself and would not run away if he came out and sat near them.

It also may be that he did not want to come home yet or was excited about something that he smelled outside.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is scared... Even when I took him out, he was acting as if anxious... Does not want to play with me... Hides under the bed again... He eats normally... His eyes are much bigger and he seems to be watchful...

Perhaps yesterday's experience and me raising my voice retriggered something?
He is so sensitive, same like people with trauma...
Perhaps me coughing during the night terrifies him?
I have restarted zylkene and gave him buprenorphine again in the morning as he was rolling his tongue, which happens during his painful attacks

Have I abused his trust? And how, if I can regain it??

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds as if you have been seriously ill and that difference in your behavior has probably raised some kind of red flag. It is normal to react to an unexpected bite and you can't blame yourself for that. I have never had a cat not recover from something which upset them. Try to return to your regular behavior as much as possible and he will figure out that nothing is different. Are you seeing a doctor for yourself?

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if you have been seriously ill and that difference in your behavior has probably raised some kind of red flag. It is normal to react to an unexpected bite and you can't blame yourself for that. I have never had a cat not recover from something which upset them. Try to return to your regular behavior as much as possible and he will figure out that nothing is different. Are you seeing a doctor for yourself?
I am on antibiotics and have ENT consultation on Monday...
It is a nasty respiratory virus...

Attachments

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems that he is having a set back..it is around four weeks since stopping metacam.
I may need to restart gabapentin, as per pain clinic suggestion: "Gabapentin can take 4-6 weeks to wind down pain and so if they stop taking it we would watch for pain recurring around 4-6 weeks after stopping it. So we would usually treat for 4 weeks past a resolution of the symptoms and if stable we would wean off. If we felt symptoms recurred after weaning off again then it maybe we need to either consider a longer treatment course or a change of treatment. pain clinic suggestion. She said to get him on it for about 4-6 weeks, and then tapper it again..."

I feel sad...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If he truly needs pain medication, I would continue it. I know it is disappointing but it also might explain some of his recent behavior if the pain has returned.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he truly needs pain medication, I would continue it. I know it is disappointing but it also might explain some of his recent behavior if the pain has returned.
I have given him gabapentin today morning...and you right, the pain could explain his recent behaviour, such as aggression and hiding under the bed...

I feel defeated. I wanted him to have a quality life, with no drugs...he was so good when we stopped metacam (which was actually around 4 weeks ago)...
I don't like him being drugged...

I will continue for 4-6 weeks and then try to tapper again...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a good course of action. If he needs pain meds on an ongoing basis, it is not the worst thing that could happen and you may be able to determine a dose which helps but does not make him drugged.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is a good course of action. If he needs pain meds on an ongoing basis, it is not the worst thing that could happen and you may be able to determine a dose which helps but does not make him drugged.
He has been under the bed most of the time...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He responded to gabapentin regime in a traumatic way, was under the bed all the time, each time I was approaching the bedroom he was watching my each step with his wide opened eyes, appeared anxious...he did go to eat in the middle of night and then went under the bed and really in the darkest corner of it...
So, I did not succeed this time with medicating him...
I stopped...as this would be impossible to follow a twice daily routine...

He is ok, back to himself...no hiding under the bed anymore..much happier...
Makes me wonder, if his aggressive behaviour may have related to gabapentin anyway, as I had to give him a triple dose prior to his vet appointment...perhaps his nervous system was irritated in some way? I also think that vets prescribe gabapentin too lightly...this is a potent neurological medication, which is suggested to animals as if it had no side effects, neither withdrawal...
I think I will start CBD protocol, still researching what schedule, what doses...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Gabapentin can makes some cats more excitable which could translate to anxiety. It is supposedly an uncommon side effect, but can happen in some cases. Maybe that was the problem with the triple dose, even though it was prescribed, and I am glad to hear that he is back to his old self.

Hope you are feeling better!

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has been in more pain, today only approached his toys and it started. I gave him buprenorphine and I intend to give him this for the next three or five days just to break to the pain cycle.
In my view gabapentin just caused a rebound pain...

I booked appointment (remote) with the herbal vets in two weeks, as it was suggested by the pain clinic.
I have moved him to a different vet practice and asked for the appointment with the vet who has a special interest in neurology.

It is painful to see him in pain...

I also have a sad reflection: that all this medication in the past year has made things worse...
I feel responsible for his pain...