Polling - do you let your cat sleep on your bed at night

Do you let your cat sleep on your bed at night?

• yes

Votes: 164 87.7%
  • no

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • (s)he doesn't like to sleep on the bed

Votes: 16 8.6%

• Total voters

nyankoandco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think there's something quite relaxing about sharing your bed with your cat, or rather them sharing your bed with you.  
Heh. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about, as it is (as other people have said) 'their house too.'

My previous cat used to not only follow me to bed, we would also race to see who could get up the stairs first. He always used to win, but as he got older I began to take the lead. I really miss him. :(

I've only just joined the site having finally got a new cat called Charlie, so I'm getting stuck in with the forums to refresh some of my knowledge and learn some new things to make him comfortable. I may very well invest in some pet stairs further down the line, not for myself as my new bed is low to the ground, but for my room mate! XD 

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the three youngin's on the bed with me at night. Not necessarily all at the same time, but I often wake up realizing all of my limbs are pinned into place. Or I'll inadvertently kick a cat :anon:

Oscar almost always sleeps by my feet. Penelopy is either by my feet as well or on my leg (or in the crook of my leg if I'm on my side). Oliver is up by torso. I love when he's half on and half off - that's the most comfortable. Too hot (and heavy!) when he's all on me. He's kinda in the spot that Lucky used to be in.

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duchess took some time to start sleeping on the bed at night with us almost a year...but now she has given her spot to Prince...who sleeps on my pillows I use against my body...Duchess no longer seems interested in sleeping with me at night [emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128575[/emoji]

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Duchess took some time to start sleeping on the bed at night with us almost a year...but now she has given her spot to Prince...who sleeps on my pillows I use against my body...Duchess no longer seems interested in sleeping with me at night [emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128575[/emoji]
  That could change tomorrow. She might decide she wants her spot back and hand him his eviction papers. Cats also reserve the right to change their mind. 

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121

Hahaha I have a feeling come winter time she just might...although I think I'm gonna get stairs for the bed as our new bed is super high...this is her new sleeping spot...
and she chirps at me to pat her butt and pet her....she's a chirper it's so hilarious

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no choice. Nah, seriously Martha shares my bed with and jumps on in the morning for her morning hello and snuggle.

renaendel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We used the pet stair idea, but used two so the tall ends are flush against each other. So our cat shares the bed with us, but this way she has her own private shelf for when we toss and turn.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yes. My 7 1/2 month old boy sleeps on my bed each night. He'll normally play under the blanket for some time and after playing, he'll sleep on the pillow that he hijacked from me. But he have the whole house to himself, so he sleeps anywhere he likes too.

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So of all the folks who allow their kitties to sleep with them......any of you have ever had any 'accidents' happen on your beds because they were hungry, sick, upset, etc...???

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my now 9 year old Starbuck was a 6 week old kitten she let me know she had a URI by waking me up sneezing in my face.  She also woke my hubby up sneezing in his face too.  She had a pretty severe URI and we both had to get up and wash our faces. She was not having a hard time breathing at the time just lots of sneezing.  She was taken to the vet that day when they opened for treatment.  She never stopped acting like a kitten when she was sick either.

Years ago I had a black cat named Tabby that I adopted.  She was a kitten at the time and one morning she was playing with us in bed.  She was so busy playing that she peed on the bed.  She only got the comforter and not us.  We just changed the bedding and washed the comforter.  She never had another accident again.  Rest in peace Tabby.

Starbuck also threw up on my pillow once when she had a stomach bug.  She went to the vet that day for nausea meds. She was so polite about it she did not puke on me at all. Right after if happened she smacked with her paw to wake me up.  I did not get mad at her and thanked her for letting me know the puke was there.

Baby-T another rainbow bridge kitty once threw-up a hairball in my lap while I was lying on the bed watching tv. She was short-haired but used to groom all the other cats in my house. She was trying to get out of my lap but did not move fast enough.  That was the only time it happened.  She would get hairballs once in a while but was really good about puking them up on hard surfaces.  She would meow at me till I followed her and show me where the puke was.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. None of my 3 have ever gotten sick on the bed. I think it's because they think it's THEIR bed and they just let me use a portion of it. Henry LOVES my memory foam pillows and sleeps/snuggles on them every chance he gets. I still have the flannel sheets on the bed because Sophie likes to burrow under the top sheet to make a nest in it. Queen Lilybelle likes to stretch out at the foot of the bed. I often find myself stretched out across the top of the bed where the pillows usually go so I don't disturb them. 

Last edited:

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@GrooveRite

My Duchess threw up on my pillow once while we were sleeping..she used to sleep on my pillow with me...anyhoo she let me know and we cleaned it up (she helped of course) I took off pillow case made sure she was ok and we went right back to sleep...a couple of times when we lived in this one house she peed on my pillow twice but it was because someone was outside our window and for whatever reason she peed twice...I cleaned my pillow case each time and pillow once as the second time I was in room with her and I caught it in time...anyways she hasn't done it since then...cats are meticulously clean...and if they sleep in bed with you they consider that their sleeping place...so its not like they would purposely pee or do other things where they sleep as they require their area to be pretty clean...now I have friends that when they brought a dog into their place their only cat that didn't pass away out of the 5 they had started to pee on their bed...but I don't know if she slept on bed with them...

catlover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my 3 does and sometimes sleeps closer to my head.  But as soon as he starts bathing himself too much I push him to the foot of the bed. The other two move around too much.

I live in a small apartment with no door to my den. So one of my other ones kept scratching and hitting at the door to come in. I had to break him of it.

I hope you don't think I was bad in scaring my cat but I threw shoes at the door to make a loud noise so he would stop scratching. It works and I didn't have to do it long. I couldn't afford one of those things that blows air out or anything else. Now this is the opposite side of the door from the cat. 

Last edited:

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I only asked because I used to allow my cats to roam everywhere in my apartment when I first had them for the first 4/5 years. I learned that while I loved having them around and sleeping with them, I encountered too much stress from them waking me up and having too many accidents on my bed. Now, my bedroom is the only place they're are not allowed in when I'm not home or sleeping. When I wake up, I let them in and they get to explore and bother me about feeding them, lol. We all live happily this way! 

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one that sleeps in his own safe room, and the other sleeps with us (due to site-swapping, long-lasting introductory period).  Wurp, my older cat, demands that we go to bed starting about 9:30 every night.  He appears in the living room and sits in front of us staring at us, then howls at us sometimes, because he is so routine-oriented. He wants his 3rd can of cat food for the day put in the bedroom with us, and he eats, drinks, then comes to bed and walks up my body to sit on my chest for his bedtime petting, then when he has had enough, he goes and gets between my hubby's feet and he sleeps there generally the entire night.  My only problem is that when he is asleep across your legs or feet he WILL NOT MOVE.  He just goes all floppy and you can try to move him over, he just flops around like a dead cat.  My hubby says they have their own system worked out and it works for them.  He gets up/down several times a night to go patrol the house, eat, drink, use the box, but he sleeps most of the night there.  But then again, hubby gets up in the middle of the night too quite a bit.  Wurp usually gets up before me in the AM, and will be sitting in front of the cabinet where his food stays waiting on me to get up, usually he has opened the cabinet door.  It's the usual routine, and been that way for years.  When hubby travels and is gone at night, he usually sleeps about mid-way up the bed instead, on his side.  Here's a good pic of them sharing the lower end of the bed, you can see the "lump" of hubby's legs/feet, and how Wurp lays.  He takes up a lot of room at the foot of the bed when he spreads out!

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I allow them and they often do, but they also sleep all over the house in different spots. One uses his cat bed, the other likes the sofa, they both like the cat tree and on the chairs under the table. They also sleep on the floor a lot as the tiles are nice and cool in this hot weather. One's asleep by my feet right now and I don't know where the other is.

They don't tend to wake me up in the morning as I'm an extremely heavy sleeper and they stay at the bottom of the bed because I'm a roller too.

lauriec515

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a Queen size bed,  and my husband works at night.  My one cat Milo sleeps right above my head on my pillow!!!  Another cat, Candy sleeps at the foot of the bed on my side.  My third cat,  Coco sleeps downstairs, usually.