Polite ways to hang up the phone

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends can talk for hours about one thing,change the subject,again talks continuously so I can put the phone down and do something else. I am not like that. So I have made excuses like my dinners ready, I need to go to the store, my cat had an accident. What would you say?
I need more so I don't give the same excuse every time

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say do like you would with a toddler---give time warnings, then just do it. Start with "I can only talk for 10 minutes today", then "oh, I really have to go in 5 minutes", then, "sorry, gotta go, so nice talking to you" and hang up. You don't need an excuse; "I have to go now" is perfectly acceptable. Of course you can find ways to word it that aren't too abrupt, tailored to her personality. And then if she calls back just don't answer, tell her you were busy when she called. If that hurts her feelings, well, that's the way it is. You just can't be on the phone all day.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a few friends like that, and we've essentially done what Willowy says. Believe it or not, it works. lol

One day, we had a mutual friend at the house when one of our chatty friends called. Hubby was friendly, but firm, and kept the call to 5 minutes. Our visiting friend was amazed.

Honestly, if you state it right up front that you only have a certain amount of time, then they really can't complain when you say "time's up" (with a smile, of course).

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, that's what I do, too.. when they ring I say 'lovely to hear from you.. I have to ....... in twenty minutes'.
The other day I was henna-ing my hair (you know, where you sit around with something that resembles a cow pat on your head for hours?) and I said 'I have to go or I'm going to look like a fire hydrant'. That works.. :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister is like that. Even when I say my dinner is on the table she can go on for another 30 minutes. To me, people like this and especially people who are continuously late to gatherings, are incredibly arrogant. They think their time is more important than anyone else's. We are not as arrogant so let them abuse our time. These people do not deserve our kindness, they need to be dealt with as they deal with others. Tell them you HAVE to go and then do it. If they are late, start without them. The dinner, etc. should not be ruined for many because of one selfish person. If you want to be gracious, tell them you enjoyed the talk, but now you have something else to do that can't wait. Touching up your woodwork and the brush is drying, taking your dinner out of the pan/stove, have a dentist appt., just leaving for the store, clothes are done in the dryer, and someone else is calling, you hear the beep. Or you can tell them your house is on fire and see if they keep on talking!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I used to have a friend like that. She would call and expect me to listen to her for hours on end. I simply didn't have that much time or energy. I remember answering the phone and saying, "Oh, I'm up to my elbows in making meatballs!" or "I'm working on kneading bread. Call you later!" and so on. She would even call me at work because she knew I got there early. And I'd have to answer the phone because it could be business. If it was her, I'd say, "Somebody just came in, gotta go!"

But you don't need an excuse. "I'm sorry, but I can't talk to you right now" is good enough.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My husband's sister was the exactly the same and because she was family, or at least his family, I tried to be polite. It got worse as she got older. She would tell me where she went to eat and then give me every little detail about what was on the menu and what she ordered. :rolleyes2: So I would politely say, "it's been nice talking to you but I have to go, (no excuses why I had to go), take care and then I hung up, click!

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also know and knew people like this! I've even had customers on the phone that chatted like crazy in long winded convos and had to be creative with them. I feel yeah. Previous suggestions here are greatly solid as is. Often you just have to set boundaries ahead of time, go straight to the point and not worry about having to explain yourself. If they aren't considerate from their side, then not worth the fuss overall.

There are other little tricks: Do not ask any follow up questions to anything they say, reassure you will talk to them again soon after ending the conversation (In the meantime, if you can, schedule your next call in between schedule appointments/plans ahead of time. That way you definitely have legit and uncompromising reasons to end the phone call and give yourself a set time limit) suggest an alternative way to communicate via email or text, refocus the conversation back to it's original point or topic to make a final ending conclusion, reverse the conversation to your end when you say "Wow sorry time flies, I won't keep you on the phone any longer. Take care!" "Oh don't you have that thing later? I know you are so busy. I bet you have to get going!" etc etc

If you ever need any other quick excuses just in case.....

"Sorry I have to go, my phone is dying/low battery" (My mom uses this sometimes with her very chatty one sided sibling. Tends to work very well)

"My Boss/Manager/Elderly friend or family member from a residence is calling/skyping/zooming me, I have to go"

"Nature is calling, I really have to go to the bathroom"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! A lot of great solutions. I even shared this to my email to write it down