Please talk me off this introduction ledge

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

First, I believe things are going well enough in the introduction of my 13 yo male to another 8 yo male who I had to adopt when my mother died :(
I am seeking reassurance and perspective from this group, as this has been stressful as I try to mourn my mother's death, too.

The new cat has been with us for about three weeks, they were isolated for 12 days and then introductions were begun. Fast forward to today, we had four hours of blissful coexistence, resident cat watching new cat play while I plied him with treats. He had relaxed body language. They napped within feet of each other. All good.

At meal time I fed resident cat and tried to feed new cat, but new cat a free feeder (something else I am trying to break). Shortly after resident cat cornered new cat in a bedroom, I was able to separate without much problem, other than resident cat hissing.

My issues: the whole concept of feeding of opposite sides of the door is not working for me. My resident cat is like, Why are you feeding me here when my regular spot is 20 feet away? So I've been feeding treats on the opposite of the door, and that works most of the time. The resident cat can see a teeny bit of new cat.

Also, resident cat will sometimes just stand in front of the door where new cat is...he'll hiss and maybe growl. I get that's cat communication (resident cat is hissy to begin with, he hisses at his humans). Do I try and distract him from this?

Also annoying is when new cat is in his room, he's so unhappy! Cries for a few minutes until he settles down.

How is this going? How am I doing? Any other pointers for me? Thank you in advance!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That feeding on each side of the door never worked for us either. It was fine for the cat IN the safe room, but other cats were like yours, why are you feeding me on the 2nd floor instead of the kitchen as usual? And would walk away.

Not sure why you're still keeping them confined sometimes since you've been letting them out freely at other times. I can see if one was a kitten, that you'd want to keep it safer when you can't be there but with 2 adults, you should probably at this point let them out and assume all is fine unless they get into a real tussle, which doesn't sound like it's happened. Some hissing and growling is to be expected until they figure out their relationship.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That feeding on each side of the door never worked for us either. It was fine for the cat IN the safe room, but other cats were like yours, why are you feeding me on the 2nd floor instead of the kitchen as usual? And would walk away.

Not sure why you're still keeping them confined sometimes since you've been letting them out freely at other times. I can see if one was a kitten, that you'd want to keep it safer when you can't be there but with 2 adults, you should probably at this point let them out and assume all is fine unless they get into a real tussle, which doesn't sound like it's happened. Some hissing and growling is to be expected until they figure out their relationship.
Thank you so much for your quick response. I should point out. The only hissing is coming from the resident cat, while the newbie is fearful. I’m afraid newbie won’t eat! Do you really think I am ready to let them hang out together all day? It never even crossed my mind!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably have, but just in case, have you tried the scent swapping at this point?

That whole "behind the door thing" never worked for me either. The scent swapping with socks and blankets and rooms did have a positive impact.

(Edit: I missed where they napped together - DOH - still I wonder if more would help? Stick blankets and socks with each other?)

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for your quick response. I should point out. The only hissing is coming from the resident cat, while the newbie is fearful. I’m afraid newbie won’t eat! Do you really think I am ready to let them hang out together all day? It never even crossed my mind!
Considering they both have napped near each other, I'd say things are going well. As some point you need to just trust the process and also have the tolerance to stand back if things get a little heated for a moment. Let them see first if they can sort it out before stepping in.

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You probably have, but just in case, have you tried the scent swapping at this point?

That whole "behind the door thing" never worked for me either. The scent swapping with socks and blankets and rooms did have a positive impact.

(Edit: I missed where they napped together - DOH - still I wonder if more would help? Stick blankets and socks with each other?)
They napped about 5 feet apart, the resident on his chair and newbie on a sunny windowsill. I am still scent swapping but probably not as often as I should. The new cat also roams around the house when the old cat is in his favorite patio so he is leading a scent trail behind. I’m so relieved to hear that the feeding behind the door thing didn’t work for so many other people. I was feeling like a failure. I’m also working with a behaviorist who wants me to keep the cats apart 25 feet for three weeks, and that feels too slow to me.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They napped about 5 feet apart, the resident on his chair and newbie on a sunny windowsill. I am still scent swapping but probably not as often as I should. The new cat also roams around the house when the old cat is in his favorite patio so he is leading a scent trail behind. I’m so relieved to hear that the feeding behind the door thing didn’t work for so many other people. I was feeling like a failure. I’m also working with a behaviorist who wants me to keep the cats apart 25 feet for three weeks, and that feels too slow to me.
You aren't a failure. :-) Each situation is different and not every method works for each kitty. It is hard though when you see how well some things work for others and not you and it's so easy to think "What did I do wrong? Why am I failing so badly at this."

It's not you.

While that may feel slow to you. 3 weeks is nothing and may be what is needed.

When I brought the ferals in and intro'd to the resident kitty... it was a LOT longer than three weeks - and looking back - I wish I had taken longer.

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You aren't a failure. :-) Each situation is different and not every method works for each kitty. It is hard though when you see how well some things work for others and not you and it's so easy to think "What did I do wrong? Why am I failing so badly at this."

It's not you.

While that may feel slow to you. 3 weeks is nothing and may be what is needed.

When I brought the ferals in and intro'd to the resident kitty... it was a LOT longer than three weeks - and looking back - I wish I had taken longer.
Thank you! What I should’ve added to my comment is given the progress I am making, it feels like three weeks. Seems like a long time. But I get what you’re saying. Slow is best. It just kills me to hear my confined kitty crying all the time.

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! What I should’ve added to my comment is given the progress I am making, it feels like three weeks. Seems like a long time. But I get what you’re saying. Slow is best. It just kills me to hear my confined kitty crying all the time.
PS-that will cuddle together, I just want them to tolerate each other

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS-that will cuddle together, I just want them to tolerate each other
Oof that got cut off! I’m not looking for cuddling cats! Just toleration. That’s how my resident kitty lived with his littermate. We had to put her down in January.

labstuff444

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I'm in the middle of a similar situation. My two females got in a gnarly fight due to some redirected aggression and I've also had poor luck with standard reintroduction.
But it does sound like you are doing great.

The door feeding didn't work. But I got a large dog crate that i got them comfy with and I swap who eats inside of it. That way they can see eachother without touching or having the other steal their food.

Another MASSIVE help was getting some meds. I have one on low dose gabapentin and one on low dose trazodone and it's made them different cats.
It doesn't seem like you're at that point yet, but if they don't settle, some short term anxiety meds can do wonders.
I also use the feliway multi cat plug in because my vet recommended it. Idk how much of a difference it's made, but its politely reviewed so may be worth a try 🤞

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Taking on her cat is a big deal and a kind thing to do.
Good luck!!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is - it breaks you... but think of it this way... short term pain - long term gain. You are in this for the long run. So it feel like forever but a few months of GAHHHHH vs years after of peace for them... that is your focus! Keep your eye on the prize. You can do this!
Oof that got cut off! I’m not looking for cuddling cats! Just toleration. That’s how my resident kitty lived with his littermate. We had to put her down in January.
Lol I totally get that. Of all mine - there is some that barely tolerate and I would be ecstatic if they would. So I totally get that.

Cuddling and love would be a great bonus but accepting getting along in the same space is a close second! :cool:
You got this!

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I'm in the middle of a similar situation. My two females got in a gnarly fight due to some redirected aggression and I've also had poor luck with standard reintroduction.
But it does sound like you are doing great.

The door feeding didn't work. But I got a large dog crate that i got them comfy with and I swap who eats inside of it. That way they can see eachother without touching or having the other steal their food.

Another MASSIVE help was getting some meds. I have one on low dose gabapentin and one on low dose trazodone and it's made them different cats.
It doesn't seem like you're at that point yet, but if they don't settle, some short term anxiety meds can do wonders.
I also use the feliway multi cat plug in because my vet recommended it. Idk how much of a difference it's made, but its politely reviewed so may be worth a try 🤞

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Taking on her cat is a big deal and a kind thing to do.
Good luck!!
Thank you for your condolences ❤ new kitty is so sweet. My resident kitty was already on 50mg of gabapentin and the vet upped it to 100mg twice a day. (What is your cat’s dose?) Resident is also on zyklene. Both are helping. I’d love to give new kittie something - I may start sprinkling some zyklene in his food too. I also have feliways in a few places (agree about effectiveness!). I want this to work! Do you feel like the cats are doing better with the meds? Do you feel like you can see kitty tolerance in the future?

labstuff444

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your condolences ❤ new kitty is so sweet. My resident kitty was already on 50mg of gabapentin and the vet upped it to 100mg twice a day. (What is your cat’s dose?) Resident is also on zyklene. Both are helping. I’d love to give new kittie something - I may start sprinkling some zyklene in his food too. I also have feliways in a few places (agree about effectiveness!). I want this to work! Do you feel like the cats are doing better with the meds? Do you feel like you can see kitty tolerance in the future?
I'm not familiar with zyklene! But I'm glad to hear it's helping. Mine is on the 50mg 2x a day as well. But she's kinda small so the 100 hits her a little TOO hard. And I do see some kitty future peace thanks to the meds largely.
I definitely don't think meds would be a bad idea for your new kitty either. Especially if he is a bit anxious/timid. It may be why your resident cat is bullying him just a little. It may calm him enough to give a confidence boost.

But, so far I think its a great sign that a little corning and hissing is the worst its gotten. Therefore they don't have a big fear of each other.

Its hard to relax when they're in conflict. I know. So hang in there 🤞

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not familiar with zyklene! But I'm glad to hear it's helping. Mine is on the 50mg 2x a day as well. But she's kinda small so the 100 hits her a little TOO hard. And I do see some kitty future peace thanks to the meds largely.
I definitely don't think meds would be a bad idea for your new kitty either. Especially if he is a bit anxious/timid. It may be why your resident cat is bullying him just a little. It may calm him enough to give a confidence boost.

But, so far I think its a great sign that a little corning and hissing is the worst its gotten. Therefore they don't have a big fear of each other.

Its hard to relax when they're in conflict. I know. So hang in there 🤞
your last sentence sums it up so perfectly-it is hard to relax during conflict. My resident cat is nearly 17 lbs 😮 I’m so glad you see peace in the future! I hope the same for me 🙏🏻Thank you for your support.

labstuff444

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
your last sentence sums it up so perfectly-it is hard to relax during conflict. My resident cat is nearly 17 lbs 😮 I’m so glad you see peace in the future! I hope the same for me 🙏🏻Thank you for your support.
17?? Wow! My bigger one is 14 lbs and the other is 8 lbs. And I thought 14 was STURDY.
And yes!! It's something I've had to work HARD on. Making sure I'm feeling stable before i put them together so they aren't just feeding off of my fear.
Its taken over 3 weeks and a medication change for me to see this improvement. Do don't lose hope if it's taking a minute.

I'm also consulting a behavioral vet here in like a week and a half (idk if I mentioned that on my original post) but I'll update if I get any extra interesting tips from him.

Shagop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
17?? Wow! My bigger one is 14 lbs and the other is 8 lbs. And I thought 14 was STURDY.
And yes!! It's something I've had to work HARD on. Making sure I'm feeling stable before i put them together so they aren't just feeding off of my fear.
Its taken over 3 weeks and a medication change for me to see this improvement. Do don't lose hope if it's taking a minute.

I'm also consulting a behavioral vet here in like a week and a half (idk if I mentioned that on my original post) but I'll update if I get any extra interesting tips from him.
I am also working with a behavioral vet (who tipped me off to zyklene). i'll be curious to hear what he has to say! and what you said about feeding off fear. every time i open the door to the new cat's room my heart is racing a million miles a minute. why?!