Please help with big decision

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Your plan sounds good. I agree, put the carrier in the room now. I can't remember if she likes treats, but if so can put a few in there daily to have some kind of positive association. Although when she's closed in it that positive will go away. But, I have a carrier out full time and one of my cats likes to rest in it now.
For sure make sure the bedroom door is closed. Don't want her running around the house and trying to catch her.
It may be tramatic with having to catch her if she wiggles out of the cave, but it's for the best. Waffles is scared for at least a day after a vet visit but he always totally comes back to his usual self. During that time you'll have to give her lots of room and time to rebound at her own speed. Don't get discouraged if that happens, or at least remember she'll come back. She may avoid the cat cave, yes. But she'll find comfort elsewhere where she needs to. She is in charge.

The video is hilarious! It cracks me up also when they sit on the toy on purpose and then jump up in the air like they are surprised they sat on something!
Best of luck! You are doing fantastic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks pearl99! Today I put a small cat-grass container in the carrier (Dynah rarely eats treats). I have to keep the carrier in the other room because it is just too large for her room. But she LOVES cat-grass and went in the carrier part ways to get at it. The carrier has been in that room with the door open since she started roaming a few months ago so, she is used to it and does sniff around it from time to time.

Thank you for the vote of confidence too! Monday can't come quick enough! :thanks:

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just had a thought. One of my cats can be picked up but it isn't easy to get him into a carrier. What works is to put the carrier (a large plastic one) on end and put a towel on the bottom. (The carrier also has a mat on the floor of the carrier.) I then pick up the cat and gently (and quickly!) drop him down into the carrier on top of the towel, latch the door, and slowly tip the carrier back into place. It is harder for the cat to escape this way and easier for me to get the door locked quickly. I wonder if you could do this with Dynah, holding her cat cave above the upturned carrier and letting her slip down onto a towel or something soft in the carrier. I don't mean to complicate things so please ignore this idea if you are happy with your plans!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Greg
So tomorrow is the big day- don't overthink and give off stress vibes,stay calm and do your best to stick to your plan of transferring from her cave to the carrier-Dynah is going to be fine and once she's back it's highly likely she'll go right back to her cave- don't worry about things that might not even happen!

Your plan is a chain of events,much too complicated for a cat to associate starting with her cave- I'm pretty confident she won't associate that negatively- the carrier more so but after she's home and settled in again you can work on getting her to associate the carrier in a positive way- and you will be successful

You've brought Dynah a long ways from the terrified little feral she once was - it will not be a huge setback,I assure you.... her home is her established territory now and she associates that with all good things,that's what has been ingrained so far and one little trip in a carrier will not undo her reconditioning- probably worse for you than for her😁

Stay cool,calm and collected- it will soon be overwith👍

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Greg
So tomorrow is the big day- don't overthink and give off stress vibes,stay calm and do your best to stick to your plan of transferring from her cave to the carrier-Dynah is going to be fine and once she's back it's highly likely she'll go right back to her cave- don't worry about things that might not even happen!

Your plan is a chain of events,much too complicated for a cat to associate starting with her cave- I'm pretty confident she won't associate that negatively- the carrier more so but after she's home and settled in again you can work on getting her to associate the carrier in a positive way- and you will be successful

You've brought Dynah a long ways from the terrified little feral she once was - it will not be a huge setback,I assure you.... her home is her established territory now and she associates that with all good things,that's what has been ingrained so far and one little trip in a carrier will not undo her reconditioning- probably worse for you than for her😁

Stay cool,calm and collected- it will soon be overwith👍
Thank you Kwik! Posts like this go a very long way to keeping one sane :crazy: It will work out.

The funny thing is this morning, for the first time in a while, Dynah slept in the Cat-house after her nightly roaming and playing :( NOT in her Cat-Cave in her bedroom.

So I think I will try and monitor when she goes in her Cat-Cave during the night, and close the door to her room. (I have a security cam in both rooms) If she stays in the Cat-House, then I may try Plan B. Not sure what Plan B is yet :lol:. Something like suit up, grab and go!!!

Thanks folks. I will certainly report back! :hellocomputer:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Kwik! Posts like this go a very long way to keeping one sane :crazy: It will work out.

The funny thing is this morning, for the first time in a while, Dynah slept in the Cat-house after her nightly roaming and playing :( NOT in her Cat-Cave in her bedroom.

So I think I will try and monitor when she goes in her Cat-Cave during the night, and close the door to her room. (I have a security cam in both rooms) If she stays in the Cat-House, then I may try Plan B. Not sure what Plan B is yet :lol:. Something like suit up, grab and go!!!

Thanks folks. I will certainly report back! :hellocomputer:
Look forward to it- I pray you'll have an easy time getting her in the carrier,once she's in there you are home free

And Greg if the opportunity arises and you can get her into the carrier tonight then do that,she'll be fine overnight in the carrier - I've done it many times when it happened that way with ferals hard to capture

So look for your best opportunity ❤

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing occurred to me- Waffles always poops in the carrier when we are on the way in the car to the vet- from stress. My kitty Gracie always peed in the carrier on vet trips, even though I could pick her up and carry her anywhere. Take extra clean towels with you to switch out for the trip home. Waffles also sometimes poops on the scale when. being weighed in the vet's office. So, don't be alarmed! It happens.
Hope all goes well tomorrow! She will be fine. This is all just protective instinct and she will bounce back.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it did not work out. Dynah was on full alert inside catcave. I tried to sqeeze the opening shut but her head was already part way out and she jumped out and ran. Dang she is strong and fast. I swear she knew something was up yesterday!

I let the vet know and I will let things cool down before I attempt this again another day.
In the meantime, I have been treating Dynah with the de-worm meds I had already. Hopeful that med will help in getting rid of them as we move forward.

I also left the carrier in her room with catgrass in it. At least she is not to leary of it. She already began sniffing around it and looking inside.

Thanks again guys. To be continued...

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it did not work out. Dynah was on full alert inside catcave. I tried to sqeeze the opening shut but her head was already part way out and she jumped out and ran. Dang she is strong and fast. I swear she knew something was up yesterday!

I let the vet know and I will let things cool down before I attempt this again another day.
In the meantime, I have been treating Dynah with the de-worm meds I had already. Hopeful that med will help in getting rid of them as we move forward.

I also left the carrier in her room with catgrass in it. At least she is not to leary of it. She already began sniffing around it and looking inside.

It's okay- don't get discouraged,plans don't always work out when we want them to

It'll happen Greg,-shes not named Dynah MITE for nothing,lol❤

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Yep, cats are smart. They can sense things coming up.

Yea, try another day. This is normal.

Dinah Doll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys. Actually, this makes me less stressed. Next time I will be more assertive....and have my coffee before I attempt it again!!!

Thanks for your support as always :grouphug: