Pls help! Cat has blood in urine and couldn't get up off the floor yesterday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aldreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone help me read this urine culture result? The vet wants to give us amoxycillin+clavulanic acid again, but I have a feeling this may not be the most effective drug. Is there a way to tell if another antibiotic might be more effective for this particular infection? FeebysOwner FeebysOwner do you happen to have any idea? Thanks!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is usually a 'test range' given along with the MIC ratings for each type of antibiotic. I don't see a range on that chart, so I am not sure about the ones that would be most effective. The "S" on the chart does indicate that e-coli is sensitive to all these antibiotics, meaning that they would have some level of effectiveness.

I guess if it were me, I would have to ask the vet why they aren't considering another antibiotic to try given the less then stellar results from the previous one. If you are going to talk to the vet about this, don't forget to ask about your concerns of Maya's infection having extended into her upper urinary tract and how that would affect the antibiotic protocol (most effective for entire tract, and duration of treatment).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know of NO hard treats to put pills in. Once they crack them open, the pill would fall right out and then that's that. Cat's are smart so once they get wise to one way of you giving the pills, unless you actually shove it down their throats, I find you need to switch it up. sometimes I put them in one type of pill pocket, sometimes I wrap them in pill dough and roll that in Fortiflora, sometimes I crush the pill and dissolve it in something like Fancy Feast broths (which actualy have piece of meat in them), many people use lickables to pull, etc. See the tricks above for pilling. The fourth one down is pretty interesting.

aldreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know of NO hard treats to put pills in. Once they crack them open, the pill would fall right out and then that's that. Cat's are smart so once they get wise to one way of you giving the pills, unless you actually shove it down their throats, I find you need to switch it up. sometimes I put them in one type of pill pocket, sometimes I wrap them in pill dough and roll that in Fortiflora, sometimes I crush the pill and dissolve it in something like Fancy Feast broths (which actualy have piece of meat in them), many people use lickables to pull, etc. See the tricks above for pilling. The fourth one down is pretty interesting.
Thanks, I know what you mean. Ours caught on pretty quickly and started just eating the treat and leaving out the pill. They gave us a liquid antibiotic so I think I might try that for now.

aldreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is usually a 'test range' given along with the MIC ratings for each type of antibiotic. I don't see a range on that chart, so I am not sure about the ones that would be most effective. The "S" on the chart does indicate that e-coli is sensitive to all these antibiotics, meaning that they would have some level of effectiveness.

I guess if it were me, I would have to ask the vet why they aren't considering another antibiotic to try given the less then stellar results from the previous one. If you are going to talk to the vet about this, don't forget to ask about your concerns of Maya's infection having extended into her upper urinary tract and how that would affect the antibiotic protocol (most effective for entire tract, and duration of treatment).
Thanks for the great suggestions! We started her on D-Mannose and got an antibiotic called Veraflox (pradofloxacin). This one seems to be a lot more effective. I tried it once on the weekend and right away the redness in the pee went down.

But I read that this class of antibiotics can cause serious problems for cats, like blindness and nervous system issues. Did you ever have any problems with orbifloxacin?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the great suggestions! We started her on D-Mannose and got an antibiotic called Veraflox (pradofloxacin). This one seems to be a lot more effective. I tried it once on the weekend and right away the redness in the pee went down.But I read that this class of antibiotics can cause serious problems for cats, like blindness and nervous system issues. Did you ever have any problems with orbifloxacin?
Feeby had no negative reaction to the Orbax, and tbh I wasn't even aware of the side effects!! I hope Maya fares as well as Feeby did! Good on the D-Mannose! I really think that is only reason Feeby no longer has e-coli in her urine. Hope to hear more good news by the time Maya's antibiotics are done! How long is she due to take Veraflox?

aldreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Feeby had no negative reaction to the Orbax, and tbh I wasn't even aware of the side effects!! I hope Maya fares as well as Feeby did! Good on the D-Mannose! I really think that is only reason Feeby no longer has e-coli in her urine. Hope to hear more good news by the time Maya's antibiotics are done! How long is she due to take Veraflox?
I have a few weeks' worth, but I'm worried the vet gave a really high dose (basically for a cat about 2x Maya's weight). So I'm thinking of reducing the dosage to minimize the risk. Do you remember what dose you used for the Orbax by any chance? Did they reduce it because of Feeby's age?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a few weeks' worth, but I'm worried the vet gave a really high dose (basically for a cat about 2x Maya's weight). So I'm thinking of reducing the dosage to minimize the risk. Do you remember what dose you used for the Orbax by any chance? Did they reduce it because of Feeby's age?
Feeby's Orbax was labeled as: Oral suspension 30mg/ml (20 ml). She was prescribed 1.75 ml per dose, based on her weight which at the time was 12.7 pounds. The vet always wanted me to go at least 10 days, preferably 14. Last time she took it, I think I got 12 doses out of the bottle, and we 'called it done'. I previously had to buy two bottles and give her a higher dose, when she weighed a bit more. No mention was made of her age, but maybe because she had taken this med numerous times before, dating back a number of years.