Pls help! Cat has blood in urine and couldn't get up off the floor yesterday

aldreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello friends,

Our female Maya is 18. For about a week we've been seeing red patches in her pee. Yesterday morning I found her on the floor meowing hard, dragging herself and not able to stand on her feet. We took her to the vet and they sent us home with some sedatives. They said it doesn't look like she had a stroke and that all her limbs are moving fine. They told us to hydrate her and see how she does over a couple of days. Today she looks a bit better. She got up on her feet, wobbled around for a bit and had a pee. The pee again had red in it (almost looks like red sand sprinkled in it). She is still not stable, hasn't been drinking or eating, and keeps tucking away to her dark place out of sight.

Have any of you folks seen this kind of issue in your kitty (bloody pee, painful meowing, not being able to get up off the floor)? Do you have any clues what might be going on with her? What can we do to help her get better (like any medication and/or supplements)? Any advice on how to help her to eat and drink something? What should we expect going forward?

Thanks in advance. Any help would be much appreciated!

Maya's family

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bring her back to the vet for some blood work and urine testing. Other than the bloody urine, you are describing what happened to my old boy when he "was crashing" and was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (age related) The crash happens when the kidneys can't keep up with filtering, but it could be anything. She needs a diagnosis before you start messing with meds and supplements, you don't want to make it worse by giving her the wrong treatment.
One thing though....how are you hydrating her? Just getting her to drink more probably isn't enough...did the vet give Maya fluids (IV or sub-Q) while at the clinic? Did they send you home with any sub-Q fluids to administer yourself?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aldreams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jem Jem and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner thanks for the replies! Maya has been slowly recovering. I was going to bring her to the vet yesterday as per your suggestions. But she was up on her feet and drank a lot of water yesterday, so we thought of seeing how she does rather than moving her (which she doesn't like at all). She's still wobbly though and I'm not sure if she has eaten anything. Her pee today looks like it was without blood.

I'm still trying to figure out what she went through. It seems like a bladder issue judging by the bloody pee. Vet suggested it may be kidney stones/crystals or a urinary infection. Like Jem Jem said it could also be chronic kidney disease. I also came across a urinary tract disease called FLUTD. I have noticed that she has some pain when peeing (she meows after going to the toilet), even without bloody pee.

The vet also suggested that seizures may be a problem for her at this age. She doesn't have huge seizures, but they do happen.

Do you folks have any suggestions for supplements/natural remedies to try to help Maya with these issues (kidneys, urinary tract, seizures)? We really want to avoid surgical procedures for many reasons (Maya being 18 y/o and the risks of her not making it, and cost is also an issue). Have you guys tried anything that's worked for you? We'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks again.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy would get seizures, and they were related to the CKD. So if CKD is a problem, I would recommend a wet food only diet, and try to find foods low in phosphorus.
A wet food only diet can also help with urinary issues.
Check out this site
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
Best site to find all things CKD!!! was a life line for me when I went thru it with my boy. I would not do anything crazy though unless you get a blood test from your vet to confirm a diagnosis. And I would also caution you on any significant supplements until you get that blood test. Kidneys are what filter many meds and supplements...you don't want to exacerbate the problem if Maya has CKD.
And if her seizures are linked to blood pressure problems NOT related to CKD but CHF instead, treatments for CKD and CFH actually counteract each other...

I'm glad she seems to be feeling better, but I still encourage you to go get a full panel senior blood workup. And also a urine analysis and culture. There is no surgery necessary to simply get testing done. It will point you in the right direction on what treatment options are good for you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean this in the best way as I've been in the what happened place at vets before. Is it possible your vet suggested you bring her in for blood work and, in an understandable state of shock, your mind didn't register her suggestion? It would be perfectly all right to call and ask if that would be a good idea.